Memory Supplement

57Gregy

In my retirement (now semi-) I am not yet able to afford a new computer. I Inherited one which we thought would be newer and faster/better than the off-the-shelf HP I was using that recently died.
Turns out, it is about the same age as the dead box. I thought about adding some more memory, but it only has 2 slots(!), each with a 2 GB stick. Even worse, they're DDR2. 
I see DDR2 is still available in various memory amounts, but wonder if it is even worth trying to drag this machine into the 21st century?
It is a NZXT box 9555 GEV, W 10 Pro (22H2) installed this year, Pentium dual-core E5800 3.2/3.2 GHz.
I think slamming a couple 4GB sticks in it won't hurt, but what do I know? I'm a salesman.
Thanks for any advice.

On 12/17/2022 at 9:37 AM, msmcleod said:

You should first check the motherboard actually supports more than 4GB.  A lot of older boards were specifically designed for 32bit Windows, and won't support more than 4GB.

Yes. How does one do that? 🤔 I see that there is a lot more to selecting RAM than I thought there would be. And I'm a sophomore when it comes to the computer's guts (I've added memory sticks to another computer and a FireWire card and a video card).

I understand being on a budget, but you didn't mention any. Based on the prices I see, you'd probably have to spend about $30-$40 to get not really enough RAM on a not really fast enough computer with a spinning drive. Add another $40 for an SSD and you're up to $70 to end up with a system with specs from 12 years ago.

Whatever you're trying to cook up with such old parts, how about a very capable, built like a tank system for just over $200 instead? Refurbished Dell Optiplex, i7-6700 (which is, BTW, the processor in my main DAW is an i7-6700), 

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-OptiPlex-7040-Bit-Multi-Language-Supports/dp/B07GNDFSB8/

Free delivery with Amazon Prime, plug it in and go. You'd be able to throw anything at that system. Video rendering, orchestral VST's, anything. It would be a real pleasure to use for slightly more peanuts than you'd spend on the pain in the a55 system.

• Like 1

Thanks, Erik, or Superrabbit. Or Alien Drummer. 😄
Discovered how to find the MB info using the command bar, which led me to the MB manufacturer's web site, which showed me that the MB model is printed on the MB which I could see and read through the cooling holes. 😳 

• Like 1