UJAM virtual pianist Vibe

Nick Blanc

https://www.ujam.com/pianist/vibe/#product--553

The second installment in the Virtual Pianist range. This time focused on the electric piano. 

Full price 149. Intro price 99. Loyalty price 75. Not sure what product you need for the loyalty, I qualify and I don't have Vogue (the other virtual pianist).

They knock it out of the park again with their walkthrough.

I think it sounds awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd been thinking about the Vogue Virtual Piano for a long time.  I'm a pretty decent pianist,  so I lean towards instruments that take my keyboard playing and add to it.  So, for example, the EZKeys series is not that useful to me, because it's faster for me to play what comes to my mind (and fix the MIDI) rather than sift through a bunch of presets, like I have to do with drums.  Scaler and Picked Acoustic are perfect for me, are some of the ujam basses.   I just had a feeling that Vogue might be that kind of instrument.  So on the last day of the ujam BF sale, I gave in and downloaded the demo, even though I had already spent too much.   I played it for a few hours and I quickly decided it was going to be my favorite ujam instrument--and more importantly, my most used ujam instrument.  Not only did it add to my jamming, it was inspiring.  The best way I would describe it is that if you are a passable piano player, Vogue can make you sound like   @Simeon AmburgeyOf course you won't be able to play everything he plays, but it will take your playing to a whole new level.  Another way is that it's like the Cubase FlexPhraser, but with a better piano sound. 

So I would strongly recommend that you all download the free demo and see if it is something that works for you.  It does work with one finger playing.  The demo is free, it is fully functional and lasts a month.

It am basically sold on anything ujam brings out from the Virtual Piano series.  So when I heard about VIBE, I didn't have to watch the video.  I've spent much less time with it than Vogue, but my impression is that this will be more useful for the kind of music I make now.  It's great, but in a different way.

The two instruments load in the same Virtual Piano instrument.  It's a player, like the way the Usynth series works.  You just choose one.  One thing you can't do is use the patterns from one on the other--I hope they add that someday.  I also hope they add what everybody wants from ujam instruments--direct MIDI out.  Drag and drop is not anywhere as useful.

EDIT:  IMHO, The most important feature of these instruments is that the pitch wheel handles velocity and the modwheel makes the patterns more complex and intricate. This is where you can take a performance to a whole new level. way above mere pattern playing. And of course it's easy to revise the cc later.  I wish that the Session Guitarist series worked like this.  

But absolutely don't trust me.  Get the free demo and see for yourself.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I was not impressed with Vogue - I thought it was too expensive for what it offered.  And at that price I would expect MIDI out.

So I was a bit reluctant when they announced Vibe, but what the heck - it's a 30 day demo, so I decided to try it.

Well, Vibe surprised me - I like this very much - perhaps because it's a more percussive instrument.   It seems to create much better results than Vogue, but I still feel it's a bit pricey and the lack of MIDI out is terrible.  (Maybe they are saving MIDI out for V2 when they can charge everyone for an upgrade?)

I'll play with this a bit more tonight, but I am leaning towards purchasing it.  (And yeah, I feel I should get a discounted price as I own at least 15 Ujam products, but it appears they only want to give a discount to Vogue owners.)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Michael A.D. said:

I was not impressed with Vogue - I thought it was too expensive for what it offered.  And at that price I would expect MIDI out.

So I was a bit reluctant when they announced Vibe, but what the heck - it's a 30 day demo, so I decided to try it.

Well, Vibe surprised me - I like this very much - perhaps because it's a more percussive instrument.   It seems to create much better results than Vogue, but I still feel it's a bit pricey and the lack of MIDI out is terrible.  (Maybe they are saving MIDI out for V2 when they can charge everyone for an upgrade?)

I'll play with this a bit more tonight, but I am leaning towards purchasing it.  (And yeah, I feel I should get a discounted price as I own at least 15 Ujam products, but it appears they only want to give a discount to Vogue owners.)

Please note what I added above about the way the pitch wheel and mod wheel work.  That's the special sauce of these instruments.  That's how you can make each performance unique and musical.

Everybody wants direct MIDI out on all the ujam instruments.  They have heard this over and over.  I fear there may be something built into their design that make it difficult to add.  But it could be that you are right and they are saving it for V2.  It's never turned up on any previous ujam V2 that I'm aware of. 

For me I have no problem just playing into my DAW and having the performance play back.  I can then revise my chords and edit the cc.  There is also the drag in MIDI option which I find acceptable with the Beatmakers but not acceptable for this.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1

I like this one too.  I didn't trial Vogue, but I am having fun with Vibe. $70.51 at Best Service MUST OWN UJAM VOGUE price with $2.37 Bestcoin.

The Loyalty price is only good if you own the other piano?  Looks that way on the UJAM site. BUMMER! I own a ton of their stuff.  $88.36 at Best Service for schmucks.

Edited by Brian Lawler
Schmuck adjustment
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

I like this one too.  I didn't trial Vogue, but I am having fun with Vibe. $70.51 at Best Service LOYALTY price with $2.37 Bestcoin.

The Loyalty price is only good if you own the other piano?  Looks that way on the UJAM site. BUMMER! I own a ton of their stuff.  $88.36 at Best Service for schmucks.

No it doesn't appear to be linked with Vogue. I don't have Vogue and according to the UJAM website I qualify for the loyalty price. But maybe it was a glitch? I will check again tonight when I'm home.

• Like 1

Yep, the loyalty deal only seems to apply with a Vogue license. I logged in and it said that I don't own the required licenses, even though I have plenty of other paid UJAM virtual instruments. Best price I see is the intro price of $99.83. And Vogue is still $149, or Piano bundle is $199.66.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, abacab said:

Yep, the loyalty deal only seems to apply with a Vogue license. I logged in and it said that I don't own the required licenses, even though I have plenty of other paid UJAM virtual instruments. Best price I see is the intro price of $99.83. And Vogue is still $149, or Piano bundle is $199.66.

Indeed, this is the case for me also. Sorry if I inadvertently misled someone.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

@Brian Lawlermade my heart jump at the $70.51, but that's the "Loyalty", meaning you own VOGUE.
I almost pulled the trigger, YIKES, always read the fine print Tom (DA as in DeeringAmps is short for DumbAss!!)

Yeah, sorry about that.  I always assumed that "Loyalty" referred to being a frequent customer.  I wonder if this has been their policy all along?  I may have been considered  "Loyal" on other offers for owning parts of other collections (including freebies).  Or maybe it's a policy change. 🙃  Moral of the story apparently is to check your price after logging in to UJAM directly.  The "Loyalty" box may be greyed out!

Edited by Brian Lawler
More info
  • Like 1

Two year old Ryzen 3700X is showing both Vibe and Vogue using about the same here: 5% GUI closed, 10% GUI open; single instance in Studio One 6.  I disabled the FX to try and keep an equal footing, since the patches were different.  Measurement from Windows Task Manager 128 sample buffer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

Two year old Ryzen 3700X is showing both Vibe and Vogue using about the same here: 5% GUI closed, 10% GUI open; single instance in Studio One 6.  I disabled the FX to try and keep an equal footing, since the patches were different.  Measurement from Windows Task Manager 128 sample buffer.

Thanks. I will poke around more to try to figure out what’s up. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

sorry about that. 

Not a problem, I just saw the $70 and thought at that price I'm all in!
I had the $70 on one tab and the $88 on another; thinking wtf?
Then I read the fine print.

3 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

pretty clear on the site

It is, no doubt. Some of the vendors have it listed as a "cross grade", which in general means if you have a competing product.
But alas that is not the case...

t

3 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I had a bit of trouble installing Vibe

Yeah, it did not give an option for assigning a path for the VIBE samples (blob?).
I ended up making a junction. I was NOT using their app for installation.
If I pull the trigger, the app sets up the default sample path?
Irritating that any VSTi does not ask where you want the samples...

• Like 1