Beginner looking for basic help

Sanford Stein

I have never used any recording software and am trying to figure out Cakewalk.    I want to use a Roland synthesizer as input.    I have connected the synth via MIDI to a USB port on my laptop but it is not linking to the keyboard in Cakewalk.     Furthermore, I do not get any audio output from the computer whether I play the Cakewalk keyboard or the Roland.     As far as I know I do not have any sound inputs on the laptop other than the MIDI USB.   I must be missing something very basic which the online documentation is not telling me.  Thanks for any help you can give me.    sdstein7@yahoo.com

Are you connecting Roland usb to usb on your laptop or are you using a MIDI to usb IF? MIDI is not audio. If you're using MIDI there is no sound, it's messages, some of which are note on and note off. When using MIDI you need to use a SW instrument that will play the MIDI. Check the tutorials section for getting started videos, or yt.

rsinger, thanks for your response.    I'm using MIDI on Roland to USB port on the laptop.     I do this with 1K Multimedia Hammond B3-X software and the output sound goes to the speaker or headphone port.    I was expecting the same thing with Cakewalk, but it sounds like I need an additional piece of software to make this work.  So far I have not seen this addressed in You Tube tutorials, but I'll keep looking.

38 minutes ago, Sanford Stein said:

I do this with 1K Multimedia Hammond B3-X software and the output sound goes to the speaker or headphone port. 

The IK Hammond is a VSTi that triggers the audio built into the software.  Really need more information on your setup.

Audio-Interface?

What Roland Synth?  

Computer/laptop setup?

If the Roland USB is only transmitting MIDI over USB and not Audio over USB you will need a ASIO audio-interface most likely to get it to work.

46 minutes ago, Sanford Stein said:

I'm using MIDI on Roland to USB port on the laptop.     I do this with 1K Multimedia Hammond B3-X software and the output sound goes to the speaker or headphone port.    I was expecting the same thing with Cakewalk, but it sounds like I need an additional piece of software to make this work.  So far I have not seen this addressed in You Tube tutorials, but I'll keep looking.

• Question of Clarification: Is the IK BX-3 being used in standalone mode? 
    • If so, use it as a plug-in within Cakewalk. 
    • As others have said, more details are needed so others can better point you in the direction of making it happen with your setup and workflow. 

I have a very basic inexpensive HP Pavilion laptop running Windows 10.    The audio input is a microphone and the audio output options are the speaker and a single headphone port.     The Roland synthesizer is a JX-3P (1980's vintage).

I do use the 1K B3-X in standalone mode.   It sounds like you are saying that I should get Cakewalk to recognize that app as a plug-in.    I do not see the B3-X in my list of plugins so I tried "Scan VST Folders" but it did not find the app.     If I could get Cakewalk to use the B3-X app's keyboard as input, and then use my Roland as a MIDI controller for the B3-X, maybe this would achieve what I'm trying to do?

Otherwise it sounds like my only other option is that ASIO audio interface.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

1 hour ago, Sanford Stein said:

I do use the 1K B3-X in standalone mode.   It sounds like you are saying that I should get Cakewalk to recognize that app as a plug-in.    I do not see the B3-X in my list of plugins so I tried "Scan VST Folders" but it did not find the app.     If I could get Cakewalk to use the B3-X app's keyboard as input, and then use my Roland as a MIDI controller for the B3-X, maybe this would achieve what I'm trying to do?

Thanks for your workflow details. Other users here might be better to help get you through  the steps to make sure IK's B-3X is in your VST list. 

• Just a few thoughts:
    • Are the paths for the B-3X's plug-ins listed correctly in the VST scan list?
      • You type 1K here (One Kay), not IK (as in the first letters in "Indigo Kale")
    • I almost always use default paths which for the IK Hammond B-3X is on my PC are:
      • C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins
        • for the *.dll version  [Hammond B-3X.dll]
      • C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
        • for the *.vst3 version [Hammond B-3X.vst3]
      • Your paths might be different, but if it were me, I'd start looking there.
    • Cakewalk generates a VstScan.log text file. Mine has entries including:
      •  106: c:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins\Hammond B-3X.dll
      • 428: c:\program files\common files\vst3\Hammond B-3X.vst3
      • These items tell me the vst scanner found them. Later entries tell me Cakewalk knows where to find them and there are no errors  to loading them.
    • Is your Plugin Browser set up to view plugins by Manufacturer?

Out of curiosity, how are you getting MIDI data out from the JX-3P and into your laptop. 

On 12/1/2022 at 12:11 PM, Sanford Stein said:

I have connected the synth via MIDI to a USB port on my laptop but it is not linking to the keyboard in Cakewalk. 

6 hours ago, Sanford Stein said:

I'm using MIDI on Roland to USB port on the laptop.

1983 synths had 5-pin DIN connector, not usb/midi connector.

On 12/1/2022 at 12:11 PM, Sanford Stein said:

As far as I know I do not have any sound inputs on the laptop other than the MIDI USB.

MIDI is a digital form of communicating between devices; its is not sound. 

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos

My Hammond vst file is in C:\Program Files\Common Files\vst3\Hammond B-3X.vst.    Under Edit->Preferences->VST settings->VST Scan Paths, I do see C:\Program Files\Common Files\vst3.    But when I click on 'Plugins' the Hammond B-3X does not appear.    So there must be something else I need to do to make Cakewalk see this vst file.    There is an option in the Plugin dropdown for 'Sort by Manufacturer' but I do not see the Hammond when I select that option.     Do you mean something else by "Plugin Browser"?

I get the MIDI data from the JX-3P into the laptop with a MIDI to USB cable.      The MIDI end is plugged into both MIDI in and MIDI out on the synth and the USB is plugged into a USB port on the laptop.    This setup works fine when  I use the synth as a controller for the B3-X app (and send output from the headphone port into an instrument amplifier).

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the additional details.  Re: Plugin dropdown v. Plugin Browser: If you are referring to Menu Bar > Utilities > Cakewalk Plugin Manager, yes, I am referring to something else: Menu Bar > Views > Browser > Plugins Tab where the dropdown arrow has the option to Sort by Manufacturer.  When I do that, and have Instruments selected in the Bowser Pane,  my expanded IK Multimedia folder has the Hammond B-3X plugins as well as others IK Instruments.

If you don't have an IK Multimedia folder listed under Instruments when sorted by Manufacturer or it doesn't have the B-3X inside, try typing B-3X in the plugin search bar (right below the Audio FX | MIDI FX | Instruments | ReWire buttons) case it got placed in a different folder. You can also try sorting by Category. My B-3X is under Synths, but I sometimes Instruments get put under Uncategorized.

If that doesn't help, I will defer to other users who have more experience in addressing your issues now that some of the easy diagnostic stuff has been addressed.  I know there are tutorials, other threads, and online documentation that spell out the steps for properly installing plug-ins, but others are better at locating those than I am. 

As for having Cakewalk see the MIDI Input from the JX-3P, double check to make sure have you selected the usb midi in device properly: Edit >  Preferences (the default shortcut is P) > MIDI > Devices. If it is checked, but no MIDI data is coming into Cakewalk, it might be helpful to know more about the usb MIDI interface you are using.   

Edited by User 905133
to add a section re: not seeing the JX-3P as a midi input device

51 minutes ago, Sanford Stein said:

My Hammond vst file is in C:\Program Files\Common Files\vst3\Hammond B-3X.vst. 

Proper VST3 plug-in binaries have a .vst3 extension.

nder Edit->Preferences->VST settings->VST Scan Paths, I do see C:\Program Files\Common Files\vst3.    But when I click on 'Plugins' the Hammond B-3X does not appear.    So there must be something else I need to do to make Cakewalk see this vst file. 

VST2/3 plug-ins must be scanned before they are available to the DAW. By default,

• the scanner runs when the DAW starts up and
  • any plug-ins added to the scan path since the last scan are automatically scanned

here is an option in the Plugin dropdown for 'Sort by Manufacturer' but I do not see the Hammond when I select that option. 

IKM is the manufacturer of the plug-in. The Hammond name is licensed as part of IKM's marketing. 

Regardless, try the search box in the plug-in browser for B or B3. This may help determine if the plug-in is in the plug-in layout.

Depending on the scan options the plug-in may have failed scanning, is waiting to be scanned or scanned properly and you are looking in the wrong place for the plug-in.  

Assuming the plug-in scanned correctly, try using the Add Track function to add the B3, refer to the To create Instrument tracks in the link provided.

If the plug-in is not listed, try running a VST Reset from Preferences > File > VST settings with "Scan in Sandbox" and "Generate Scan Log" enabled. This way if the plug-in fails to scan, the log may provide a clue.

• Thanks 1

,User 905133 and scook, thanks to all your hints I can now see IK Multimedia Hammond B3-X in my plugin list, and when I choose it for a track I do see the Hammond keyboard interface.      However, when I use that interface nothing is recording, although I can hear the notes as I play them.     Furthermore, the Roland synth does not work as a controller as I was hoping.    (Am I possibly accessing a Hammond B3-X plugin contained within Cakewalk as opposed to the app I usually use?    The 'Settings' screen is different than what I am used to.)     At this point I am thinking that my idea is not going to work without additional sound card hardware, but if anyone has any more thoughts please send them along.     Meanwhile I will go through documentation and tutorials.

31 minutes ago, Sanford Stein said:

However, when I use that interface nothing is recording, although I can hear the notes as I play them. 

Many plug-in UIs provide a way to audition the plug-in often in the form of a keyboard image. "Playing" this keyboard does not create MIDI data in the plug-ins instrument/MIDI track because the track is before the plug-in in the signal flow.

To monitor a track before and during recording make sure input echo is enabled on the instrument/MIDI track. The input echo button is immediately right of the track record button. 

If they Roland keyboard plays the standalone B3 synth, it should be able to drive the DAW too. The keyboard will likely show up as some generic MIDI input device (given the USB MIDI cable) in Preferences > MIDI > Devices

Of course, audio preferences will need to be configured too.  Given the plug-in audition is audible, audio may be setup properly.

Setting up the standalone B3 is similar albeit simpler than a DAW as they both need access to the same hardware and drivers.