(Solved) Existing projects can't find AD2 after I moved it to another drive

pinguinotuerto

Hello everyone! 

I moved Addictive Drums 2 to a different drive using the XLN online installer to see if it helps with some dropout issues I'm having in Cakewalk and now my existing projects can't find AD2 even though the vsti is still in the same folder as before. I only moved the AD2 application, not the virtual instrument. I ran the plugin manager and everything seems fine. If I create a new project, Cakewalk finds AD2, but if I open an existing project that had AD2 in it, Cakewalk can't find the plugin. Seems to me Cakewalk is looking for the original path for the application itself although the path for the vsti is still the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by pinguinotuerto
Solved

7 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

If this happened to me, I would contact XLN. I had an issue around a year or so ago and they replied right away.

I did. Waiting to hear back, although it seems to me the issue is project specific within Cakewalk itself because it will find AD2 if I create a new project. Any existing project that had AD2 can't find it. 

2 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i usually run the XLN installer to reset (i typically remove the 32-bit dll - and periodically the installer says the install is broken). then re-scan VST in CW.

Hi Glen,

I did that already and it made no difference. The strange thing is that Cakewalk finds AD2 in new projects with no issues. If I had moved the vsti, then I would understand this happening, but I did not. 

27 minutes ago, pinguinotuerto said:

. . . it seems to me the issue is project specific within Cakewalk itself because it will find AD2 if I create a new project. Any existing project that had AD2 can't find it. 

Makes sense that Cakewalk people would have some thoughts on this issue.

47 minutes ago, pinguinotuerto said:

. . . even though the vsti is still in the same folder as before. . . .

I assume vsti = *.dll and/or *.vst3 file.  I noticed that addictive drums 2 also has resources. 

1 minute ago, pinguinotuerto said:

I did that already [Glenn's suggestion] and it made no difference. The strange thing is that Cakewalk finds AD2 in new projects with no issues. If I had moved the vsti, then I would understand this happening, but I did not. 

Does the vstscan.log have any clues?  I am not an expert in understanding all the details, but sometimes I have spotted some issues with specific plug-ins. From my limited knowledge, it does seem odd that the issue is only with existing projects.   I always assumed that after a rescan existing projects would pick up the latest plug-in details.

Maybe someone with knowledge of what goes on "under the hood" has some insights

When I open the plug-in manager and I look at the properties of The Addictive Drums 2 plug in, I see the path to the VST folder which has never changed. That's the only thing that I can manually change within Cakewalk, but there's no need to change it because the plugin is still in the same folder.

XLN helped me solve the issue. The problem was not that I moved AD2 to a different drive, but that I unchecked VST2 in the XLN online installer. I was under the impression I was using the VST3 version of AD2, but I think what happened was that I used a template when I started this project that had the VST2 version of AD2 instead of the VST3. That's why when I would create a new project from scratch, it found AD2 (because it was inserting the VST3 version), but the existing project couldn't find AD2 because it was looking for the VST2 and I had unchecked that box in the XLN installer.  Lesson learned. 

36 minutes ago, pinguinotuerto said:

Yeah, I had the migration boxes checked. I guess Cakewalk sees the VST2 and VST3 versions of AD2 as two separate plugins (that's what XLN said) and that's why it wouldn't replace the VST2 with the VST3 automatically. 

That sounds logical. Great you have made them aware of it.