SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable SSD V2 - $100

Barrie

Note: none of these SanDisks are the Pro version which can be twice as fast (up to 2000MB/sec. data transfer speed)

SanDisk - Extreme Pro Portable 2TB External USB-C NVMe SSD
cheapest I saw that was at  BestBuy for $239.99
Was $354.99

1TB version $163.99

Edited by TheSteven

9 minutes ago, Fleer said:

I’ve been getting these Samsung T7 SSDs lately at $89 for 1TB and $149 for 2TB:  

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Portable-Photographers-MU-PE1T0R-AM/dp/B09VLJB2DC

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Portable-SSD-2TB-MU-PC2T0H/dp/B0874Y5XFG

I particularly like the Shield versions, as they’re sturdy and fast. 

SanDisks are extremely durable, water proof, etc. for same money I'd go in that direction.

1 hour ago, TheSteven said:

Note: none of these SanDisks are the Pro version which can be twice as fast (up to 2000MB/sec. data transfer speed)

Well, yes, but . . .

For those looking at this product for the 2000MB/s (or 16Gbps) to use with their Mac thunderbolts, be warned that many people see a maximum speed that is less than 1000MB/s read and write when they connect it to their Mac computers using Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port. Technically, the Thunderbolt port can handle 40Gb/s, so that is not the bottleneck.

This portable SSD doesn't use Thunderbolt technology natively. Instead, it uses a USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 interface that is capable of up to 20Gbps of transfer speed using dual-lane USB 3.2 Gen 2X2, essentially using both lanes of USB-C connectors to deliver speeds up to 20Gbps (or 2.5GB/s). However, there are not a lot of motherboards PC (desktop/laptop) that have a USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 interface. As of this date, no Mac products support the new USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 standard. So it will run only at the USB-C speed depending on which generation it is.

For example, the Thunderbolt (USB-C) port on the iMac Pro is compatible with USB 3.1 or 3.2 Gen 2, which is one lane at 10Gbps (or ~1000MBps). So if you have an Apple/Mac machine, this will not work at its fullest speed.

Most people will only have a USB-A (USB 3.0 maximum speed 5 Gbits/s), so if you plug it into one of those ports you will see a speed of only around 450 MB/s.

So, unless you have the latest USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 on your computer, you will see never see speeds exceeding 1000 MB/s.

1 hour ago, TheSteven said:

SanDisks are extremely durable, water proof, etc. for same money I'd go in that direction.

Too late :)

Started with Samsung T1 and now have 10 or more of those sweet little critters. Got three T7 Shield ones and they’re the best. Fast and sturdy indeed.