Bye Bye MacPro

Bapu

I've uninstalled everything music related on my mid-2012 Mac Pro.

The machine is forever limited to Catalina OS.

I really never used it beyond testing cross platform DAWs.

So I'm now back to Windows 10 only DAWs. Never got on with Logic 9 anyway, and the machine was not compatible with Logic 10.

53 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I've uninstalled everything music related on my mid-2012 Mac Pro.

I really never used it beyond testing cross platform DAWs.

So I'm now back to Windows 10 only DAWs. Never got on with Logic 9 anyway, and the machine was not compatible with Logic 10.

Why not windows on this mac pro ?.'

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

I still have my Surface Pro 3 that came out in 2015. It's still on Win10, but it is still very usable. I have CW installed on it and ED3, EZB, EZK, BiaB, and all of AAS stuff along with other plugins. Works fine as a scratch pad while I am at work. Take it on vacations with us. I'm still getting my money's worth out of it.

Looking at a Surface Pro 9. They got one with an i7 1255U at Bestbuy for around $1600. The Surface 3 I got now has 2 cores 4 threads and does everything I want it too. And I have never reinstalled Windows in it since I got it. It came with Win8 with a free upgrade  to 10. Have been updating it ever since. Really have gotten good service for it. Drawing on it is so much fun!!

Edited by Grem

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

Gee that sounds like a step up from where I was when I read your post .

Long story short ...for the past week I have been using only my 2007 Mac Book ...

It's locked in on Snow Leopard ...Any way after I read your post I had to shut it down and enlist a windows lap top because I was not able to sign in here while using  the out dated Mac Book . .... 😆

Kenny

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zo said:

So what's the plan for this one ? still great machines if ya ask me !

Specs
2 x 3.46 Ghz 6 core Intel Xenon
128gb 1333MHz DDR3
1TB SSD OS drive
970 EVO NVme (1TB) - Note I may just keep this for my Win box.
8TB internal HD
2 x 4TB internal HDs
Thunderbolt3
NVIDIA Metal GeForce GTX 690 2GB video

Also included:
4TB External Drive
1TB External Drive
EW Mac Install USB drive (2021 version)

Imma thinking to sell it on craigslist for $500 as a 'priced to sell' item. If no bites, then I'll go to ebay.

Then Imma sell my 2 UAD Thunderbolt 2 OCTO Satellites with a TB2->TB3 adapter and daisy chain TB2 cables for $800. Again, 'priced to sell'.

• Like 1

Ah, Snow Leopard + Logic 9 - my all-time favorite combo. I've kept 9 installed on my iMac for as long as the OS upgrades allowed it. Took me quite a bit of time to fully transition to 10, and I always liked to work in 9 every chance I got. I'm still running it on my 2010 MBP. Never had any issue with it - works just as fine as the day I unboxed the laptop and installed the software

I'd be curious to see how it runs on a Mac Pro.

55 minutes ago, craigb said:

4819904940_0847bdd3cf_z.jpg

This one brings back memories! My first wife and I's very first computer. Not sure what year and model, but it was a small, black and white Mac just like that. Actually, her parents had a bunch of them around the house - her dad picked them up from the CBC when they upgraded their computers. And we inherited one. I still remember that noisy old printer that came with it...

I never actually used it, other than to proofread her homework. I didn't believe in computers back then. :P

Edited by Rain

1 hour ago, Rain said:

Ah, Snow Leopard + Logic 9 - my all-time favorite combo. I've kept 9 installed on my iMac for as long as the OS upgrades allowed it. Took me quite a bit of time to fully transition to 10, and I always liked to work in 9 every chance I got. I'm still running it on my 2010 MBP. Never had any issue with it - works just as fine as the day I unboxed the laptop and installed the software

I'd be curious to see how it runs on a Mac Pro.

I happen to like this humble combination of Logic 9 and Snow Leopard .

It is as reliable a combination as you have mentioned and I always enjoy myself when ever I take a break from Windows and use my 15 year old Mac .

Kenny

• Like 1

Before the company I worked for back when Macs first came out hired a true Apple guy, I had to support them along with mainframe systems.  I did have some fun though by replacing many of the default Mac sounds with my own stuff! 😆

I replaced the duck quack with me saying "quack!" for example.  Cracked my secretary up.  (Yes, this is back when people had secretaries and not "administrative assistants!")

Good times. 🙂

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, kennywtelejazz said:

I happen to like this humble combination of Logic 9 and Snow Leopard .

It is as reliable a combination as you have mentioned and I always enjoy myself when ever I take a break from Windows and use my 15 year old Mac .

Kenny

My 2010 MBP running Logic 9 a few years back after I had to uninstall it from my main DAW and I was testing it with my NI interface.  It just feels so streamlined and so darn fast. Plus, I spent so much time studying for the certifications that I know it like the back of my hand, like it's an extension of my brain.

53843120_10156373937487582_6151327014021234688_n.thumb.jpg.a4bfcc82cac2266f6a0dcb0d7ed7fbba.jpg

• Like 2