Not a deal: Just had one of my tracks played on the radio for the first time πŸ™‚

MusicMan

13 hours ago, cclarry said:

Not ONE single Mix Engineer is EVER happy with their mix...even after it's done and released.Β  They always have "second thoughts" LOL!

Larry, spend the 10 bucks, create an audio file, and upload your 80sΒ song on SoundCloud and at least share it with me and you can share a story about it!

My kids were born after my an injury put an end to my musician days, so they only hear stories every so often. I have posters somewhere, but my best story? It's like the dad who was a football star in HS that keeps talking about his glory days. I took the lead singer and keyboardist of the most popular band I played in to see Jimmy Chamberlain play drums in another projectΒ  he was in right before the Pumpkins brokeΒ big. During the break, Jimmy walks up to me in front of my bandmates and says, "I know you, you've been one of my favorite drummers on the Chicago scene for a long time!" andΒ  he also names the band we play in.Β I thought I was being pranked and then he names the first band he saw me play in -- several years earlier --and I only played in that band for a matter of months. So, that's the closest I am came to hearing a song I was on play on the radio! I met a lot of famous drummers back then through other musicians and I knew a lot of Chicago rock drummers and we'd hang out when we'd meet up because we all loved checking out other musicians. But that was the only time I was recognized by a drummer I really enjoyed who was part of a bandΒ  that became incredibly popular. That's my best story. And now I'm a business guy. Sad. ;)

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 6

Big congrats dude. With all the algos and stuff these days, it’s quite an accomplishment.Β 

My band’s self-released 45 from the 80s is more popular today than it ever was when we first made it. I think a copy went for $2k recently. 😲 Collectors are crazy.Β 
Β 

2 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Not a deal: Just had one of my tracks played on the radio tonight for the first time, so buzzing a little πŸ™‚Β 

Β 

• Like 6

You’re just sharing and adding to the conversation. πŸ˜πŸ‘
Β 

4 minutes ago, cclarry said:

FWIW...I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but just wanted to point out what an incredible feeling it
is to be "on the radio" for the first time, so much so in fact that it's still one of the highlights of life 42
years later

Β 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cclarry said:

FWIW...I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but just wanted to point out what an incredible feeling it
is to be "on the radio" for the first time, so much so in fact that it's still one of the highlights of life 42
years later

Larry, we're in the deals forum in a thread that has nothingΒ  to do with deals in a place where we all go on tangents -- me being a major offender. But why is actually not a bad thing? Why is actually a really good thing?

Because it reveals how we connect. We understand. We relate. We care. We're celebrating MusicMan's success and remembering our own fond moments. I'd put money on it that @MusicManΒ enjoys all of it, because he knows that we're happy for him and it resonates (please chime in and share your thoughts!). IΒ love seeing you and others share your stories and it's fun to share my old stories that my kids have already heard (whenever a Pumpkins song is on the radio, so Im sure it inspires them toΒ  want to quickly change the channel before I tell the story again!). All of this camaraderie is what I makes me so fond ofΒ this community. I'm not just here for the deals. It's my outlet to geek out on all things music related.Β 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

Congratulations! And for heaven's sake, post a link to where we can listen to the song.Β I guarantee everyone in this thread is dying to hear it. You can't be shy any more, it's been on the radio! Not a popular genre? We're musicians, we can hear the quality in any kind of music.

And I'll chime in with saying that the times I heard my band on the radio (or being played by the DJ in my favorite bar) were very special ones. And I hope to do it again, as indie rocker turned electronica guy. Soma.FM here we come (I hope).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Not a deal: Just had one of my tracks played on the radio tonight for the first time, so buzzing a little πŸ™‚Β 

Congratulations!

So, what plugins were used in the production of the track? Β You've managed to justify the purchasesΒ of allΒ of them.

13 hours ago, Spice3d said:

Big congrats dude. With all the algos and stuff these days, it’s quite an accomplishment.Β 

My band’s self-released 45 from the 80s is more popular today than it ever was when we first made it. I think a copy went for $2k recently. 😲 Collectors are crazy.Β 
Β 

Thanks Spice! And I do think the algos kill the creativity a little these days, in that they seem to favour people staying in a very narrow lane, which is definitely not what I want to do! I just love music.. all sorts and so I'll probably end up with a mix of genres anyway 😎 I don't have many followers on Spotify yet and this was only my first song, so at this stage it doesn't matter too much! Haha..

Love that about yours going for $2K, that's epic! Well done πŸ˜€

Edited by MusicMan
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, husker said:

Its so nice to hear stories like this.Β  I really struggle to even finish a song.Β  Its been awhile since that actually happened.

This is totally me too! Haha.. that's why I just picked the one I was working on at the time and went with it. Otherwise another year would've passed and I still wouldn't have released one. IΒ seem to learn more in that final push as well and having to complete it, so I'm just trying to do that now.

But a lot of songs just grow out of jamming with a new synth, or testing out a plugin and then I end up making half a track and thinking I better save it for later, so I'm certain I'm not going to completely solve it! 🀣

11 hours ago, cclarry said:

years later

Love that Lars and glad you shared it and how much it still means all these years later.

I didn't take it as a hijack, or mind at all and it was completely related, so it's 100%Β  all good by me πŸ™‚

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Larry, we're in the deals forum in a thread that has nothingΒ  to do with deals in a place where we all go on tangents -- me being a major offender. But why is actually not a bad thing? Why is actually a really good thing?

Because it reveals how we connect. We understand. We relate. We care. We're celebrating MusicMan's success and remembering our own fond moments. I'd put money on it that @MusicManΒ enjoys all of it, because he knows that we're happy for him and it resonates (please chime in and share your thoughts!). IΒ love seeing you and others share your stories and it's fun to share my old stories that my kids have already heard (whenever a Pumpkins song is on the radio, so Im sure it inspires them toΒ  want to quickly change the channel before I tell the story again!). All of this camaraderie is what I makes me so fond ofΒ this community. I'm not just here for the deals. It's my outlet to geek out on all things music related.Β 

You're completely on the money Peter and I'd almost have to check that I was logged in to the right forum if there wasn't at least a tangent, or two!! 🀣

And sometimes thoseΒ random tangents from everyone have so awesome pearls of wisdom, or get us all thinking, so I love them too πŸ™‚

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

You're completely on the money Peter and I'd almost have to check that I was logged in to the right forum if there wasn't at least a tangent, or two!! 🀣

And sometimes thoseΒ random tangents from everyone have so awesome pearls of wisdom, or get us all thinking, so I love them too πŸ™‚

This forum needs to let us add  ❀️  for posts.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Congratulations! And for heaven's sake, post a link to where we can listen to the song.Β I guarantee everyone in this thread is dying to hear it. You can't be shy any more, it's been on the radio! Not a popular genre? We're musicians, we can hear the quality in any kind of music.

And I'll chime in with saying that the times I heard my band on the radio (or being played by the DJ in my favorite bar) were very special ones. And I hope to do it again, as indie rocker turned electronica guy. Soma.FM here we come (I hope).

Thanks Erik! You have touched on an interesting point for me too.. I think part of the reluctance to share on here, is partially because of all the experience and knowledge everyone else has and that there are a lot of accomplished musicians here as well.

I do understand a lot of the techniques and can easily hear what I like when it comes to all of the tools, instruments and everything, but I'm still very much green and just starting out with production, so I just tend to feel it's not good enough to share if I'm being fully open.

But maybe this is one of those growth moments where I just need to push myself out of my comfort zone and rip the bandaid off!

Here's my Linktree if anyone did want to give it a listen on whichever streaming platform they prefer. It has socials too if anyone wanted to follow along as well πŸ™‚

https://linktr.ee/disorderlyconductor

I love your story too Erik and I really hope that happens for you too!

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

18 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Congrats, MMβ€”thanks for sharing the goodness! Β This is really nice to hear. Β A buddy of mine is a DJ here in Detroit and I hear stories about how hard it is to even get that far. Β Enjoy the buzz!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MusicMan said:

Thanks Erik! You have touched on an interesting point for me too.. I think part of the reluctance to share on here, is partially because of all the experience and knowledge everyone else has and that there are a lot of accomplished musicians here as well.

I do understand a lot of the techniques and can easily hear what I like when it comes to all of the tools, instruments and everything, but I'm still very much green and just starting out with production, so I just tend to feel it's not good enough to share if I'm being fully open.

But maybe this is one of those growth moments where I just need to push myself out of my comfort zone and rip the bandaid off!

Here's my Linktree if anyone did want to give it a listen on whichever streaming platform they prefer. It has socials too if anyone wanted to follow along as well πŸ™‚

I love your story too Erik and I really hope that happens for you too!

It's great! Yeah, upbeat funky vibe. Something about the vocal production and the bass tone reminds me of Eddy Grant.

Even people on here who aren't much into EDM, I'm sure they'll appreciate the performances, mixing, and cool production flourishes.

And of course, because we're plug-in hags, wanna know what goodies you used. As for FX, there's a nice sparkle on there, and of course we need to know what VSTi's were not harmed in the making of this tune.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Congratulations and thanks for sharing! It's not exactly my style but I like it. In the 90s I had (briefly) in my playlist artists/bands like Unkle, Senser, Sneaker Pimps,Β  etc. and this gave me some positive flashbacks.

Good job!

And yes, please tell us what gear you used. :)

• Like 1