Pianobook countdown to Christmas

satya

20 hours ago, jude77 said:

There is some good stuff on that site if you take the time to sort through it.

That's exactly what I've found. I've downloaded many of the pianos there and found a fair amount of them have a lot of noise and other issues. The libraries are often made by musicians trying their hand at sampling and coding for their first time, so you need to set your expectations accordingly. But sometimes you can find some really wonderful libraries there. I think it's worth the effort. It's a great  and inspiring ccommunity of very generous musicians giving away their work  fof free -- and some are paid, to make the venture profitable for Spitfire (to be realistic,  having this site and huge files costs money,  so I think that's  completely reasonable-- I just love that. 

I created a thread in the past sharing my favorite Pianobook libraries and others joined in, if anyone is interested and wants to search for it. I would be game to update it if anyone thinks it would be helpful and save them time. Just let me know.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

I'd be interested in that Peter - thanks. I'm limited to the Decent Sampler libraries but I'm sure others will be interested in your recommendations of the Kontakt one

Joe, I couldn't find the thread I made several months ago, but it had a lot of KONTAKT sample libraries for the paid player. Sometime today or this weekend, I'm going to put together a list of sample libraries I recommend from Pianobook and elsewhere that are free and can be used in a free player. I've already started on it and will keep a document for future use this time. I'll invite others to share their recommended libraries. The idea is that everything will be recommendations. Libraries we've actually used, so hopefully, it will save you time finding the best free libraries and I've started making the list and it's pretty nice with a lot of variety and sources from Pianobook and far beyond. I'll tag you when I put it up!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1

1 minute ago, PavlovsCat said:

Joe, I couldn't find the thread I made several months ago, but it had a lot of KONTAKT sample libraries for the paid player. Sometime today or this weekend, I'm going to put together a list of sample libraries I recommend from Pianobook and elsewhere that are free and can be used in a free player. I've already started on it and will keep a document for future use this time. I'll invite others to share their recommended libraries. The idea is that everything will be recommendations. Libraries we've actually used, so hopefully, it will save you time finding the best free libraries and I've started making the list and it's pretty nice with a lot of variety and sources from Pianobook and far beyond. I'll tag you when I put it up!  

Great!!!
Thanks a lot @PavlovsCat

I will try to help if is possible :)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

That's exactly what I've found. I've downloaded many of the pianos there and found a fair amount of them have a lot of noise and other issues. The libraries are often made by musicians trying their hand at sampling and coding for their first time, so you need to set your expectations accordingly. But sometimes you can find some really wonderful libraries there. I think it's worth the effort. It's a great  and inspiring ccommunity of very generous musicians giving away their work  fof free -- and some are paid, to make the venture profitable for Spitfire

I think it's a great idea to curate of list of the best (and free) libraries in Pianobook!

Not trying to hijack the thread, but this info may be of related interest:

An alternative place to look for similar small single instrument libraries, if anybody has not already done so, are the free libraries from Spitfire LABS that have already been curated by Spitfire. Most are high quality and interesting/unusual simple instruments, but are locked into the dedicated Spitfire plugin format which I am not absolutely crazy about. But usable I would say, because there are some fine sounds in there.

What is LABS?

"An infinite series of free software instruments, made by musicians and sampling experts in London, for anyone, anywhere. Presented in our own plug-in, they are easy to use, and compatible with any DAW. And in case you missed it — they're all free."

https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012758197-Spitfire-Audio-LABS-Manual-and-Quick-Start-Guide

Edited by abacab