Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Hard Drive w/ V-NAND Technology, Storage and Memory Expansion for Gaming, Graphics w/ Heat Control, Max Speed, MZ-V7S2T0B/AM

cclarry

33 minutes ago, abacab said:

Not too bad!!! I put a 500GB 970 EVO Plus M.2 in my system as the boot drive, fast as hell! :)

I didn't need 2 TB for that use, but this one would make an excellent sample content drive!

What do you think of having a 4tb ssd just for the OS, a 2nd 4tb ssd for audio files, a 3rd 4tb ssd for libraries and a 4th 4tb for more sample libraries? That's what a guy in a beard and glasses said to get on YouTube

Edited by Christian Jones

24 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

What do you think of having a 4tb ssd just for the OS

I like to keep my 500GB OS SSD about 50% used, which in my case only requires about 250GB.

I make daily full images of my OS boot drive every night, and retain about 5 days worth of images on my backup drive. If my OS drive held more data than 250GB, the images would run longer and the backup drive would need a lot more space. So it's an efficiency decision for me. As it is, only about 40 minutes are required to restore my boot drive with a previous image if things in software ever go sideways. And they occasionally have. No need to waste hours and days troubleshooting, just roll back and good to go again in 40 minutes! ;)

My OS drive contains Windows, plus my account folders like documents, etc., along with all applications and plugin folders (.dll & .vst3). All application content and plugin sample libraries are kept on a separate internal SSD that gets backed up weekly.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

Chillblast who are building my new PC (and built my current one over 10 years ago) have charged me around £300 for one of these as a data drive (I have 1Tb of the same for my system drive)   which is a bit steep to say the least (their other component costs are not unreasonable and they have a five year warranty - 3 years on site) but I thought I may as well have it fitted from day one. 

3 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

Chillblast who are building my new PC (and built my current one over 10 years ago) have charged me around £300 for one of these as a data drive

That ain't cool. I guess that's the cost of having someone build for you. Not eveyone has time or desire to build their own  but I wouldn't be able to get my mind around such an upcharge

• Like 1