My Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen arrived today

David Lincoln Brooks

After years of using my computer's built-in Realtek soundcard as my audio (associated with my Cakewalk projects,  but also for listening to online radio and video),   I received a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Generation audio interface.    Mercifully,  it took mere minutes to set up,  and all aspects of it worked immediately.   Windows 10 x64 immediately recognized it and set it up as my audio playback default.

Interestingly,  I notice that the music now coming through my studio monitors sounds clean and clear,  as expected...   but also it's MUCH less bass-y sounding.    I'm guessing (tell me if I'm wrong) it's because the Realtek was aimed at general computer users,     with an especial emphasis on gamers...      The bass response artificially goosed up,    designed to appease gamers who want to hear the explosions and helicopters really thump as they FSU. 😁

I'm guessing that the Scarlett is giving me a truer sound response across the frequencies?      And if I want bass,    I'll have to dial it in myself,  in Cakewalk and elsewhere (and that's as it should be).

Thoughts?

I've started out by recording some VSTi instruments at 192Khz / 24-bit.     The Scarlett handles recording and playback at this rate,  with nary a hesitation or hiccup,    and latency now feels nonexistent as I play my keyboard through it.   Cool.

Dave

2i2.jpg

Edited by David Lincoln Brooks
  • Like 1

Air does work on inputs not outputs. It would only apply if you did a new recording using that function. I have a Scarlett as well. Watch you don't overload the input, it crashes my machine. (Forgetting to turn volume down when plugging in guitar)

Depending on how you used your Realtek - you may have had some EQ applied.

• Thanks 1