I broke the golden rule of upgrading...

dubdisciple

I had a good reason for not upgrading my kontakt 6 to 7 despite already having purchased. I forgot every upgrade is seen as a new product and old projects will not recognize . Now I have to guess what instruments and  settings I used for multiple unfinished projects. Arrrrrgh

Try re-installing version 6, but use the VST2 version.

I've not upgraded Kontakt to v.7 yet, so I don't know if they've changed their file naming conventions, but in the past the major version number has been part of the DLL's filename. Consequently, I have Kontakt 3, 4, 5 and 6 all currently installed. That works because their filenames are like "kontakt 4.dll", "kontakt 5.dll". However, when I upgraded to version 6 I installed the VST3 version, and its name is just "kontakt.dll". Upgrading to version 7 would therefore replace the version 6 DLL and cause the problems you're experiencing. Hopefully they only changed the naming convention for the VST3 version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Try re-installing version 6, but use the VST2 version.

I've not upgraded Kontakt to v.7 yet, so I don't know if they've changed their file naming conventions, but in the past the major version number has been part of the DLL's filename. Consequently, I have Kontakt 3, 4, 5 and 6 all currently installed. That works because their filenames are like "kontakt 4.dll", "kontakt 5.dll". However, when I upgraded to version 6 I installed the VST3 version, and its name is just "kontakt.dll". Upgrading to version 7 would therefore replace the version 6 DLL and cause the problems you're experiencing. Hopefully they only changed the naming convention for the VST3 version.

FYI - Kontakt 7 appears as "Kontakt 7.vst3" within my VST3 directory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have both Kontakt Player 6 and 7, and they show up just fine. In the plug-in browser, Kontakt 7 is listed as "Kontakt 7" and 6 is "Kontakt."

So it can be done. My aging laptop also shows a black box in the Kontakt 7 UI which happens when your system doesn't support a high enough level of DirectX 3D. It has a separate nVidia GPU, but it's just too old. 'twould be nice if they had an OpenGL option, but they don't.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am so tired of plugins not appearing in Cakewalk projects.
I have seen this happen in my other DAWS but as I do 95% of my work in Cakewalk its handling of this issue affects me the most.

Because over the years my VST usage has evolved from 32 bit to 64 bit to VST3 it is common when I open even a fairly new project that one or more VSTs don't load.   
Cakewalk will tell you the name of the plugin that fails to load but no info on its format (32/64/VST/VST3/etc) or what preset it was using.
I can see that maybe it isn't possible with an older project to do this but common Cakewalk it's long overdue to be added to current features.

With some projects I then have to ponder is it even worth continuing work on it as it can take several hours (or days depending on available time) per plugin to locate and install older versions until I either hit the right one or ultimately fail.  At least if I knew what format I could either zero in on the correct installer or just move on and replace it.

Edit: I added a request (again) to have this issue addressed. If this is a concern of your's please comment on it or just rate it.

Edited by TheSteven
fixing typos & gramar
  • Like 1

I have Kontakt 6, latest version and I purchased/upgraded to v7 on a special offer from NI. This did NOT unistall v6 in fact it installed v7 as a separate vsti. Now I have the 2 in my vst directory and they both also show up in Native Access.

Any project with v6 in it still opens fine, and loads v6.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you did, but if you did not un-install the v6, then its still there. Installing v7 does not un-install v6.

Good luck,

J

Edited by Jeremy Oakes
Appalling grammer !