Humble Bundle Vegas Pro Bundle

cclarry

Yay!!! Soundpool vouchers come to me!!!

Right now there are about 20 collections still on sale (the "black weeks" promo hasn't ended yet) for slightly under $20 for the commercial license version. Through the lower tier bundle you can get these collections for $1 (original retail price $79), a wonderful deal if you are interested in soundpools. For those interested in Sound Fx, the Technical and Human collections from the Studio Box Mark II series end up at $4 (original retail price $99)

See the soundpool collections showing up as less than $10 in this page (most of the prices shown will actually be doubled once you select the commercial license)

https://producerplanet.com/us/audio/loops-samples-250/?label[]=magix&sort=price_desc&salesOnly=true

As a reminder, Humble fraud prevention alerts will get triggered if you buy many copies in a very short period of time (good for someone whose cc number is stolen, but pretty annoying for people like me who wants to buy many). If planning on buying multiples of the $1 bundles you probably want to spread your purchases over several weeks and payment methods.

And, if someone wants the other items in the bundle but doesn't care about the soundpool vouchers, feel free to DM me and I'll be happy to buy codes for $1 (the lower-tier price)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ZincT said:

This is interesting as you can currently get the upgrade in the UK to Vegas 20 Edit for £57, and Vegas 20 Pro for £98 if you need the third-party add-ons. Although I stopped buying Vegas at version 15 as it used to crash while rendering, I did like its workflow.

I have been using free DaVinci Resolve since then and I like it a lot, but I'm starting to want the Studio version features. Resolve Studio though would cost me £330 inc VAT, compared to £57 for Vegas 20 Edit (all I need for the same reason as @Tezza), and I'm also curious to see how far Vegas has come since version 15.  This HB deal adds another option - Vegas 18 Edit for £20.99.

I found the information below on the main differences between Vegas 18, 19 and 20. I'm not interested in the filler that comes with the Humble Bundle deal, so the extra £36 for Vegas 20 Edit might be a better deal to get all the latest features.  Anyway, I am still pondering this at the moment as every pound spent on other NLEs could be put towards Davinci Resolve Studio.

342660202_Vegas181920.thumb.png.711249ea1a3da2cc0b08f8a04bb9c245.png

I think I'm in the same boat as you, except the upgrade to 20 is $99.00 AUD, the humble upgrade to 18 is 39.00 AUD and Davinci Studio is $505.00 AUD. I would like to support Blackmagic Design and their products, since they are an Australian company but that's probably a bit much for what I need. The free version is no good for me and to be honest, I find Resolve and Premiere to be a bit clunky compared to editing in Vegas. I've also used Vegas a lot over a few years, so probably know it better and am biased.

Thanks for providing this info, it seems the things in 19 and 20 are not things I would need anyway but there are some things that I could absolutely use in upgrading from 16 to 18. From what I've read, 18 seems to work ok with windows 11, those who reported problems, it either seemed to be related to something else or they found a workaround. 

I think I'll just get the bundle, can also update audio studio.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

For those interested .. here is a good vid review of VEGAS PRO 18

Vegas 18 seems to have made a start on AI EFX

And also this:

Thanks for putting these vids up. There is one problem I have with the plethora of videos on youtube, Udemy etc "teaching" people how to edit with Vegas. They are all doing it wrong. I guess one of them started off doing it the wrong way and then everyone else just copied their videos. The Davinci Resolve guy above is the same. He say's "instead of Vegas being a traditional video editor (like Avid, Premiere, Resolve etc) Vegas does not have a source monitor, it just has the preview monitor and you edit your clips by dragging the clips into the timeline and doing the editing there which I found not so good for complex edits etc...."

There are literally hundreds of tutorials out there saying this, the problem is, they are all wrong and he is wrong. Vegas does indeed have a source monitor and it works just the same way as the other editors. In Vegas, it is called the trimmer window. 

When Vegas is set up like this, it works just the same way as Premiere, Avid and Resolve. You can tick a box in preferences to have clips load straight away into the trimmer (source) window and then set your in/out points and drag selections into the timeline from the source window and make subclips etc so it works exactly the same way. This is the traditional way that NLE's work. So you absolutely can work in Vegas, the same  way as you would in the other NLE's.

I'm on some other video editing forums where it became an issue for discussion. It seems to have arisen because those doing youtube videos tend to want to just edit a few clips or one long clip and editing in the timeline is ok for this, so that's what they did and that's all they thought they could do, because by default, Vegas doesn't load the trimmer window. But when you have a number of clips where you might have clapperboards, over runs and numerous takes in the one shot etc (as in film/doco making) then you really need to use the source window to select/trim bits of the shot, as dragging all that stuff into the timeline would be chaos.

This is sometimes cited as a reason why people switch away from Vegas, because "it doesn't have a source window and editing everything in the timeline gets messy, it's only good for short productions". I don't know how people can even use Vegas efficiently without using the source window. Those who use Vegas for more long form material say the same thing.

Here it is, you can also move the tabs at the bottom of the monitor windows to the top and line things up a bit better:

Vegas trimmer window.jpg

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

16 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Thanks for putting these vids up. There is one problem I have with the plethora of videos on youtube, Udemy etc "teaching" people how to edit with Vegas. They are all doing it wrong. I guess one of them started off doing it the wrong way and then everyone else just copied their videos. The Davinci Resolve guy above is the same. He say's "instead of Vegas being a traditional video editor (like Avid, Premiere, Resolve etc) Vegas does not have a source monitor, it just has the preview monitor and you edit your clips by dragging the clips into the timeline and doing the editing there which I found not so good for complex edits etc...."

There are literally hundreds of tutorials out there saying this, the problem is, they are all wrong and he is wrong. Vegas does indeed have a source monitor and it works just the same way as the other editors. In Vegas, it is called the trimmer window. 

When Vegas is set up like this, it works just the same way as Premiere, Avid and Resolve. You can tick a box in preferences to have clips load straight away into the trimmer (source) window and then set your in/out points and drag selections into the timeline from the source window and make subclips etc so it works exactly the same way. This is the traditional way that NLE's work. So you absolutely can work in Vegas, the same  way as you would in the other NLE's.

I'm on some other video editing forums where it became an issue for discussion. It seems to have arisen because those doing youtube videos tend to want to just edit a few clips or one long clip and editing in the timeline is ok for this, so that's what they did and that's all they thought they could do. But when you have a number of clips where you might have clapperboards, over runs and numerous takes in the one shot etc (as in film/doco making) then you really need to use the source window to select/trim bits of the shot, as dragging all that stuff into the timeline would be chaos.

This is sometimes cited as a reason why people switch away from Vegas, because "it doesn't have a source window and editing everything in the timeline gets messy, it's only good for short productions". I don't know how people can even use Vegas efficiently without using the source window. Those who use Vegas for more long form material say the same thing.

Here it is:

Vegas trimmer window.jpg

Thanks for pointing this out @Tezza He (Jay Lippman) actually did a Vegas Pro 20 review in which he mentions the trimmer, and he says that he's "probably being a bit nitpicky" - you can say that again!

However, as much as I like Resolve, it's not perfect either. I was recently working on a Resolve project for a "virtual choir" video, which had 25 video tracks. It was then that I found a really annoying thing about Resolve that made me want to try out the latest version of Vegas again. In order to move tracks around in Resolve you have to select the track and then "move up" or "move down" one track at a time. There is no drag/drop to re-organise tracks! This has been requested since v15 from what I can tell, so I don't know why it hasn't been added by now.  I also dislike having to go through the project manager to open a project that I'm working on every time I start up Resolve. One thing that keeps me working with Resolve is Fusion, which is absolutely brilliant and opens up so many possibilities.

I'm still tempted by the Humble Bundle deal but Vegas 20 includes Optical flow motion tools; if this is the same as the Resolve feature of the same name then that would be worth having.  Also, the paid version of Resolve vs the free one has magic mask (looks amazing and I would use this a lot), smart reframe, better video Noise Reduction, speed warp, face refinement, and object removal. Do you know if Vegas 18 (or 19,20) has anything similar to these and are they any good? 

Like you, I think that I'm leaning toward the Humble Bundle deal; a significant update from v15 and not much outlay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZincT said:

I think that I'm leaning toward the Humble Bundle deal; a significant update from v15 and not much outlay.

Was the reason I chose to bump up from v14 to v18. No doubt that v20 will probably be in a Humble Bundle in the near future! :)

I also installed Movie Studio 2022 to give it a quick look. Has a clean modern UI and looks like it might be great for small video projects and for less seasoned or occasional video producers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZincT said:

Thanks for pointing this out @Tezza He (Jay Lippman) actually did a Vegas Pro 20 review in which he mentions the trimmer, and he says that he's "probably being a bit nitpicky" - you can say that again!

However, as much as I like Resolve, it's not perfect either. I was recently working on a Resolve project for a "virtual choir" video, which had 25 video tracks. It was then that I found a really annoying thing about Resolve that made me want to try out the latest version of Vegas again. In order to move tracks around in Resolve you have to select the track and then "move up" or "move down" one track at a time. There is no drag/drop to re-organise tracks! This has been requested since v15 from what I can tell, so I don't know why it hasn't been added by now.  I also dislike having to go through the project manager to open a project that I'm working on every time I start up Resolve. One thing that keeps me working with Resolve is Fusion, which is absolutely brilliant and opens up so many possibilities.

I'm still tempted by the Humble Bundle deal but Vegas 20 includes Optical flow motion tools; if this is the same as the Resolve feature of the same name then that would be worth having.  Also, the paid version of Resolve vs the free one has magic mask (looks amazing and I would use this a lot), smart reframe, better video Noise Reduction, speed warp, face refinement, and object removal. Do you know if Vegas 18 (or 19,20) has anything similar to these and are they any good? 

Like you, I think that I'm leaning toward the Humble Bundle deal; a significant update from v15 and not much outlay.

I have paid version if resolve ( also got hardware shuttle for free) and it does make a difference.  I never found Vegas lacking. I just outgrew it as I added motion graphics and compositing into workflow.  I was faster in Vegas than anything else for the longest and my audio was superior

• Like 2

This FOMO epidemic is getting out of hand: 

• hmm, this may be a cheapo way to get a decent video editor for when I need one 🤔
  • it would be nice to settle on one user-friendly option 😏 
  •  feedback is good, seems like a good deal, let's log in on HB and think it over 🤑
  • wow , lookie here, I have purchases from HB, I wonder what they are 🤓
  • oh man, this  one's almost two years old and I never installed it, what the heck is it 🤓🤓
  • hey, it's Pinnacle Studio 24 Ultimate 
  •  giphy.gif
  • Haha 2

I have always liked Vegas Pro.  I've used it so long that it's second nature.  

I make my YouTube videos in Premiere now, but I still use Vegas all the time for other things.    I'm on Vegas Pro 16, so this isn't enough of an upgrade for me.  I am still thinking about whether I want to pay $129 to upgrade to Vegas Pro 20.  I have a few days. 

A lot of the new features I already have in Premiere, though. 

4 hours ago, ZincT said:

@ZincT TBH I upgraded from 15 to 18 for the speed difference in loading etc alone on my win 10 core i5, ssd system it was well worth that €26. 18 just seems alot slicker and solid-er. I also used vegas from start as a DAW .. I have audio projects going way back that still work in it.

As I said above I have split my EFX Vsts and Instrument Vsts into seperate folders. I only let vegas find my EFX folder

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@ZincT TBH I upgraded from 15 to 18 for the speed difference in loading etc alone on my win 10 core i5, ssd system it was well worth that €26. 18 just seems alot slicker and solid-er. I also used vegas from start as a DAW .. I have audio projects going way back that still work in it.

As I said above I have split my EFX Vsts and Instrument Vsts into seperate folders. I only let vegas find my EFX folder

Yeh, I'm sold on the HB deal Aidan :) 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 1:46 AM, ZincT said:

I read that Optical flow was brought into Vegas in version 17, so it will be in version 18 as well. Another good reason to get the HB version if your coming from version 16 or earlier. I've only got 16 but for slow motion, the best is to shoot for it in camera by cranking the frame rate, then just stretching it out on the timeline, the next best is some sort of interpolation, where the software generates new frames based on some AI type algorithm, it predicts what the frames should look like looking at the previous and next frames and generating new ones in between.  I use a third party plugin for that, respeedr but there are others out there. This is what optical flow does apparently. From what I've read, it seems quite good and it's certainly going to be better than simply speeding a clip up or slowing it down, where the software is just duplicating or stripping existing frames. From memory though, Vegas has had an option for using interpolation in slow motion for a long time. I think I did use it but I've always used third party plugins or cranking the frame rate for slow motion.

Magic mask looks interesting but it would be subject to the same problems all AI attempts at rotoscoping masks have, namely, not being able to discern between the background and the masked image when there is little difference in the colors of each.  In Vegas you can do this by bezier masking and motion tracking, which does effectively the same thing, you will still have to tweak it though for a good result, it's had that for some time.

Smart reframe looks interesting and seems to work well in Davinci from what I've read but I haven't used it. In Vegas you combine the pan/crop feature with key frames to achieve the same thing which is slower, but not that bad and you of course have manual control over it.

Apparently, Vegas pro 18 also includes a new video denoise feature, another reason to get the 18 version I guess, don't know how well it works as I have 16 and use third party programs for that, neat video. Face refinement seems to be again, a travelling mask with automated features, from what I've read, it might be good for tiktok or youtube as a "beauty filter" but for film/doco, the manual masking is still preferred unless there is little movement on the talent. In Vegas, its the same thing with a travelling bezier mask containing what you want. Davinci's object removal I think is still considered experimental because it has unpredictable results. From what I've read about it, users are not convinced by it. Again, it might be ok for Tiktok/youtube but not for film/doco. It seems to leave artifacts around the mask area.

A couple of more reasons to get the HB deal, with video noise reduction and optical flow being brought in if you are on 16 or earlier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1