75% off Overloud GEM Comp LA LA2A

cclarry

17 minutes ago, pseudopop said:

I feel I've been too confrontational lately, questioning everyone and everything,

This is how we learn!! It was kept civil, so please proceed!! I am enjoying it. Mostly because I get to hear others opinions (and this includes yours or an opposing view), and how they express that opinion, this helps me come to a better understanding of the why.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Grem said:

This is how we learn!! It was kept civil, so please proceed!! I am enjoying it. Mostly because I get to hear others opinions (and this includes yours or an opposing view), and how they express that opinion, this helps me come to a better understanding of the why.

I appreciate the sentiment, but does anyone else want me to actually continue? Because all the cans I have are labeled "99% pure worms".

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, pseudopop said:

I appreciate the sentiment, but does anyone else want me to actually continue? Because all the cans I have are labeled "99% pure worms".

Here's how I see it. In the previous century pioneers of electrical devices did their best job to put out something new that was then adopted by pioneers in audio engineering. The most talented of them ended up with loving a particular gear for it's particular sound and character. That way some devices got famous across studios, as did some engineer's names. The final sound had been achieved obviously by ear, I only vaguely described the technical way of getting there. To sum up, those devices offered what the talented engineer's ear was after, or the engineers have found ways to crack these devices to achieve desirable sound as happened with 1176 all buttons pressed at once.

It was the sound that made these devices well known for, a sound that's sweet for human ear. Since most those engineers shared their techniques with us we can follow them up today. Or you can try achieving same effects your own way, good ear and talent is all it takes. Of modern plugins sonible's smart:comp is a good one. Can it replace all the vintage gear? I don't know, but it's a good one to start with if you're looking for contemporary rather than vintage comps.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, chris.r said:

It was the sound that made these devices well known for, a sound that's sweet for human ear.

And another part of that equation was that these recordings that were recorded with the "X" model/version of that hardware sold  millions of copies. So it wasn't just "someone's" technique people are after. The ones that finance these recordings said, "Make it sound like this (or that)". So the ones doing the recording (ie: their job) used the equipment needed to get the job done, that sound.

We have all become accustomed to the sound of that hardware gear. So we all have a tendency to gravitate to the stuff that we like the sound of. At least that's the case for me.

Can we get the same results using only digital signal processors? I am sure we could come close. So close I wouldn't be able to pick it out from crowd of others created with vintage digital emulations. Others might. But I don't think I could.

But I was just working with the GEM EQ 550. That thing does do a great job. I don't care what it's emulating. I like what I hear.

loving a particular gear for it's particular sound and character

those devices offered what the talented engineer's ear was after

Exactly.

you can try achieving same effects your own way, good ear and talent is all it takes.

Yep. My point above.

I want to think that I have moved beyond wanting to emulate the sound of something. I am going for what sounds good to me.

BTW, I still use Waves C1. Great comp, easy to use, clean and clear. 

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grem said:

I want to think that I have moved beyond wanting to emulate the sound of something. I am going for what sounds good to me.

Ditto. To me keeping using and replicating known gear and techniques is like trying to stay within safe path, you know you will achieve the right sound and won't get lost sideways. It's not pioneering. All is up to the engineer, the final sound is what matters (in the listener's opinion).

• Like 1