Sweet Child in Time

bitflipper

My favorite DP tune. Saw DP do this live in 1970, in Frankfurt, when they were promoting Deep Purple in Rock. We'd gotten pulled over by the Politzei for a broken taillight, and in a panic I ate 2.5 grams of Turkish plate. The night before we'd been to see a brand-new supergroup called Emerson Lake and Palmer, where I also got my first look at a Moog modular synth.

It was a most memorable weekend.

• Like 3

I got acquainted to DP with Perfect Strangers when I was 12, which I really liked, but never really had a chance to listen to older material until later, besides Smoke on the Water, maybe. I knew Highway Star because Metal Church covered it, althouhg I had no idea it was a DP song.

Then one Saturday night I happened to catch a retrospective on their career, and they showed that BBC performance of Child In Time. Me and my friends were completely blown away. I purchased Made in Japan the next business day.

Edited by Rain

1 hour ago, Rain said:

I got acquainted to DP with Perfect Stranger when I was 12, which I really liked, but never really had a chance to listen to older material until later, besides Smoke on the Water, maybe. I knew Highway Star because Metal Church covered it, althouhg I had no idea it was a DP song.

Then one Saturday night I happened to catch a retrospective on their career, and they showed that BBC performance of Child In Time. Me and my friends were completely blown away. I purchased Made in Japan the next business day.

If you were younger, you would have thought Perfect Strangers was a Dream Theater song! 😁

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Here's Ian c. 2005, all grown up but still screaming, albeit an octave lower. Jon still frustrates the hell outa me to this day; even in my most caffeinated frenzy I cannot match his speed.

Ha!  Ian looks like he literally just got up out of his lawn chair and said "Here, hold my beer!" 😆

That spastic stuff Jon did was just ridiculous!  If any of the rest of us tried that, people would just say "Stop trying to break the gear! "