RIP Terry Hall - lead singer of the Specials dies aged 63

Wibbles

Terry Hall, the lead singer of the Specials and a former member of Fun Boy Three and the Colourfield, has died aged 63, his bandmates in the Specials have confirmed.

“It is with great sadness that we announce the passing, following a brief illness, of Terry, our beautiful friend, brother and one of the most brilliant singers, songwriters and lyricists this country has ever produced,” the band tweeted.

• Sad 2

RIP.  Went to a concert in 81 in Philadelphia to see them with my fellow local ska band members, really Special! Our drummer was tossing our very “stylish” buttons onto the stage when they were on stage. Also playing were The Police and GoGos and Oingo Boingo who I had never heard of and became an instant fan. Special event for sure. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, treesha said:

RIP.  Went to a concert in 81 in Philadelphia to see them with my fellow local ska band members, really Special! Our drummer was tossing our very “stylish” buttons onto the stage when they were on stage. Also playing were The Police and GoGos and Oingo Boingo who I had never heard of and became an instant fan. Special event for sure. 

Oingo Boingo was my favorite band for quite a while growing up.  I hired a consultant to help my area once and found out he was Danny Elfman's best friend!  They were neighbors in Malibu.  Ironically, he didn't care for Danny's music, but they both loved B-movies.  The best part is that he told Danny about me and I ended up with two tickets up front to one of their famous Halloween concerts at Irvine Meadows (about a mile from my home at that time!).  I got to take the hot office girl we all called Alice (because she looked like her from Alice in Wonderland) and we sat next to Danny's wife and kid.  Got to meet some of the band as well including Steve Bartek who I kept in touch with for several years afterwards.  Good memories! 😊

(Needed something better to think about!  Too many people dying lately...😕)

• Like 1