Release Velocity

Dnote

Looks like Cakewalk does not handle Note Off Release Velocity well.

My hunch is that Cakewalk ignores the release velocity when recording and sets it to the max value.

My Korg SV-1 doesn't like because it will play the note release sample at the loudest volume, which is a very harsh sound!

Is there any way around this problem?

I vaguely recall a long conversation about this, way back when. It had to do with compatibility with the largest number of synths, some of which specifically expect a note-on message with a velocity of zero. I know my Kurzweil works like that, and ignores note-off messages altogether. 

Dnote, does your piano let you adjust the volume of release samples? That might be the simplest workaround. I have several sampled instruments that offer that feature. However, I don't have any (software or hardware) that provide multiple velocity layers for release samples. 

I ran into this a while ago when I started using Pianoteq and wanted to experiment with release velocity. I was mystified about why it wasn't working with Pianoteq as VSTi until I tried the standalone instrument. Given that more and more instruments are implementing advanced control of articulations, I think the Bakers need to look into implementing at least basic echoing and recording - if not display and editing - of release velocity for keyboards/controllers that send it.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/1/2023 at 10:01 PM, Bristol_Jonesey said:

That's really helpful 🤷‍♂️

Thats the only option there is until Bandlab fixes this issue. But I don't think they will because it only affects a very small group of users.

On 12/12/2022 at 4:58 PM, bitflipper said:

Dnote, does your piano let you adjust the volume of release samples? That might be the simplest workaround. I have several sampled instruments that offer that feature. However, I don't have any (software or hardware) that provide multiple velocity layers for release samples. 

It does, but I bought this piano because it emulates the EP so well. For me the release samples are important enough to switch DAW's.