Using Native Instruments

alan933

I installed some of these and they are detected and show in the instrument lists for VSTs

But when I drag them to a track and select an instrument in them. Nothing plays.

I can hear the sound when I select an instrument in the Kontact 7 window but after closing it it doesn't play. I am using one now called "Play Series"

Anybody have any experience with this?

8 minutes ago, alan933 said:

But when I drag them to a track and select an instrument in them. Nothing plays.

Could you be dragging the plug-ins to an audio FX rack? While this can work, it is not recommended for most synth plug-ins.

Instead of dragging the plug-in to a track, try inserting the plug-in using the add track menu (review the "To create instrument tracks" section) or dragging the plug-in to an empty part of the track view below the existing tracks and above the bus section.

11 minutes ago, scook said:

Could you be dragging the plug-ins to an audio FX rack? While this can work, it is not recommended for most synth plug-ins.

Instead of dragging the plug-in to a track, try inserting the plug-in using the add track menu (review the "To create instrument tracks" section) or dragging the plug-in to an empty part of the track view below the existing tracks and above the bus section.

thanks but its the same difference either way .

I can't even get any sounds out of any of them even though my focusrite shows in the preferences the same way it does for cakewalk.

Another one called Guitar Rig, can't get anything out of it  , it seems to be a standalone midi instrument program but , donno.

image.thumb.png.cd325538fec7f8dbb8be6056c05a108b.png

Ok,  I did finally get one to play but only in the stand alone player , one called Kontakt (but Kontackt7 didn't work) after I set up the midi. Wow, extremely difficult to use and understand. Could not get it to play as an instrument in cakewalk. I'm missing a secret setting somewhere.

image.thumb.png.22083f1ffb153d22ca941083755254f0.png

Edited by alan933

3 minutes ago, alan933 said:

Another one called Guitar Rig, can't get anything out of it

This is a guitar amp simulator NOT a guitar synth plug-in. IOW, this is an audio FX plug-in (there is a standalone version too) made to simulate the effects, amplifiers and speaker cabinets in a typical electric guitar setup. The plug-in is not a synth and does not make sounds on its own.

Track 25 is an instrument track setup to use Kontakt 7 but all I can tell from the image provided is "Always Echo Current MIDI Track" is enabled. The track I/O assignments are hidden. You may want to review these assignments in the track inspector or change the workspace setting to None to reveal all the controls in the track view.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Alan Tubbs said:

Kontakt shows up as my latest version of the software.  Older versions have the # following.

In my system, Kontakt 6 is just "Kontakt" (no number), while Kontakt 7 is "Kontakt 7". And as I recall, Kontakt 5 was "Kontakt 5".

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

It's cute how you're shooting off at the mouth without knowing what the hell you're talking about. Maybe you ought to try looking.

goofball they admit they don't even support their product outside of a "quickstart" guide. There is nothing. Stop assuming its the poster's fault until you get the facts.

Your snide comment drew first blood.

• Meh 1

On 12/15/2022 at 4:59 PM, bdickens said:

Nothing, huh? What's all this stuff?

G.thumb.png.d60c1105d529cafce0b2d62f9ba03521.pngK.thumb.png.d11ff86a0be489bd88ea05eaa37c4b0b.png

I must be hallucinating.

Not hallucinating, just not paying attention. I don't need to know how something works WHEN IT WORKS.

I need to know how to fix it when it is configured correctly and still DOESN' T WORK. 

Which they do not provide.

image.png.8c2f64438933748847690f31684fd24c.png

I went with Artura Analog Lab V, at least it works even though there is some lag in the sounds. 

And they are very good at supporting their free products even. They answered me right away with help.

Edited by alan933
  • Like 1

I don't wish to be harsh but you do need to understand the difference between VST audio effects and VST virtual instruments. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I have had no problems with Kontakt.

Try a less antagonistic approach and I'm sure you will find people willing to talk you through it. We are all friends here and using derogatory terms is not appropriate.

As mentioned above have a look at the user manuals for Kontakt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alan933 said:

I need to know how to fix it when it is configured correctly and still DOESN' T WORK

If it was configured correctly, then it would be working.

You need to step back, take a deep breath and RTFM.

Mine works. Wonder of wonders. Maybe that's because I'll crack open a book before I go off half cocked.

Edited by bdickens
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alan933 said:

I went with Artura Analog Lab V, at least it works even though there is some lag in the sounds. 

This comment indicates that something is still not correct in your setup. There should not be any audio lag if you have configured your audio interface correctly in Cakewalk.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Mine works. Wonder of wonders. 

That bit I said about us being friends here...... Let's give the OP a chance and hopefully we can help them through. Though I totally agree a look at the manual is a necessary first step 🙂 

Edited by JoeGBradford
  • Like 2

In my experience, Kontakt Player seems to be more sensitive to wanting the MIDI track that's driving it set to output on channel 1.

Sometimes I have to sacrifice a chicken or two to get it to either start making sound or start making sounds again after it mysteriously stops, and setting the MIDI track to channel 1 is the first chicken I sacrifice. Make sure the input to the MIDI track is set to your keyboard controller or interface's output, channel 1. Then make sure it's output is set to Kontakt channel 1.

Sometimes I have to go back to the coop and create a whole new MIDI and synth track and copy the data from the old MIDI track. I don't know why this happens and why what I do makes it work again, it just does sometimes. It's like having an old car where you have to tap the accelerator a couple of times before it will start, then skip first gear because otherwise it will stall out. Then be sure not to turn off the wipers before you turn off the defroster.

It makes no sense, but I need it to work more than I need it to make sense. It probably has something to do with how wonderfully versatile and powerful Kontakt is. But sometimes with great power comes great "I have no idea how the %@*& to get this thing to work."

So, to the OP, try setting the MIDI input and output channels to 1, even though it shouldn't make any difference. The channel setting may not even be the "problem," but if setting it fixes it, who cares?

(if holding the chicken in your right hand, shake it in a counterclockwise direction)