BEST PLUGIN FOR EXTRACTING STEMS?

user390096

I'll answer my question myself. Came across RipXDeepAudio and it works as a Region FX and can creat nice sounding stems within minutes and groups them in a folder within My Documents. They are labelled, drums, bass, vocal, and other. Very nice but the cost is around $350 I think. Is there a cheaper alternative that can do what RipX does?

i just use busses with the components in it (drums, bass, guitars, keys, vox, etc etc) - w/o group reverbs - and simply use the CW export tool. set the output to busses, select the "stem" busses, etc. then save as a task (so it's easy to repeat). export. i do the same when recording - export tracks from my recording template then import into mix template. the reason for not exporting the busses with the group reverbs is to avoid having the reverb share tracks across stems. whoever is working with the stems later can add their own reverb to it. or if it's important, export the reverbs as separate stems. 

i set up subfolders in the project exported audio folder - "tracks" and "stems". 

----

never mind i misread this. you're looking to split a single file into stems... i tried out the deeter software - it is definitely cool, however, you need a fast machine otherwise this can take several hours to run... the end result though are pretty intelligently split instrument tracks...

Edited by Glenn Stanton
misread the OP question

RipX comes out best in most reviews, but depending on the kind of stems you want to separate another program might be as good or better. Regarding price there are cheaper and free options as well. 

Here are some other options:

Some reviews: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanx Teegarden, you really nailed it as I had found comparisons but not geared towards Cakewalk. I'm trying out Simple Stems now (early Xmas present. My wife would have no clue what this sort of thing is to give me for Xmas).

Is there a program that can separate vocal harmonies? That's what I really want to do. All of them I've tried  so far seem to isolate the lead vocal very well but I don't think any separate harmonies.

Edited by user390096
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried Gaudio Studio. Has some potential but has trouble distinguishing keyboard instruments and guitars. I took a simple song with two guitars, drums, electric piano and vocals. It put all instruments as "other instruments" the vocal separation was pretty smooth.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 10:38 AM, user390096 said:

Thanx Teegarden, you really nailed it as I had found comparisons but not geared towards Cakewalk. I'm trying out Simple Stems now (early Xmas present. My wife would have no clue what this sort of thing is to give me for Xmas).

Is there a program that can separate vocal harmonies? That's what I really want to do. All of them I've tried  so far seem to isolate the lead vocal very well but I don't think any separate harmonies.

Melodyne could easily find the notes. You might be able to delete the ones you don’t need. Not a quick fix but doable. 

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to check out some of our software, we have a couple of options available.

As a standalone software we have DeMIX Pro or DeMIX Essentials, Pro has more options but Essentials is cheaper.

We also have DeMIXER.com which is a web based pay as you go version.

And we are currently developing our extraction software as a plug-in.

I see Spleeter, Lalal, and Audionamix's Xtrax Stems have been mentioned already but have a listen for yourself to the quality difference.

https://www.audiosourcere.com/post/who-has-better-vocals-spleeter-audionamix-lalal-or-demix-pro

• Like 2