cut and paste audio creates clicks

ed swift

I've just migrated a project from sonar. I haven't used cakewalk in anger yet so this is fairly new to me. I've just noticed when I cut a portion of audio track and paste it into another track it produces a click at the start of the pasted selection. Expanding/magnifiying the offending wave does not show a spike and selecting the offending click area and setting the gain to zero does not remove the click.

This procedure did not produce clicks in sonar.....is this something we have to put up with in bandlab or is there some way to prevent it.

That sounds like a cut at a non-zero crossing. When the clip is cut at a point where the waveform isn't exactly silence, it produces a click. SONAR (and any DAW or audio editor) does the same thing.

Make sure in Preferences > Snap to grid > Snap to Nearest Audio Zero Crossing is checked:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Dialogs2.077.html

I'd also recommend crossfading clips together and doing slight fades at the start and at the end of each section too, as an added protection against any rogue clicks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ed swift said:

I've just migrated a project from sonar. I haven't used cakewalk in anger yet so this is fairly new to me. I've just noticed when I cut a portion of audio track and paste it into another track it produces a click at the start of the pasted selection. Expanding/magnifiying the offending wave does not show a spike and selecting the offending click area and setting the gain to zero does not remove the click.

This procedure did not produce clicks in sonar.....is this something we have to put up with in bandlab or is there some way to prevent it.

How that never happened to you in Sonar is a mystery to me.  Cutting and pasting audio has always caused this if you're not cutting at a zero crossing as @Lord Timsuggested.  His solution is one.

Here's another solution that I prefer.  I do  ton of cutting and pasting audio while I'm noodling with ideas in the very beginning of a song, so I hear this "clicking" fairly often.  I set up a custom button in the tool bar (I called it Fade All) which triggers the Fade Selected Clips function.  I have it set up to linear fade 1ms on the front and 1ms on the back of each clip.  I can just lasso all the clips and click "Fade All".  Literally, I can lasso every audio clip in the project and click this button.  Takes a split second, and every clip on the clips pane is faded front and back in a way that you'll never hear it.  But it definitely fixes the cuts that are made at a non-zero point.

If you set up the Fade Selected Clips function to "Only Show if pressing SHIFT", it just does it with a single button click.  No need to click ok.

• Thanks 1

The simplest, quickest and easiest solution to your existing clicky-splices is a slip edit. Wherever you clear a click, hover the mouse over the upper half of the leading edge of the clip until you see the triangle cursor. Then drag from the left just a little bit - as little as 1ms - just enough to hide the click. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

The simplest, quickest and easiest solution to your existing clicky-splices is a slip edit. Wherever you clear a click, hover the mouse over the upper half of the leading edge of the clip until you see the triangle cursor. Then drag from the left just a little bit - as little as 1ms - just enough to hide the click. 

That's what I did for many years.  I found it tiresome because I do a lot of it.  Setting up the Fade All command does exactly that - but automated.

• Like 1