Truth Always Hurts

Lord Tim

Here's a song I sadly can't take credit for - it was written by a mostly acoustic duo called My Whisper, but I had my greasy mits all over the recording, mix, master and production, as well as the video clip and various other bits and pieces to fill out the sound.

The first album we did last year was very much a "keep it as stripped back as possible" kind of affair, really sticking to enhancing the sound of a duo/band in a small club just doing great songs, but on this song (and the upcoming album) we kept the core of that philosophy but really ventured out a bit into pop territory.

Anyway, hope you guys dig it! And if you like it, give 'em a follow on their socials! :)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Cheers! :)

The guitar was recorded in my treated live room and mic'd up using a small diaphragm condenser pointed near the 12th fret. For a relatively cheap guitar, it sounded really nice in the mix! That said, it was doubled, and a lot of the song also had a Strat style electric overdubbed too, just to add some texture.

Juz, the guitarist, has one of those acoustic preamp / multi-FX units that he runs the guitar into when they play live which sounds really good considering it's just a DI of the piezo, so I'd actually like to experiment with recording that one day. :)

• 4 weeks later...

This is after the first listen.

Great song LT. You were right about that. Love that acoustic riff through out.  She can sing, has a great voice and does the song justice. 

Really good production. You did a good job on that for sure! I wanna give it a few more listens under better conditions. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 8:17 AM, Lord Tim said:

Here's a song I sadly can't take credit for - it was written by a mostly acoustic duo called My Whisper, but I had my greasy mits all over the recording, mix, master and production, as well as the video clip and various other bits and pieces to fill out the sound.

The first album we did last year was very much a "keep it as stripped back as possible" kind of affair, really sticking to enhancing the sound of a duo/band in a small club just doing great songs, but on this song (and the upcoming album) we kept the core of that philosophy but really ventured out a bit into pop territory.

Anyway, hope you guys dig it! And if you like it, give 'em a follow on their socials! :)

Very good song and interpretation in the video. Congratulations!

• Like 1

Well after many more listens I can say I really do like this song. Listened to some of their other videos and I like 'em.

Now LT you said that you did the video? How did you get all the lyrics in sync? I couldn't detect it being out at all! And the guitar was in sync too! Great work.

Listened to it over several "run of the mill" systems and they all sound about the same.

Again, good work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Nifty song, I liked the "wall of guitars" that in no way stepped on the vocals! I did wondedr if the bass could be a little more present in the mix. But then again, I always wonder that. Great mix and good luck to them in 2023!

Cheers, Tom!

The irony is the guitarist is actually a phenomenal bassist, a cross somewhere between Steve Harris, John Taylor and Flea, and used to play in my band back in the 90s so he definitely has all the chops and then some, so I love cranking his bass loud whenever I get a chance, but at the core of it, this is an acoustic duo so we're trying to be as respectful as we can to keep the "innocence" of that, while still adding all of the production to make a full mix of it. The bass is definitely a deliberate stylistic choice on this. But man, I love it when that guy cuts loose, it's a real treat to watch and hear!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grem said:

Now LT you said that you did the video? How did you get all the lyrics in sync? I couldn't detect it being out at all! And the guitar was in sync too! Great work.

This was actually all filmed in front of a green screen to playback and click so we had a solid foundation for any timing (which we did NOT have for the upcoming clip - on that we used a little Bluetooth speaker on location and nobody could really hear it, but it still looked pretty great despite everyone kind of guessing where the beat was!) So long as we lined up the click count-in on every take, the edit was straightforward to get it to all work, and their miming was pretty good.

We could have shot this in front of a white cyc room, really, and saved me a few days of comping in post production but I wanted to at least have something there to give the idea of depth in the scene so when we did any dolly shots into them, they didn't just get bigger in frame, you could see the horizon drop off as the camera changed angle, etc.  It's funny, we had the option of putting anything behind them and I did try a few things, but we kept coming back to mostly white. Sometimes simple is best. :)

• Like 1

Yeah-Good song!  There's a little tension in the guitar cords that I wasn't sure about, but it really worked very nice when the chorus broke out and the bridge brought it all back. I don't care what anyone says, cheap guitars have uses and this proves it.  You really found all the sweet spots in its character and gave it a good home in the bed of this track. Well done! There are maybe some minor things here and there that stands out in my mind, but nothing I feel would be of any great help to you, as this is so very close to top grade.  I really liked the tune in most all areas. Nice work!

Dean.

• Like 1