Aternative to Audified Mixchecker

mgustavo

Hi, I'd like to ask if is there an app similar to Audified Mixchecker? I've been testing my mixes on different sources and there's always something to be fixed!
Mixchecker seems to be a nice tool to use but it's beyond my budget at the moment!

@mibby suggested me https://www.tbproaudio.de/products/isol8 on Favorite Freeware FX Thread and it's a cool software but it's not so user friendly, as Mixchecker seems to work with presets that simulate different speakers.
I read some articles on internet about different speakers and it's respective frequency bands but I feel lost on how to get the same result with Isol8.

Does someone could suggest me some reading on this subject?
Thanks in advance!

Hi @mgustavo

May I suggest that when you are trying to dial in the frequencies and levels on your mix, first find a commercial song (or a few) that have a similar sound (or sections) to what you think your mix should sound like. Then compare your mix vs the commercial reference with the different frequency ranges on the isol8 plugin.   It will help you identify pretty quickly if you have too much bass in your mix for example.  If you can get your mix in the ballpark of a commercial mix after soloing the different frequency ranges, it'll get you a lot closer than just trying to make it sound good on the different Mixchecker options. 

The key is to reference your mix against known good mixes to see how and where you can improve yours.  If your mix sounds comparable to your reference tracks, it should translate just fine on different speakers and in different settings.

PS. When you listen to your reference track, make sure that it is not running through any of the processing and effects that your mix is.  :)

Edited by mibby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @mibby
Thank you for the response! Despite I've read about reference tracks I still didn't use them! I'll try to change my habit including them on my mixes!

9 hours ago, mibby said:

PS. When you listen to your reference track, make sure that it is not running through any of the processing and effects that your mix is.  :)

Yes, that's important! Thanks for the reminder!

Also sometimes I use LANDR and they have improved their preview options letting one upload a reference track for AI mastering, but I didn't use it too much.
And another point is I still don't have a decent place and equipment to mix my recordings, but at least I have a few acoustic panels, which I belive are useful.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1