Korg Poly-800 Repair

Vernon Barnes

I recovered my 1983 vintage Korg Poly-800 from storage to find it had lost its memory. I suspect its just the backup battery for the RAM and I found this video on replacing it.

It looks neigh on impossible without a battery mount, which only cost a couple of pounds plus P&P so i have ordered on and I am going to give it a go. Wish me luck!

It was a bit of a pig to program be honest but it sounded pretty good for what it was. The architecture is limiting as all voiced share the same filter, this demands a different playing technique.

I would be nice to have it working again but its hardly a classic (hence no VSTi versions)

Hi Glyn

I have one of these and use it quite a bit - had it for years - I had the filter Mod done on it when I purchased it which gives it more guts!!

Mine also went wrong and as with all my Synths that go wrong, I had it repaired by Andy at Synth Prof - honestly Andy can repair just about anything - even a few Russian Synths I've given him with NO documentation in English!

Nigel

Thanks, I will try the battery replacement first and if it still does not work I will decide what to do. I am not sure it worth spending a lot of money on when I have so many soft synth options that are a lot more versatile. But it would be nice to have a hardware synth working again.

I bought mine second hand back in the 90's