Freeware Instruments Thread

I am not recommending this VST, I just stumbled across it as a free Melodyne alternative, but for me, the things it does not duplicate of Melodyne are the reasons I even looked for a free alternative. But still, it looks like it may be of interest. AS I said, I haven't tried it, but would be interested to find out if it works well in Cakewalk.

The YouTube clip that I saw was: Didn't like the clip title, as it sounds very much like click-bait.

And the website is:

https://samplab.com/plugin

It appears to be in early development. I was surprised how it could break apart the individual notes in a chord, into a playable instrument; didnt know that Melodyne could even do that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JohnK said:

I am not recommending this VST, I just stumbled across it as a free Melodyne alternative, but for me, the things it does not duplicate of Melodyne are the reasons I even looked for a free alternative. But still, it looks like it may be of interest. AS I said, I haven't tried it, but would be interested to find out if it works well in Cakewalk.

And the website is:

https://samplab.com/plugin

It appears to be in early development. I was surprised how it could break apart the individual notes in a chord, into a playable instrument; didnt know that Melodyne could even do that.

It's an ok plugin. There's a post about it in the DEAL forum.

What's a bit problematic is that you send a file to their webserver and getting it back treated with their AI.

If they after some time say you have to pay that would render it useless if you don't.

As opposed to no-cloud plugins where you always can stay and use the last working version if it goes payware.

5 hours ago, Kurre said:

If they after some time say you have to pay that would render it useless if you don't.

What would concern me more is that the company would go casters-up and take the servers off-line.

Since it looks like what happens is that you send it data and then it sends it back in a form that you then import into your project (where it becomes part of the project), it seems that all that would happen if the servers went offline is that you wouldn't be able to get your data converted any more.

My guess is that their business model is to allow certain features for free and then charge a subscription for access to premium ones, or they'll limit the number of processing sessions per month or whatever.

It became much less interesting once I figured out that your computer sends them the data, then their servers process it and send it back.

And yes, the URGENT!! in the video title gives it the fragrance of Astroturf.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

My guess is that their business model is to allow certain features for free and then charge a subscription for access to premium ones, or they'll limit the number of processing sessions per month or whatever.

And data mining....

They probably make way more money off your personal information than the subscription.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

What would concern me more is that the company would go casters-up and take the servers off-line.

Since it looks like what happens is that you send it data and then it sends it back in a form that you then import into your project (where it becomes part of the project), it seems that all that would happen if the servers went offline is that you wouldn't be able to get your data converted any more.

It became much less interesting once I figured out that your computer sends them the data, then their servers process it and send it back.

And yes, the URGENT!! in the video title gives it the fragrance of Astroturf.

5 hours ago, bdickens said:

And data mining....

They probably make way more money off your personal information than the subscription.

I seriously doubt it's that sinister.  With it being AI based,  it's far more likely that they need more data to continually improve their learning algorithm.  There's only so much data you can cook up yourself to train these models.

14 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I seriously doubt it's that sinister.  With it being AI based,  it's far more likely that they need more data to continually improve their learning algorithm.  There's only so much data you can cook up yourself to train these models.

I doubt that it's sinister, but did you watch the vid? It's not like Cakewalk or most apps that just phone home to give the devs crash reports or anonymous usage info.

With this one, it's kind of a client-server thing, where he plug-in sends whatever musical phrase you select to their server, which does the heavy lifting and sends it back. Heaven knows what kind of processing muscle it takes on the back end.

Maybe it's my time in IT, but I like my programs to be more self-contained than that. I am sometimes out with my laptop with no network connection, and there are still plenty of people who turn off their wi-fi or even hard Ethernet to avoid interrupt issues (I'm not one of them).

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I doubt that it's sinister, but did you watch the vid? It's not like Cakewalk or most apps that just phone home to give the devs crash reports or anonymous usage info.

With this one, it's kind of a client-server thing, where he plug-in sends whatever musical phrase you select to their server, which does the heavy lifting and sends it back. Heaven knows what kind of processing muscle it takes on the back end.

Maybe it's my time in IT, but I like my programs to be more self-contained than that. I am sometimes out with my laptop with no network connection, and there are still plenty of people who turn off their wi-fi or even hard Ethernet to avoid interrupt issues (I'm not one of them).

Just to be super clear, I am not really interested beyond just maybe having a play with it (I downloaded it), because it just seems like an impossible thing to do ie break apart a guitar chord to individual notes, allowing changing a strummed major chord to minor. Thats beyond what I thought would be possible, and would like to see how well it would work on a distorted guitar; thats gotta fail. (EDIT: As I spelled corrected this, I just thought that i may wish to use it to get someone else's distorted guitar RIFF with a great sound, and apply it to my RIFF...hmmm... the sound of Hendrix ... but without the talent...¬¬)

One thing you mentioned about sending data to their server brings up the question of is just how much data would be available to the VST to collect and then send to their server. Is it just the wave file you placed into the VST OR does a VST have access to your whole system? A lot of VST's have sample data, that means they can access data on your drive, so it would appear the VST wrapper itself would provided minimum protection. Just a theoretical pondering. I have yet to hear of a malicious virus embedded in a VST, but it sounds totally feasible. I have always scanned any VST I downloaded from the net, and always go for the ZIP version instead of the installer versions.

Edited by JohnK

It's been a great couple of months for A|A|S Swatches, their freeware VSTi that contains sounds from each of their soundpacks. Daniel Stawczyk, my favorite of their sound designers, released a soundpack a month or so ago, and has now released another. A|A|S update Swatches every time a new soundpack ships to include sounds from it. Currently there are 554 sounds in Swatches, and if you're a fan of what A|A|S' synths can do, as I am, you'll find many useful sounds among the 554. It's obviously supposed to act as a demonstrator so that you can hear how the sounds in the soundpacks actually sound in your projects, as well as how the sound engines for their various synths sound (how they manage to get the playback engines for 4 different softsynths into this player is a mystery to me) and what you get is 7 or 8 from each of their soundpack sets.

So, the should be 8 (or 16 depending on whether you grabbed the last one) new free sounds are in Swatches. If you don't have it, get it, especially if you do any kind of EDM, especially ambient. IMO, there's not much that can touch Chromophone and Ultra Analog for those kinds of sounds. I'll get the full versions of them someday, maybe if they put it in a Humble Bundle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, brandon said:

Did I miss something? It converts audio into midi. That's no big deal surely? And if all you are left with is a midi performance why is that a good thing? If I want to change the key of an audio track in CbB I do just that...change the key.

Changing a single note in a three note chord is not as simple as you think or describe. Cakewalk does not do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

KOMPLETE START : https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-start/

Includes:

-Free Kontakt Player to play certain Kontakt Player libraries

-3 Play Series Instruments: Hybrid Keys, Analog Dreams, Ethereal Earth

-Kinetic Treats (Sounds and Textures? I don't use)

- 7 REAKTOR synths

- Factory Selection : 6 World Instruments, 13 Band (Pop/Rock/Jazz) Instruments, Synths, 13 Vintage instruments, 5 Urban instruments

• 4 months later...

Just re-discovered SuperTron. It has cool arpeggios.

SuperTron by Solcito Música is a Virtual Analog synth with retro architecture for vintage and modern sounds. It's available as VSTi and as Stand Alone Application.
Suitable for arpeggios, bass, pads, atmospheres, solos, leads, noisy and Sci-Fi sounds, electronic drums, etc.

It's resizable and Free.  https://www.kvraudio.com/product/supertron-by-solcito-musica

Edited by Kurre
Addition.
  • Like 3