Of Summer Past

Vernon Barnes

Well I take issue with your use of the word 'cheating' - creativity and originality comes in many forms, and very few of us can be virtuoso multi-instrumentalists.  I really enjoyed it, vocal has an unusual vibe that I can't really label (a good thing) and takes some unexpected turns on the melody line. I also like the slightly anthemic change up at 3:30. Well done.

Andy

3 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Well I take issue with your use of the word 'cheating' - creativity and originality comes in many forms, and very few of us can be virtuoso multi-instrumentalists. 

I meant it to be a bit tongue in cheek. The alternative would have meant hiring an orchestra among other things 😉. The Hollywood Orchestrator and it's ostinatos cleared a massive roadblock trying to come up with the bridge section, really inspiring.  

You did a great job with it, I didn't mean to take you to task (my reply did come across as a bit heavy), we're all a bit self-deprecating about our own work at times (I know I am).

Sometimes I guess we need to big ourselves up once in a while. 👍

Andy

• Like 1

I see a lot more going on than a typical pop write and the change was rewarding!

Not that there is anything wrong with 'typical pop', but something slightly different is nice.

Part of it reminded me of the Beatles, but maybe I'm just odd. Certainly not the vocals or necessarily the chord progressions. Probably more the introduction of those other instruments and the general feel of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:57 PM, Tim Smith said:

I see a lot more going on than a typical pop write and the change was rewarding!

Not that there is anything wrong with 'typical pop', but something slightly different is nice.

Part of it reminded me of the Beatles, but maybe I'm just odd. Certainly not the vocals or necessarily the chord progressions. Probably more the introduction of those other instruments and the general feel of it.

I think the influences are mostly from the more melodic side of contemporary  prog.  Two bands that influenced this one the most were Luna Rossa and Big Big Train  BBT were the impetuous to attempt a brass arrangement using orchestral and brass band instruments rather than pop/rock brass.