unusual Tascam interface problem

mark skinner

I recently had to replace my failing Roland interface. I picked up a Tascam US 2x2 to get me by for now. Perfectly adequate for what I do , but I've never been quite sure of the sound. When I'm done tracking and satisfied with the everything , I shut everything down for the night. The next morning I'll boot up and everything sounds muddy and scattered. Confusing when everything sounded great the night before..  I accidently knocked my stand over and my condenser mic hit my desk Hard. Knowing I smashed the grill , I ran my fingernail over it to check it out and heard the scratching thru my monitors. Phantom power was Off.  Turns out that when I first boot up the pc and my USB interface powers up , there is voltage sent to the mic but not the full 48v. Turning the phantom power on then off again drops it to 0.  My mic has been picking up the monitors and messing with the mix in the mornings.  I normally just turn the phantom power off when going from headphones to monitors with no problems.  This has been something I've been fighting for awhile and made me question Everything.  I'm glad I knocked my mic over (while it was close to my monitors). I guess troubleshooting isn't always so straight forward and I guess you get what you pay for ..       mark

Edited by mark skinner