GSatPlus is better than most saturation plugin

satya

Here's the video you tried to link.
Paul Third has a number of insightful videos.  GSatPlus mentioned at 4:20 but listen to whole video.

Here's a link to GStatPlus https://www.tbproaudio.de/products/gsatplus

Here's another Paul Third video on GSatPlus - this time bashing SSL Fusion Drive

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am a fan of Paul Third. Here's a recent one that really oughta be pinned at the top of the Deals subforum. Over the years, the more experienced I get the fewer plugins I use. I think most folks end up following a similar trajectory.

Apologies to the OP for drifting off-topic. To the topic, I'll add just three observations:

• saturation is used too often, is applied too heavy-handedly and rarely makes anything actually sound better
  • many plugins that purport to be saturators actually do little to nothing, or aren't even saturators
  • if you're intent on using a saturation plugin, use a freebie like GSatPlus so at least you're not out any money

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Apologies to the OP for drifting off-topic. To the topic, I'll add just three observations:

• saturation is used too often, is applied too heavy-handedly and rarely makes anything actually sound better
  • many plugins that purport to be saturators actually do little to nothing, or aren't even saturators
  • if you're intent on using a saturation plugin, use a freebie like GSatPlus so at least you're not out any money

How do you use saturation and what's your favorite one, assuming you do use it?

4 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

How do you use saturation and what's your favorite one, assuming you do use it?

I treat saturation for what it is: nonlinear compression with distortion. IOW, it emulates the effect of tape saturation. On the master, it mushes everything together and smooths the rough edges, the way magnetic tape does  when pushed beyond its linear region.

The technique was discovered back in the day when engineers were actually trying to get the best possible SNR, with "N" being tape hiss. Toward that end, for a high-fidelity recording they'd push the signal level up just short of where the tape began to saturate. Rock 'n roll mixers discovered that if you didn't stop there and pushed it just a little bit harder, the tape saturation began to do some of their work for them by flattening peaks of the higher frequencies.

I don't use saturation often, because I don't miss tape and I embrace the clarity and honesty of digital audio.

On the rare occasions when I do use it, it'll be FabFilter Saturn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Fleer said:

Same here, FabFilter Saturn 2. 

21 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I don't use saturation often, because I don't miss tape and I embrace the clarity and honesty of digital audio.

On the rare occasions when I do use it, it'll be FabFilter Saturn.

I want to note, for anyone reading this that FabFilter seems to be the best of the best when it comes to effects plugins. Now, I don't write that as a user, as they're beyond my budget (and talent level!). Frankly, I often read  posts you guys and others  here have made and, on numerous occasions, bought plugins based on your recommendations as you folks know far more than me (which is pretty close to nothing) about mixing/mastering  -- when those plugins are inexpensive (Softube comes to mind, which I find makes really good plugins and has great sales prices). I wanted to add that I have two musician friends IMMENSELY more talented and knowledgeable than me who are my go-to guys for all things music related. They don't know each other and they both regard FabFilter as superb. Someday, if I ever figure out mixing and if I find I create something worthy of the investment, I'm definitely picking up some FabFilter plugins.

I found this conversation really useful. So thanks to everyone weighing in with their views. I've been lurking, and reading it all!

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, satyabrata satapathy said:

How do u put the link that it plays on the forum

Don't use the link at the top of your browser. Instead, right-click on the video and select "copy video URL" or "copy video URL at current time" if you want the video to start playing at a specific point. Paste that into your post and the software will do the rest.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John Bradley said:

Any influencer who tells me "no, seriously, you don't need to buy any more plugins" is a saint in my book.

Normally I would agree if I believed for a second he was doing it for any other reason than to feed his own ego. All of already know we don't need more plug-ins. He just ads the torch and pitchfork element lol

51 minutes ago, Esteban Villanova said:

Thing is, if you run any "analog emulation" saturation plugin through Plugin Doctor you'll get an EQ curve. Does that make them snake oil?

Not sure I understand the question. I think the point that Paul was making is that the Waves plugin has a signal chain of EQ -> Saturation -> EQ. When you look at what the saturation is doing at subtle levels (as part of the presets), it isn't doing anything: the 'magic' that you hear is actually a gain-unmatched EQ; there's a psychoacoustic phenomenon that makes us believe (at least initially) that louder sounds sound 'better' (hence the loudness wars a few years ago). The second point he was making was that when you crank the dials so that the saturation module is actually doing something, the oversampling doesn't work above x2 and makes an aliasing mess of the sound.

A saturation plugin without EQ in the chain shouldn't produce an EQ curve. Instead, it will add harmonics to the original sound. In creating the additional material, the result is that the sounds is richer/thicker/warmer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, antler said:

Not sure I understand the question. I think the point that Paul was making is that the Waves plugin has a signal chain of EQ -> Saturation -> EQ. When you look at what the saturation is doing at subtle levels (as part of the presets), it isn't doing anything: the 'magic' that you hear is actually a gain-unmatched EQ; there's a psychoacoustic phenomenon that makes us believe (at least initially) that louder sounds sound 'better' (hence the loudness wars a few years ago). The second point he was making was that when you crank the dials so that the saturation module is actually doing something, the oversampling doesn't work above x2 and makes an aliasing mess of the sound.

A saturation plugin without EQ in the chain shouldn't produce an EQ curve. Instead, it will add harmonics to the original sound. In creating the additional material, the result is that the sounds is richer/thicker/warmer.

Turn off the transformer switch then there is no curve.  Then one can use the beauty/beast knobs for saturation.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Esteban Villanova said:

Thing is, if you run any "analog emulation" saturation plugin through Plugin Doctor you'll get an EQ curve. Does that make them snake oil?

I think the marketing is overhyped, but I also find that using Plugin Doctor has become the equivalent of the mother in law with white glove. Dirt will be found no matter how clean your home is.  Audio snobs will often say mix with your ears and not with your eyes. Many of these companies have decided that the extra GPU hit going overboard to produce great Plugin Doctor readings is not worth it if it sounds good.  As a person who has produced hundreds of tv ads, I know that marketing is going to be full of hyperbole. That doesn't mean they all are attempting deception.

On 12/17/2022 at 1:46 PM, bitflipper said:

I am a fan of Paul Third. Here's a recent one that really oughta be pinned at the top of the Deals subforum. Over the years, the more experienced I get the fewer plugins I use. I think most folks end up following a similar trajectory.

I did a mix with the masters class with Andrew Scheps and saturation is one of the first things he reaches for. I asked him how often he reached for saturation before EQ and I’ll have to check my notes but I believe his answer was “always!”