Native Instruments Hypha FREE!

cclarry

BTW, according to this page,  "KONTAKT 7 requires graphics hardware support for Direct 3D 11.1 (Feature Level 11_0) or higher.  If your graphic adapter does not support this requirement, KONTAKT will open with a black window and will not function."

While DXDiag shows that both my displays support Direct3D DDI 11.1, my highest feature level is 10_1, not 11_0.

You might be able to save some time by running DXDiag first (that is, before trying to just download and install this "freebie").

It would have been nice if NI had checked first instead of failing to download/install Hypha several times and giving me the "not enough disk space" error for several of those failures. 

I get it that they are giving away Hypha as a marketing gimmick to sell Kontakt 7, but maybe they could have had less drain on their servers if so many of us hadn't wasted so much time trying to download and install it. Clearly, I should never have gotten the "not enough disk space" error message.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, marled said:

Most Kontakt libraries even don't need K6! So why should I install K7 Player or upgrade to K7 full? IMO wasted time at the moment!

I mostly agree but the reality is upgrade soon or later anyway because once you stumble on K7 library you really want then it's game over. And if later then you may have created even more projects involving, on that time, already a legacy kontakt version. So there you go, for me it's better upgrade now and have the problem off head... well at least until K8 🤣

Edited by chris.r

34 minutes ago, Magic Russ said:

Either way you still get the problem of having to update all your track templates every time they come out with a new version of Kontakt.

possibly not, depending on your DAW - the latest Cubase/Nuendo version (plus latest VST3 SDK!) means that you can replace missing plugins with equivalent ones.  I think Kontakt is the first one to take advantage of it and reports of it working well.

40 minutes ago, chris.r said:

I mostly agree but the reality is upgrade soon or later anyway because once you stumble on K7 library you really want then it's game over. And if later then you may have created even more projects involving, on that time, legacy kontakt version. So there you go, upgrade now and have the problem off head... well at least until K8 🤣

There is some truth in your words!

But on the other hand nearly all the libraries that I own or are interested in are still K5. There are not many K6 libraries on the market AFAIK. It seems NI is too zealous with Kontakt updates. The makers and most consumers are satisfied with version 5. This reminds me somehow of Apple/Mac. 😄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simon said:

possibly not, depending on your DAW - the latest Cubase/Nuendo version (plus latest VST3 SDK!) means that you can replace missing plugins with equivalent ones.  I think Kontakt is the first one to take advantage of it and reports of it working well.

But such automatic replacement is always risky! It was the same with VST2 to VST3 replacement! If there is any interface, parameter, default or behavior change,  it may fail somewhere and you may even not notice it in the first place!

OK, my first impression of K7 Player and the new browser interface. I like the browser, as it's like Komplete Kontrol should have been. An expandable UI that you can resize as needed to show the presets listed in more than a few rows in the tiny KK interface.

And the tagging and search system system is very worthy... filter your libraries by Sound Type or Character to quickly find presets that you may be looking for. Or use the search bar to narrow things down a bit. For example a combination of Sound Type "Piano/Keys", combined with a search for "Guitar" takes me straight to NI Noire preset "Guitarish".

But yeah, once the sound is loaded you still have the same old instrument UI that you always had. Baby steps... :)

And the new instrument Hypha is worth downloading!

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

grabbed this as i like hybrid instruments, but am a little queezy about having to upgrade to K7 player. my DAW works well.. really don't need to mess it up.

K7 Player is not an upgrade. It gets installed side by side with your existing Kontakt. Nothing messed up here as far as I can tell. K7 Player is working with all installed Player compatible libraries, and my K6 full still seems fine here as well... :)

And just FYI, I am still running v1.14.1 of Native Access...

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, simon said:

Reaper is supposed to offer same functionality as well.  Unfortunately my preferred hosts are Cakewalk and Bitwig and neither support that.

It sounds pretty cool and it's free, so I'm in!

I had clicked the button at NI's site several hours ago and then several minutes ago and still no sign of Hypha in Native Access. I did catch NI's message that it can take up to 24 hours to show up in Native Access,  Just an FYI for anyone else waiting for the freebie to show up. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

1 hour ago, marled said:

But such automatic replacement is always risky! It was the same with VST2 to VST3 replacement! If there is any interface, parameter, default or behavior change,  it may fail somewhere and you may even not notice it in the first place!

it warns you when the original plugin is not available and tells you what it is changing it to - not sure what else you expect it to do ?

4 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

It sounds pretty cool and it's free, so I'm in!

I had clicked the button at NI's site several hours ago and then several minutes ago and still no sign of Hypha in Native Access. I did catch NI's message that it can take up to 24 hours to show up in Native Access,  Just an FYI for anyone else waiting for the freebie to show up. 

8 hours so far for me.

I'm not surprised it will take up to 24 hours to show up.  It took me a few tries before it would download the K7 player.

16 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Don't forget the $25 voucher!!!  😃

It seems that NEOVERB is on sale for $25 .... and the voucher actually works on it so Neoverb is also a freebie (edit: seems it's free only for the USD variant for other regions the original pricing is just higher):

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/soundwide-partners/izotope/neoverb/ 

with HOLIDAYGIFT2022_USD

seems they diabled the voucher to get neoverb for free

Edited by Dorondon
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, simon said:

it warns you when the original plugin is not available and tells you what it is changing it to - not sure what else you expect it to do ?

E.g. can you be sure preset loading, outputs, volume, ... works as it did? The former was one issue with VST3 that happened with some plugins!

I agree with you that the change of the instrument in templates may not be as critical as in old projects!

18 minutes ago, marled said:

E.g. can you be sure preset loading, outputs, volume, ... works as it did? The former was one issue with VST3 that happened with some plugins!

I agree with you that the change of the instrument in templates may not be as critical as in old projects!

Of course, you can't be assured it will work 100%, you can't be assured that ANYTHING will ever work 100% - you can't even be assured that data will be loaded the same even on an 'updated' plugin -  but as I say, what else do you expect the DAW to do ?

When an older plugin is not present the DAW is told by the new plugin that it's compatible with older version of the plugin - it tells you that - then it attempts to load it.  I think that's a great new feature in the latest VST3 SDK - I'm struggling to find any downside.

Are you saying it's better that it doesn't even bother trying and just drops the plugin altogether ?

FWIW I don't think I've ever had the issue with VST2 information loading incorrectly with VST3 versions (apart from Korg which was a bug that they fixed)

3 minutes ago, simon said:

you can't even be assured that data will be loaded the same even on an 'updated' plugin

Absolutely true! 👍 With a new major version the risk is even higher that's what I wanted to say.

4 minutes ago, simon said:

When an older plugin is not present the DAW is told by the new plugin that it's compatible with older version of the plugin - it tells you that - then it attempts to load it.  I think that's a great new feature in the latest VST3 SDK - I'm struggling to find any downside.

Are you saying it's better that it doesn't even bother trying and just drops the plugin altogether ?

I prefer to do it manually if required! But in most cases I avoid to do such changes in old projects. I've lost settings even without changing the plugin versions (and of course with the VST3 change, too 😆).

7 minutes ago, simon said:

FWIW I don't think I've ever had the issue with VST2 information loading incorrectly with VST3 versions

You are a lucky one! 😉