Good usb keyboard controller for Cakewalk?

Ernie Tamminga

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I don't find info...

I'm looking for a good usb keyboard controller to work with Cakewalk by Bandlab (latest release). I'm currently using a little Novation Launchkey Mini, which is limited but serves the purpose of playing notes into Cakewalk. I want to "upgrade" to a 61-key controller. There are a bunch on the market, and lots of them say they integrate with any DAW -- but when they list the DAWs they work with, they don't mention Cakewalk.

I'm not sure I even need a controller to "integrate" with Cakewalk. I'm basically fine with using my computer keyboard & mouse to do the actual DAW-controlling stuff, and it may well be that all I need is any controller that can send MIDI via USB (I think they all do).

That said, if anyone here has experience/recommendations about a controller that works particularly well with Cakewalk, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

A bit more info: I use Kontakt7 in Cakewalk, so any info pertinent to that, in this context, would also be appreciated.

Edited by Ernie Tamminga

On 12/4/2022 at 3:22 AM, Ernie Tamminga said:

A bit more info: I use Kontakt7 in Cakewalk, so any info pertinent to that, in this context, would also be appreciated.

If NI S61 is too expensive, NI A61 can be a good option for you. With NI keyboards you get pre-made auto-mapping for NI (and some other) synths, when used inside Komplete Kontrol. There is no official DAW integration into Cakewalk, but with my integration (A61 and M32 have the same DAW/synth controls) you will have good (I even claim better than in officially supported DAWs) functionality (targeting the time you play, so quickly want change the track/synth, jog, open synth interface, start recording, turn metronome, etc. especially since A61 is not "near notebook" device and so using mouse/computer keyboard in parallel is not convenient).

NI keyboards (all of them) have fine-grained encoders without raster. They are great for  continuous parameters (volume, frequency, etc.) and "effortless" switching pages/modes,  but far from the best option for live controlling a single synth, where finite knobs are more intuitive. Also note there are no faders and no pads.

Better visit a store where you can test several keyboard. All of them have completely different feel when you press keys, unlike "digital pianos" there is no "reference" they need to imitate. Even when disconnected, you can sort out variants you definitively don't like (too "soft", too "hard", too "clicky", etc.). Note that S61 has Fatar keys with after-touch,  A61 has "cheap" keys without after-touch. So the difference is way more then just build-in displays.

When you finally choose and buy your keyboard how about coming back here to let us know what you bought and how you came to your decision. 
Your thread will become a reference for those coming after you asking the same questions you did.  For my part I have a Native Instruments S88 note keyboard so not really in your search ball park.
All the best in your search.