OK who turbo-charged my horizontal and vertical zoom?

Robert Bone

Howdy and good morning.

The other night, I was working on a project with my bass player, capturing bass parts and Taurus bass pedal parts, when I began experiencing something quite annoying - anytime I clicked more than a couple times on the Horizontal Zoom (either in or out), rather than continue with the same sort of incremental zoom behavior of the first couple clicks, it would suddenly act like it was possessed, and would continue to scroll, in whichever direction I had been clicking, to where it would have taken me dozens and dozens of mouse clicks.

SO - if I started with a measure being about 1 inch in width, and was zooming out, after about the 3rd click or so, it would just keep zooming, finally stopping where each measure was about the width of the measure number.  If, before I had zoomed out, I was at measure 1, after its crazy auto-zooming, now the way the measures were squished together, within that same approximately 1-inch width, I would see 1, then measure 27, then measure 53, and finally measure 79.

AND, this new 'feature' is happening with completely new projects, as well, where it happens with an empty new project.

The above explains the horizontal zoom behavior, but the same sort of thing occurs with vertical zoom.

Any ideas on how to get my Cakewalk installation to not be such an over-achiever?

Bob Bone

Or keyboard... the special function keys are what always got first on mine, specifically the CTRL key, which makes for interesting troubleshooting when it fails. The mouse would make more sense for what you are seeing, since as the contacts go it is common to suddenly get "double-clicks" when you think you have only done one. You could test that in the Windows mouse options and see if single clicks are triggering the double-click folder; but if that is the root cause, you would also be seeing it anywhere you use the mouse (that takes double click inputs).

So - if it were a stuck key, I would think I would see that key value consistently being generated, but this accelerated zoom takes a few clicks - consistently so - before it super-zooms either in or out, depending on which way I am zooming, and it does it for both vertical and horizontal zooms.

So - I am thinking maybe I hit some key combo or shortcut, that somehow set the behavior somehow, to be different than normal, but it has persisted, so that even in a brand new project, this same behavior continues.

Bob Bone

Bobby,

I have the same issue with my built-in Dell Touch pad mouse.  It seems to be related to the driver written by a company called Alps.  You can go into the touchpad settings and disable the drag/drop checkbox as that seems to minimize, unfortunately not eliminate, the issue.

Clipboard01.jpg

• Great Idea 1

Ugh, the Dell Touchpad.

While you're at it, see if you can figure out how to get Windows 10 not to turn my desktop into little shrunken versions of everything whenever I move the cursor diagonally upper left-->lower right.

Since down at the lower right is where the Synth Rack shows up, imagine what fun I have whenever I happen to invoke Synth Rack view from the menu, which is in the upper left, then try to zip the cursor down to the lower right to interact with the Synth Rack I just made visible.

And anyone thinking of offering the suggestion that I instead invoke it with Alt-9, just don't.

Touch pads can be a nuisance. I am not sure how customizable they are these days, but I have met several people (including myself) who inadvertently trigger them just by proximity. Every person generates a different body potential, so they are not "one size fits all." Just the fact that you have to reach across it to use the keyboard can cause issues if your potential is high.

I was told once during some ESD training years ago that they had clocked someone at roughly 50,000V (can't validate it, but that is way high)... while the focus was protection of un-shunted parts, that comment suddenly made me think, "Maybe spontaneous combustion isn't a sham after all."

Edited by mettelus

8 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Which keys are you pressing to perform this zoom ?

Well on the Touch Pad on the laptop, I click on the little + or - to zoom in our out.  After 3 or 4 clicks it just auto-zooms either all the way in or all the way out, like it has a mind of its own

Bob Bone

I have two laptops . One is Macbook Pro the other is a think pad with a multi touch screen. On the Mac I use its mouse pad on the Thinkpad I use a wireless mouse even though it has a mouse pad and the IBM type red gizmo in the middle of the keyboard.  

It is a Tecknet mouse . Works great!