Melodyne 5 Studio

timboalogo

I've been working with the Editor version (Santa brought it last year) and people in my family think I've learned how to sing. At 64.

Melodyne has an offer for Studio at $149 US which is $200 in Canada. Does anybody here use this product and if so how does it work with CbB?

Is it worth it to pull the trigger?

Ho ho ho,

Timbo

Edited by timboalogo
Forgot
  • Like 2

Here is the Celemony's brief comparing all the editions: https://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/melodyne-5-editions

For what you say, I don't think you will benefit a lot by upgrading, as the main difference between editor and studio is multitracking abilities, which means that you can access and compare multiple tracks of content in the same view.

I did the upgrade a while ago because I was working in a project involving 4-5 different singers in each song, so it was really easy to align and edit all of them from a single view. Also, I use the plugin a lot to edit guitar parts - the polyphonic editing is just an amazing tool!

I suggest you double check your workflow needs, as the audio editing capabilities are almost the same. 

• Like 3

The foremost use for studio for me is multi track editing. Works great for tuning background vocals. The blobs can stack on top of each other on unison parts for a really good visual view of tuning and timing. I don't think I've ever really used for any of it's effects outside of tuning.

The multitrack editing is the must-have killer feature, and $150 is a bargain if need multitrack editing and don't have it.

As they say, absolutely critical if you trying to tune/align multiple singers. And multiple guitar parts (I align my chugging metal rhythm guitars) as well.

Briefly played with the Sound Editor. Mildly amusing, but found no practical use for it. Your mileage may vary.

19 hours ago, Andres Medina said:

Here is the Celemony's brief comparing all the editions: https://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/melodyne-5-editions

For what you say, I don't think you will benefit a lot by upgrading, as the main difference between editor and studio is multitracking abilities, which means that you can access and compare multiple tracks of content in the same view.

I did the upgrade a while ago because I was working in a project involving 4-5 different singers in each song, so it was really easy to align and edit all of them from a single view. Also, I use the plugin a lot to edit guitar parts - the polyphonic editing is just an amazing tool!

I suggest you double check your workflow needs, as the audio editing capabilities are almost the same. 

If you use Melodyne 5 primarily as a standalone application, then Studio version has many advantages over the Edit version.

But if you use Melodyne within a host DAW such as CbB as a plugin, there are little to no advantages running multi track view in Cakewalk's GUI because of limited screen space, it makes it very hard to see the blobs and differentiate between tracks. And that makes it all too easy to accidently create an editing train wreck.

Another disadvantage of upgrading to Studio version is higher future version update pricing.

However Melodyne 5 Edit  WILL create multiple tracks for editing at once by select/highlighting all tracks you want to edit at once before creating "Region FX" ,

Then you can select/highlight to toggle between them in Cakewalk, it just won't show them all in the same window at once, which is a slightly different way of going about it, but as I mentioned, it is also a GOOD thing.

To be clear Melodyne 5 Editor does detect and allow polyphonic editing.

And one of my favorite most used useful tools is the SUPER FAST and EASY way of converting "Audio tracks to MIDI tracks" in CbB, by simply clicking on and dragging an audio track into an empty MIDI track, Melodyne 5 will open automatically and start the conversation process for you. 👍 For best results, just make sure all time-based FX plugins are off.

Melodyne 5 Editor polyphony and chord detection running as a plugin in CbB

melodyne 5 edit poly and chord editing.jpg

Edited by Steev

And if you love to collect Plugins and take advantage of Holiday sales, NOBODY offers better deals than WAVES super discounted, buy one get one free at the time of this writing, you can purchase both Waves Harmony – Real-Time Vocal Harmony Playground | Waves and Waves Tune for the ridiculously low price of $29 (us).

Please note  Waves Tune is a "Rewire" device, it doesn't as a real-time VST plugin, I've used it for years, it is not only an EXCELLANT runner up for Melodyne,  it can do things Melodyne can't, and of course vise versa.

I have Studio and do like that I can see all of the clip blobs at once and don't have to click on the clip in track view to switch. That was worth the $149 upgrade for me. Once I got used to the Orange vs Gray selection of the tracks it became very easy. I haven't played with the other features of studio yet.

One thing I was trying that I couldn't figure out was how to take a vocal melody and change every blob to the same note so it's monotone. I think I'm stuck dragging each block to the note. Not a big deal though.

Midi dragging and polyphonic was available in Editor.

I just upgraded to Editor from  I guess it was Assistant for $99  ( I guess that will be $148 Can. ) Just to get the chord editing. Havn't done anything with chords yet just a vocal track which everything seemed the same fars as that went. But looking forward to fixing gutar tracks now. And possibly turning Guitar chords into Midi?? not sure if that works but would be pretty cool. 

Far as I caan tell the next level, Studio's biggest feature is editing multiple tracks at the same time. I can see that would be great for Harmonies. But  that will be nexts years upgrade for me. 

If there is ANY benefits in see/use/compare/correct multiple tracks, that is a good reason for Studio. Also some operations are simpler in Standalone, so not in a DAW.

But update price is in fact higher, independent which functionality was "updated". That is why I have not updated 4 to 5 till now (it is finally reasonable priced, for the first time since introduction...).  

Melodyne Fine Print:

1. If you're upgrading to Melodyne 5 and still use 32 bit Sonar or other DAWs:
Melodyne 5 has no 32 bit version.  Requires 64 bit system and 64 bit DAW.

2. If you're upgrading to Windows 11 and keeping Melodyne 4:
Melodyne 4 64 bit does not work on Windows 11.  Melodyne 4 32 bit does. Melodyne 4 is no longer updated.

3. Only one Melodyne version can exist on a system.

Edited by sjoens

I started with a version of Melodyne called Cre8, which was sort of "Studio Lite" in that it was limited to 8 tracks at a time. Because I used it only for tuning and tightening multipart vocal harmonies, 8 tracks was more than enough. But when Celemony discontinued Cre8 they made me a can't-refuse offer to upgrade to Studio, although to date I've still never edited more than 4-6 tracks at a time.

I haven't used 90% of Studio's features, so given that I've paid Celemony perhaps a thousand dollars over the years for multiple upgrades it's hard to say it was a cost-effective investment. Still, I wouldn't want to give it up. If you're into tight and/or complex vocal harmonies it's just too good a cheat. 

As for Cakewalk compatibility, there have been some issues in the past with Melodyne getting out of sync with the DAW (pre-ARA) but those problems appear to have all been resolved. Today it runs seamlessly with CW.

So yes, Timbo, as long as Santa's picking up the bill go for it!

On 12/10/2022 at 11:44 PM, timboalogo said:

I've been working with the Editor version (Santa brought it last year) and people in my family think I've learned how to sing. At 64.

Melodyne has an offer for Studio at $149 US which is $200 in Canada. Does anybody here use this product and if so how does it work with CbB?

Is it worth it to pull the trigger?

Ho ho ho,

Timbo

When I get older losing my hair
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four?

Have a Merry Melodyne Studio Christmas!

Edited by John Maar

On 12/15/2022 at 2:05 AM, sjoens said:

Melodyne Fine Print:

1. If you're upgrading to Melodyne 5 and still use 32 bit Sonar or other DAWs:
Melodyne 5 has no 32 bit version.  Requires 64 bit system and 64 bit DAW.

2. If you're upgrading to Windows 11 and keeping Melodyne 4:
Melodyne 4 64 bit does not work on Windows 11.  Melodyne 4 32 bit does. Melodyne 4 is no longer updated.

3. Only one Melodyne version can exist on a system.

There is no supported 32x version of CbB anymore either. 😆

On 12/11/2022 at 7:04 PM, Bass Guitar said:

But looking forward to fixing gutar tracks now. And possibly turning Guitar chords into Midi?? not sure if that works but would be pretty cool. 

Just click and drag the audio guitar track into a blank MIDI track and Melodyne will open and convert it to MIDI.

For the best most accurate results use a clean DRY audio track with NO FX.

I don't know about "fixing" guitar tracks, I find it easier and less time consuming to just do another take, or 3, as practice does make perfect.

But for creating parts and or MIDI tracks for other instruments that you couldn't perform otherwise, it's a wonderful thing. 😍

For instance, my primary instrument is guitar. Over the decades of MIDI sequencing (recording performances in MIDI), I have become a semi proficient keyboardist, but I'm nowhere near as proficient on keyboards as I am on guitar.

Edited by Steev
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Steev said:

Just click and drag the audio guitar track into a blank MIDI track and Melodyne will open and convert it to MIDI.

For the best most accurate results use a clean DRY audio track with NO FX.

I don't know about "fixing" guitar tracks, I find it easier and less time consuming to just do another take, or 3, as practice does make perfect.

But for creating parts and or MIDI tracks for other instruments that you couldn't perform otherwise, it's a wonderful thing. 😍

For instance, my primary instrument is guitar. Over the decades of MIDI sequencing (recording performances in MIDI), I have become a semi proficient keyboardist, but I'm nowhere near as proficient on keyboards as I am on guitar.

The less "turd polishing" you have to do, the better! 🤢

Also, I did the Studio upgrade in version 4, NEVER regretted it.

Edited by hockeyjx
  • Great Idea 1