Freeware Instruments Thread

In an amazing move, Ocean Swift's entire line of synths is now freeware.

If you do ambient textures and sound design, there are a couple there that will surely become go-to's. There are also a couple of more standard type synths and one that does nothing but drone. Really, nothing not to like. They are pad machines.

They remind me a bit of the late great HG Fortune, if you like that stuff, you should check these out. Download them, save the installers, because who knows how long they'll keep their servers up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, clovis said:

BandLab should create a plugin for a DAW to make use of its mix editor app!

Oh I like that idea. There are BandLab versions for Android, IOS and browser, why not a BandLab VST? I don't know if it would even need to have the full BandLab Mix Editor UI, It could do something similar to what the Cakewalk BandLab integration does.

On 4/26/2021 at 11:07 PM, clovis said:

They did it, they are the winners of the real time remote collaboration within any DAW, both audio and MIDI, w/chat capability.  BandLab should create a plugin for a DAW to make use of its mix editor app!

actually i'd call "near real time" since there is latency etc which is solved by keeping copies of the work-in-progress in each client connected to the session rather than a true live streaming (where the latency across tracks would be readily apparent). so kudos for making this work!  once i saw this, i thought the same thing - BandLab mix editor as a VST... just add your favorite video/chat product and you'd be good to go (assuming the BL does a trick similar with the near-real time caching across clients)

• Like 1

@Glenn Stanton Indeed, by the very definition and utility of "real time", I am incorrect in advertising the VST as such.  However, I tend to generalize the term when the notion is derived from a lack of real time remote collaboration tools, so to any caveman such as I that experiences the closest to real time as one has or can....well by golly it sure would pass the real time test that I had in mind!  (most erroneously of course) 😵

I’ve been looking for something that would allow me to stream high quality stereo to a friend. The latency isn’t an issue . Something I can insert in the master output. I don’t want to have to always do a stereo mix and then send it to them via email, One Drive, etc. I hit play and they hear it some milliseconds later. 

2 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

I’ve been looking for something that would allow me to stream high quality stereo to a friend. The latency isn’t an issue . Something I can insert in the master output. I don’t want to have to always do a stereo mix and then send it to them via email, One Drive, etc. I hit play and they hear it some milliseconds later. 

@Terry Kelley That would be a job for OBS, except that it isn't a plug in and runs simultaneously with your DAW.   It has all of the optimization settings required to stream HQ stereo to a person on the other end of a stream. 

Open Broadcaster Software | OBS (obsproject.com)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

Reaper's ReaStream plugin will stream over the network (although it's meant for a LAN rather than a WAN)... but it might work. It's just a standard VST2, so it should work in Cakewalk: https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

If it doesn't support WAN streaming directly, you'll definitely be able to use Reastream to stream to OBS, then get OBS to do the streaming over the internet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, michheld said:

Has anybody here tried SINE-Player / "Layers" on http://getsine.com ?

Sounds like an interesting type of instrument by just playing chords and selecting the chord types with lower notes on your keyboard.

The sound qualtity is amazing.

Yes I have it installed - limited applicability because of the chord system but, as you say, the sound quality is excellent. They have several other free instruments too including a new church organ that I am about to download!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2021 at 9:38 AM, abacab said:

You can add Voltage Modular, Nucleus edition, from Cherry Audio to this list. It's free now.

https://cherryaudio.com/free

Includes:

• 20+ Modules
  • Voltage Modular Software
  • Nucleus Presets (176 presets)

Their Surrealistic MG-1 Plus is also interesting. I had no idea that Radio Shack at one time sold a rebranded Moog! They are going for almost twice the $500 they originally sold for on eBay and Reverb. When you can find one

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 1:02 PM, gnips said:

Bump, and Full Bucket has released a new synth, WhispAir. Really nice with wavetable support.

https://www.fullbucket.de/music/whispair.html

The Full Bucket stuff is great. They have a bunch of Korg emulations, which I am kinda partial to; I have an X3 and a Minilogue myself and my brother had a DW6000 back in the day. He doesn't play any more and is unclear as to whether or not he still has it somewhere. Maybe I should pursue that further....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

Their Surrealistic MG-1 Plus is also interesting. I had no idea that Radio Shack at one time sold a rebranded Moog! They are going for almost twice the $500 they originally sold for on eBay and Reverb. When you can find one

I remember seeing them over here in the UK and was sorely tempted! I settled for my Wasp, several Casio keyboards and a Yamaha monophonic synth which I think may have been quite similar - it was a very long time ago. I then progressed to the Yamaha CX5M music computer which I still have but no idea if it works or not

• 1 month later...

A|A|S Swatches is an amazing free assortment of 546 sounds. It's just been updated to include sounds from All That Jazz, Insomnia, and Transmutation. Insomnia is interesting, Daniel Stawczyk using Lounge Lizard, which is an electric piano emulation, to produce things like brass, organs and synths.

Also, I believe it's the first time I've seen this dialog during an A|A|S installation:

image.png.a5aee3758d47be64efe23e3f987680f9.png

A|A|S used to be the worst perpetrators of plug-in installation clutter, installing both 64 and 32-bit VST2 (in multiple locations) and AAX versions.

I recently figured out how to work with the GS-2 virtual guitar instruments in Swatches. They function similarly to Strum Session as far as responding to MIDI input. More on this later....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1