CalDigit TS4

Bill Phillips

Anyone using the CalDigit TS4 or other hub to allow them to use their laptop as a desktop DAW replacement? I read an article by a ProTools Expert describing how he's now able to use his Macbook Pro in clam shell mode and a CalDigit TS3 as his in studio DAW workstation and wondered how practical that would be. According to another post, it might even allow me to plug in my MOTU 828 mk2 firewire using an Apple TB2 to FW converter. All too good to be true?

What are the limitations of a powerful laptop when compared to a desktop as a DAW? I also took a quick look at the Dell XPS13 which cost $2,400 tricked out and noticed that it has (2) TB4 ports and supports NVMe, OpenGL 3.0 & 4.6 and has 20 threads which seems impressive. On the down side. It has 20 PCIe lanes whereas my existing i7 6850k has 40. Don't know how important that is.

51 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Any hub I've tried (that involved Thunderbolt), a Thunderbolt audio interface wouldn't function properly when connected to the Hub.

FWIW, A laptop will never be a complete desktop replacement... as there are too many performance limitations, cooling limitation, expansion limitations, etc.

Thanks Jim. What about USB audio interfaces with a Thunderbolt hub?

I bought a laptop, not as a desktop DAW replacement, but to use for on-site recording,   I settled on a Dell gaming laptop primarily as gaming models have more cooling,  Something to consider when choosing a laptop for recording use.

An XPS13 or any XPS model would not be my choice for your application.

• Thanks 1