Transferring Plugins

Madness

Hey crew, just wondering if I can copy and paste my downloads to an external hard drive and transfer to a new computer, so I don't have to re- download 1200 plugins. I know I would have to reauthorize, but that would be way easier than downloading them all over again. Also command center, I am not sure where the installers are, login is probably lost to time. I have copied CCC to the external drive, just hoping it will work. This is not my first, I have been with Cakewalk since Home Studio 2004. Thanks to all in advance!

Rick

10 hours ago, Madness said:

Hey crew, just wondering if I can copy and paste my downloads to an external hard drive and transfer to a new computer, so I don't have to re- download 1200 plugins. I know I would have to reauthorize, but that would be way easier than downloading them all over again. Also command center, I am not sure where the installers are, login is probably lost to time. I have copied CCC to the external drive, just hoping it will work. This is not my first, I have been with Cakewalk since Home Studio 2004. Thanks to all in advance!

Rick

Plugins that don't have an installer (.dll, ,vst3 file extensions) can probably be  copied from and pasted into the proper folders on different computers. The download files (.zip, .exe, .msi, etc. extensions) can probably be copied from and pasted into install folders on different computers, but the installers must be run on the receiving computer but that's not what I would do.

I like to keep plugins up to date. So, even for the dlls and vst3s, I'd visit the source website and download the plugin or installer file from there to get the latest version on the new computer.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

Install the old HD in the new machine?

You can do that, but it can't be the system drive as is. Starting with the operating system, Windows, then drivers, then applications (Cakewallk, plugins, etc), all software must be installed on the system drive of the computer. A system drive from one computer can not be installed, as is, and become the system drive of another computer.

2 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

A system drive from one computer can not be installed, as is, and become the system drive of another computer.

It can.  It might not work but worth a try.  Windows 10 is very good at handling this (firsthand experience).

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Madness said:

Thanks,  for all the answerers, this system is 10 year old, An 17  3,40 Ghz .It's An old I7 .2700  i am not sure if it will transfer to the new  Window11, Just hope a few  of you can help Thank crew.

Rick

That's a 2nd gen i7 - you need at least a 7th gen i7 to run Windows 11, and also a hardware TPM module on your motherboard.

I've got a 3rd gen i7 (3770 @ 3.4Ghz), which has been running Windows 10 for years now.  Windows 10's end of life isn't until October 2025, so there's a good few years left.

You *can* install Win11 on old hardware (I have it running on an old i7-990X machine, which is very much unsupported) with some hackery but I definitely wouldn't recommend it on a work machine - you never know when Microsoft will issue a patch which will utterly break it for unsupported hardware. I'd definitely be inclined to stick with Win10.

The new machine has an I7-12700 up to 4.9Ghz, 32GB memory, 512GB boot, 1TB storage with lots of room for expansion and windows 11.  I am keeping my old machine just in case.  And you are right Tim I have had some patches that really did not agree with my system. I think Bill is on the right track, I just should just go back to the source and download everything fresh. Thanks for the reply's!

Rick

23 hours ago, Madness said:

I think Bill is on the right track, I just should just go back to the source and download everything fresh. 

That is what I am planning to do when my new PC arrives where I can - it will also make me prune my VST count which is at around 1,000 - though that includes 32 bit and VST3 duplicates

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Craig, I try to keep all my plugins up to date when they are available. I keep all the download files with installers from the source, I have a 2TB external hard drive as a backup for Cake projects, Sonar Platinum, and a few other important files. Thank you for schooling me on saving the authorization codes. I hope this will save me a huge amount of time. I will make a file this time for the authorization codes. I will copy my download file  to the ex drive and see how it works and report back, I have to spend time just setting up the new computer, etc, and the holidays are knocking on the door!

Thanks,

Rick

• Great Idea 1