Survey - Harmonica VIs

fret_man

I've been on a search for good bluesy harmonica VIs to see if I can work one to get a realistic sound. It'll be hard, but I figure I'll need an outstanding tool to start with. So, I've been collecting some and wanted to provide some guidance that might help others. Unless otherwise stated, these are all Kontakt instruments. I report the articulation options right out of the box, ignoring the potential CC-learn capabilities of Kontakt (several of these could make use of setting the MW to adjust Kontakt volume, for example). These are ALL chromatic harmonicas, so I'll have to work them to achieve the diatonic blues notes.

Chris Hein Chromatic Harmonica: Internet wisdom says this is "The One" to get for the most realism and flexibility, and I'd have to agree. It's expensive but Best Service has a lite version to try (I got it as a freebie when I purchased my Melodyne5  Studio upgrade 2 years ago) and allows you to upgrade to the full version (on my to-buy list if it ever goes on sale) . This has a 4 octave range . It uses keyswitched articulations (the lite version has a subset of the most used articulations). The MW controls expression and the pitch bend sounds good. The full version (which I don't have yet) appears to have lots and lots of options which would give you the best chance of getting a convincing sound. Pretty amazing really. This might best when used with a MIDI breath controller, which I don't have yet. Note: the Lite version runs on Best Service's Engine platform, which I find very difficult to read. The upgrade and full versions run on Kontakt.

Cinematic Double Bass Harmonica: It may not be fair to include this because it's a rather unique harmonica, incomparable to the rest. Think The Boxer. There are a few different nki instruments to choose from. This has a range of C1  to G3 with 2 keyswitches for long/short blows. Pitch bend changes only 1/2 step while the MW creates a funky fluttering sound that models, um, I don't know what. Interesting but not for my dirty blues harmonica. But this a keeper for it's unique sound.

Bolder Sounds along with the accompanying Riff Collection: This is FREE (!) and sounds very good, which is surprising for a free instrument. This has a range of A2-C5 (+3 octaves), but the 49 riffs/loops are only in the key of A, which happens to be OK for me. The pitch bend changes +/- 1 whole step and sounds very natural to me. This product utilizes the MW the best of any of these harmonicas, in my opinion, by smoothly adjusting the vibrato depth. While playing the riffs/loops, the MW changes the tempo. I usually don't like working within the confines of loops, but I like this harmonica. And the price can't be beat.

Big Fish Audio Celtic Instruments: Very basic harmonica.  Range is G3-A4, slightly over 1 octave. No volume adjustments. Pitch bend is only +/-1/2 step but sounds good. MW does nothing. Why bother with this one when a better free one is available above?

8DIO Misfit: I want to like this because it has an interesting feature that randomizes blowing accuracy (accidently partially hitting adjacent notes), which makes it sound human. It has a 4 octave range with many keyswitches to modify blowing attack, long/short notes, and key bends/trills. MW changes volume and pitch bend changes vibrato (not sync'd, none, sync'd). In the end, though, the bends are too long for my use and I can't fin a way to get the bends I want. So - pass.

TD Samples Toy Harmonica: This is a very basic instrument with a 2+ octave range (E3 to G5) and 7 blowing noises. But there are no volume or pitch adjustments. No bends at all. You don't get what you don't pay for.

I'm sure there are many others in various collections, but I'm guessing those are mostly minimal implementations with severe limitations. But I hope someone can show me I'm wrong.