Even Crap Movies Can Have Nice Music

bitflipper

Speaking of Hallmark movies I watched a Hallmark Christmas movie the other night starring Bruce Campbell. If you don't know who he his,  he's a very famous comedy horror/ gore movie actor. Evil Dead 1 & 2. Army Of Darkness (Evil Dead 3). Bubba Hotep. He had a crime series on TV and an Evil Dead series too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kennywtelejazz said:

Wow she certainly  has a long list of film score accomplishments ....

And has only been a full-time composer for about a decade. Now she has a staff of composers working for her. Before that she was a sample library developer at Cinesamples and interned for Hans Zimmer. Based on brief views of her upscale home and neighborhood in LA, she seems to be doing all right for herself. 

No, I am not a stalker. I've just watched all her videos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

She just posted this background video today.

Now, you may wonder "who cares about the (probably silly) plot line of The Claus Family 3?" Well, the composer does, of course. Each scene has a particular feel that the music has to support, and some characters have their own motif.

This video also explains why you didn't see the choir in the first post - vocals were indeed recorded separately. In different studios in different countries (Macedonia and The Netherlands). It's common to use eastern European orchestras nowadays rather than their ultra-expensive counterparts in LA or London. 

• Like 3

Neither here nor there, but my grandfather was a drummer in a silent movie theater. He did the sound fx in real time as the film played. They also had a piano player. Film scoring at its most rudimentary and seat-of-the-pants. I'd love to do something like that with modern synths, jamming along with a film. 

I'd guess that film scoring actually has its roots in live music performed along with stage plays, going back to ancient Greece. The first time I experienced that was at an avant-garde interpretation of Othello with a live band, in London in 1969. It was frickin' awesome. Since then, I've seen a number of shows in Las Vegas with live music or a mix of live and prerecorded tracks, and just love that stuff. Union rules in Vegas require that a certain percentage of the music be live. One of our forum members, Rain, would know something about that (his wife was a performer with Circe d'Soleil) and I'd love to hear his thoughts on it.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 10:36 AM, bitflipper said:

Yes, it's not unusual to record choir and orchestra separately. Check out the composer's YouTube channel. It's a great educational resource for anyone wanting to dabble in orchestration or TV/film scoring. My favorite vids are the behind-the-scenes stuff and industry insights. She's done a bunch of AMAs, too:

I just love it when people tell me to "ask me anything," if you know what I mean.  I am waiting for Bapu to start the thread titled,

Even Nice Movies can have Crap Music

1 hour ago, Jesse Screed said:

I just love it when people tell me to "ask me anything," if you know what I mean.  I am waiting for Bapu to start the thread titled,

Even Nice Movies can have Crap Music

And here I was only imagining what Kenny would be asking her! 😆