Can't choose MIDI output

Noble Berg

I'm trying to make a MIDI track output either to the master or my Scarlet 4i4 headphone output, but I can't. I'm using ASIO as it's the only one that works for me with low enough latency on Cakewalk.  The only outputs are "Digital Piano", which just outputs to the keyboard I'm using, "Microsoft GS Wavetable synth", which only outputs to my Realtek speakers (which would be fine, but those only work on non-ASIO, which makes the latency too high to record audio along to a MIDI track), and "Focusrite USB MIDI" which doesn't seem to output anywhere I can find. No problems at all on audio tracks, they output to the master which outputs into my Scarlet headphone output. 

I'm a total idiot with this stuff so any help is appreciated!

Your MIDI track needs to be routed to a sound generating object (virtual instrument) that can create an audio output that can be heard. MIDI itself does not make any sound that can be heard on headphones or speakers, it is just the data or instructions needed by a virtual instrument to play a sound.

In Cakewalk this is most easily accomplished by inserting a virtual instrument plugin on an instrument track which combines MIDI input with audio output.

Suggest this video for details: