UVI PX Guitar Syn Intro Price $49

ZincT

3 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Interesting .. BUT I do still have Roland midi pickup for the guitar + the blue processor unit that i need to dig out wherever it is. Its old enough .. uses midi connections, no USB

Hey Aidan, I used to have a GR-55 and Godin xTSA with synth access (like a built-in GK3 pickup) but sold it once I could do the same in software using any guitar (courtesy of Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2).  

I'm just checking to see if PX Guitar Syn has any of the classic GR-300 tones a la Pat Metheny.

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1

I listened to the Venus Theory intro on it. I think I’ll repurpose my dubious $9.99 for PSP Hertz Rider to help subsidize this while it’s at the intro price.  Sounds like it has some useable and unique character possibilities to use in songs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Installed (I am on the Sonic Pass subscription) 

To be clear this is a straightforward UVI workstation library rather than a guitar processor. That said, from an initial run through some pre-sets and tweaking a few controls it sounds reasonably unique and quite good too. I think I will need to reference the manual (is there one?) to get my head around a couple of things in GUI but that's a job for another day. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

To be clear this is a straightforward UVI workstation library rather than a guitar processor. That said, from an initial run through some pre-sets and tweaking a few controls it sounds reasonably unique and quite good too. I think I will need to reference the manual (is there one?) to get my head around a couple of things in GUI but that's a job for another day. 

In a nutshell its another synth basically? with guitar samples? Dont get me wrong .. most likely will still buy it :D

When i saw it first I thought it might take input from actual guitar plugged into your Audio U/I .. so like the original you could play it with a guitar rather than a keyboard. And yes I know @ZincT mentions the Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2 above as a way of using guitar as input/playing device. 

So in my head was a sort of mix tween Guitar Rig / Synth

I realise of course the guitar back then came with the unit and was very modified to work with the unit.

gr500.jpg.4d04dc4c0678d64cf675f49083538c21.jpg

Edited by aidan o driscoll

30 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Thanks for the information, Vernon.

I realized that it was just a UVI library, but I'm interested to know if it has any of the classic GR-300 sounds e.g. the lead sound that Pat Metheny uses in the video above.  It would be pretty nice to have access to that sound again and be able to play it either from my MIDI keyboard or via MIDI Guitar 2.  Arturia actually have a preset called Pat in their Arp 2600 library which is a nod to that patch but doesn't sound quite right.

23 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@ZincT  That Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2 sounds great. I had looked at it a while back but frankly forgot it :D ... I bet they had a BF sale too ( EDIT no they dont, they never discount it seems ) ...

https://www.jamorigin.com

Yes Aidan, I demo'd the trial version and found it to be pretty much as good as the hardware I had. So I sold both the guitar and gr55 and used the money to buy the full version of MG2 (with plenty left over). 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 9:53 PM, ZincT said:

Yes Aidan, I demo'd the trial version and found it to be pretty much as good as the hardware I had. So I sold both the guitar and gr55 and used the money to buy the full version of MG2 (with plenty left over). 

@ZincT Just trying the demo too. Any tips to set this up so its at best performance? I found a few stray notes playing ..

I have the latency down to 128 but not sure how other instruments in DAW may like that ... 

39 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@ZincT Just trying the demo too. Any tips to set this up so its at best performance? I found a few stray notes playing ..

I have the latency down to 128 but not sure how other instruments in DAW may like that ... 

You will get stray notes Aidan; I used to with my GR-55/Godin setup. It's the nature of the beast with guitar/MIDI where the notes are detected/translated by "sampling" the notes being played.

To minimize this:

• I have found that tweaking the Gain, Tone and Curve knobs can yield good results (start with the gain).  
  • Try using a different pickup on the guitar and make sure the input is as clean as possible - you are trying to give the note detection its best chance.
  • Try using an electro-acoustic guitar with piezo pickup - can give better detection compared to an electric one due to the cleaner signal making it easier for individual pitches to be detected.
  • Remember that the way these things work, it can take at least half a cycle to work out the frequency or pitch. This means that the lower pitches will take longer to work out that the higher ones (also used to happen with the GR-55 as it's a method limitation rather than a hardware vs software thing). If you know this then you can do things like playing a bass part on higher strings or higher up the neck and then just transpose it down in MG2. The detection will happen faster due to the higher pitch and will also result in faster tracking.
Edited by ZincT