Not a Deal Loopcloud 7 (warning)

Brian Lawler

Loopcloud has updated to version 7 BUT apparently if you are a free user, the desktop app no longer works at all.  See below.  I let my sub lapse in October because I didn't use it enough.  The app is pretty great if you are heavily into loops and samples, and don't mind paying a subscription.  If I recall correctly, version 5 was completely free and version 6 kept the good features behind a paywall. Now V 7 is subscription only.  They say you can still access your owned content from a web page.

Following is a snip from the Loopcloud update notes.  Update with caution if you still use the desktop app.  In the past they deleted older versions from their download offers, so if you don't already have the V6 installer, you might never get it back. Note bold line (emphasis mine, and they conveniently leave this out of their blog announcement) at the end.

Important: Read about the major changes in Loopcloud 7 in our blog article

Version 7

Loopcloud 7 features a major visual overhaul and many performance enhancements.

Users now start on a search landing page, showing them instrument categories they can start their search with, or buttons to see all packs or collections. Users can click on one of the circle buttons to start their search, or use the search bar.

The home page is now Explore. This is where users can go to discover new releases, the current bestsellers, curated label and genre packs, and packs for DRUM and PLAY.

The Explore page now features two new rows - What's Hot, and Label Focus.

The search results experience, including Tag Suggestions for instruments, to help the user filter down their search to a more specific tag, content types to prompt the user to choose either Loops or One Shots, and genres. The genres shown in the tag suggestions are based on what the user commonly searches for, to help personalise their search.

Search results are now separated by tabs, so users can decide whether they want to see results from the Store, content from their Library, whole packs, or collections containing content they've searched for. If users want to see all the tags available to them, they can click on the Tags Sidebar, which will show all tags in a tree view.

We've introduced the mini editor, which will be the default for all users until they decide they need the additional functionality of the full editor. This allow users to reclaim valuable screen real estate, while still being able to preview their single file or full mix with the core functionality of Loopcloud.

The full editor has had a visual overhaul. We've moved some options to the menus in the top-left of the app, nested tools that don't all need to be seen at once, and removed some visual elements that aren't necessary.

The Loopcloud desktop app is no longer available to use for non-subscribers. Purchased sounds and packs will still be available to download from sounds.loopcloud.com/library/, however all in-app features will be disabled for free users.

Removed the legacy 'blue' theme, and set the 'Neutral Dark' theme as the default.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

Loopcloud has updated to version 7 BUT apparently if you are a free user, the desktop app no longer works at all.  See below.  I let my sub lapse in October because I didn't use it enough.  The app is pretty great if you are heavily into loops and samples, and don't mind paying a subscription.  If I recall correctly, version 5 was completely free and version 6 kept the good features behind a paywall. Now V 7 is subscription only.  They say you can still access your owned content from a web page.

Following is a snip from the Loopcloud update notes.  Update with caution if you still use the desktop app.  In the past they deleted older versions from their download offers, so if you don't already have the V6 installer, you might never get it back. Note bold line (emphasis mine, and they conveniently leave this out of their blog announcement) at the end.

Important: Read about the major changes in Loopcloud 7 in our blog article

Version 7

Loopcloud 7 features a major visual overhaul and many performance enhancements.

Users now start on a search landing page, showing them instrument categories they can start their search with, or buttons to see all packs or collections. Users can click on one of the circle buttons to start their search, or use the search bar.

The home page is now Explore. This is where users can go to discover new releases, the current bestsellers, curated label and genre packs, and packs for DRUM and PLAY.

The Explore page now features two new rows - What's Hot, and Label Focus.

The search results experience, including Tag Suggestions for instruments, to help the user filter down their search to a more specific tag, content types to prompt the user to choose either Loops or One Shots, and genres. The genres shown in the tag suggestions are based on what the user commonly searches for, to help personalise their search.

Search results are now separated by tabs, so users can decide whether they want to see results from the Store, content from their Library, whole packs, or collections containing content they've searched for. If users want to see all the tags available to them, they can click on the Tags Sidebar, which will show all tags in a tree view.

We've introduced the mini editor, which will be the default for all users until they decide they need the additional functionality of the full editor. This allow users to reclaim valuable screen real estate, while still being able to preview their single file or full mix with the core functionality of Loopcloud.

The full editor has had a visual overhaul. We've moved some options to the menus in the top-left of the app, nested tools that don't all need to be seen at once, and removed some visual elements that aren't necessary.

The Loopcloud desktop app is no longer available to use for non-subscribers. Purchased sounds and packs will still be available to download from sounds.loopcloud.com/library/, however all in-app features will be disabled for free users.

Removed the legacy 'blue' theme, and set the 'Neutral Dark' theme as the default.

Thanks for sharing and that's a crap move on their part. I could be wrong, but I could've sworn I read somewhere in the past they said the app would always be free..

I didn't trust that though and so I never used their instruments in Loopcloud, or made anything through it. I just use it as a glorified loop browser and the bulk of my stuff is only vocals and one shots.

Either way, if that's their stance, I won't renew again and probably look elsewhere for samples and they have lost a customer.

I will drop them a message on their support page and provide some feedback on it... hopefully they get enough people doing the same and they see sense before too many people given up on them.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I left Loopcloud when they stopped allowing user content to be included in libraries (I think version 6).  It was a nice product until then. 

I actually sent them a message about how much I thought it was a bad decision.  They actually had the gall to respond to tell me it was a "requested feature" to remove the ability to have content outside of Loopcloud in the app.  I told them they were full of crap, and that I would never buy from Loopcloud becuase of it.  (Get off my lawn!!!) 

I bought Sononym instead. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, husker said:

I left Loopcloud when they stopped allowing user content to be included in libraries (I think version 6).  It was a nice product until then. 

I actually sent them a message about how much I thought it was a bad decision.  They actually had the gall to respond to tell me it was a "requested feature" to remove the ability to have content outside of Loopcloud in the app.  I told them they were full of crap, and that I would never buy from Loopcloud becuase of it.  (Get off my lawn!!!) 

I bought Sononym instead. 

That is hilarious!!! Nobody is ever going to fall for an excuse like that from them... I bought Atlas as I didn't want to be dependent on Loopcloud in case they did something like this. I've got enough samples really now. Vocals are still handy, but I have been wanting to work with a vocalist instead anyway, as it allows a lot more freedom in the lyrics and story, etc. Sononym does look good as well.

The free ADSR sounds one is another free option for people as an alternative.

I did find the earlier versions a little prone to crashing, but I was throwing a lot of samples at it, so maybe it's normally OK  🤣

• Like 1

Not sure how long these will stay available for, but with it bit of digging, I was able to locate where they still have the V6 installers 😎

Might be best to download a copy while you still can if you don't have a one already. They might be Dev versions, but still could be a better option than nothing once you're locked out by V7!

https://www.loopmasters.com/cloud/autoupdate/win/dev/versions/

These should be the regular installers here:

https://loopmasters.wetransfer.com/downloads/2fac0c15767ef7a96fccc7408cd8f8a320221004112702/505a20

Edited by MusicMan
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

I was gutted when they stopped support for your own library so didn't update. Now that I am moving to a new PC I won't be able to use it. All those hours favouriting my preferred samples for nothing 😞 

I still have 6.3.5 installed and all my non-loopcloud samples are still there.  You might try the links @MusicMan provided to grab the installer while you can.  Since we don't really know the source, I would recommend scanning it with Virus Total.  I actually find myself using the ADSR freebie anyway.  Too bad you can't port your tags over.

Edited by Brian Lawler
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

I still have 6.3.5 installed and all my non-loopcloud samples are still there.  You might try the links @MusicMan provided to grab the installer while you can.  Since we don't really know the source, I would recommend scanning it with Virus Total.  I actually find myself using the ADSR freebie anyway.  Too bad you can't port your tags over.

Virustotal never hurts, but as for source, they're all official links by Loopmasters/Loopcloud 🙂

• Thanks 1

I'm confused.  I have the latest version of Loopcloud and it allows my content to be indexed by their search engine.  (And I have about 600,000 files that it indexes.)

I get a 50% off deal to buy the annual studio plan which is $60 for the year ($5 per month).  That plan also gives me 3500 points to buy clips, so with most clips costing 2 points, that gives me more than 1700 clips that I can purchase with the points.  It also gives me 25 free clips every day.

I think it's a great deal, especially considering how good their search engine is.

6 minutes ago, Michael A.D. said:

I'm confused.  I have the latest version of Loopcloud and it allows my content to be indexed by their search engine.  (And I have about 600,000 files that it indexes.)

I get a 50% off deal to buy the annual studio plan which is $60 for the year ($5 per month).  That plan also gives me 3500 points to buy clips, so with most clips costing 2 points, that gives me more than 1700 clips that I can purchase with the points.  It also gives me 25 free clips every day.

I think it's a great deal, especially considering how good their search engine is.

But a) you have to buy subscriptions every year to keep using it - previously it was free and you could buy samples if you wanted to and not bother if you didn't and b) all the work on favouriting samples is lost unless you pay. If I had known that was going to happen I would never have started! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Michael A.D. said:

Thanks for the post Michael.  The key point is that their app will no longer index user content for non-subscribers. Whereas version 6.3.5 still works.  I got the same $60/yr offer when my sub ran out in October, but I decided it was not worth it for me, as I looked back on how little I used it in the past year.

• Like 2