Band in a box 2023 end of year sale

Yan Filiatrault

The usual end of year sale just started with the release of the new Windows 2023 version. Look at the website for the different options:

https://www.pgmusic.com

Over 70 new features, including KV331 Audio’s SynthMaster player synth now built-in inside the program.

Sale until December 31st 2022

Edited by Yan Filiatrault
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

There's also a new Xtra Styles Pak 15

https://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?pak=all&os=win#pak15

All  of these paks are now $29 (normally $49) and you can get 1-15 for $199.

https://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

My whole video I did on BIAB would not be possible without me buying all the xtra styles paks at the time.

This upgrade is going to cost me $99, plus another $58 for the two Xtra Styles I don't have.  😡

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 5

From their site...

There are over 70 new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2023!

This includes many major new features. There are Partial Track Re-Generations, with an on-screen Regeneration Panel and an Always Different setting to get up to 40 variations on any RealTracks. Undo - Track Generation and Undo - Song Generation is added. You can now copy, cut, paste, delete, insert, and do other editing functions to the RealTracks/RealDrums tracks, while preserving the ability for the tracks to re-generate new material. Auto-Save Song prevents data loss. Playable Tracks are enhanced for Playable RealTracks (404 new Sforzando sounds, 700 total - all with Audio Demos), and now include Playable RealDrums, MIDI SuperTracks and MIDI tracks. There are now RealTracks Stems, separate isolated tracks available for multi-track RealTracks like Horns (e.g., Crooner, Blues), Vocals, and String Quartets. Master Track Volume Automation for fadeouts, crescendos etc. added. SynthMaster® Player synth included, with modern/techno sounds. Audio Input monitoring to hear your Audio Input (e.g., electric guitar with effects) through to Audio Out. Arpeggiator sounds available. EZ Selection of your RealTracks/RealDrums Folders. Help for "Style not Found" providing info and lists of substitutes. Generate Intros using Song Chords. RealDrums Fills control, Enhancements for StylePicker - Preview, Prototypes and Rebuild, and much more!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2023 DAW Plugin offers over 40 exciting new features and enhancements, including Drum Stems (separate tracks from the different microphones used during the actual recording sessions), 4 color schemes to choose from, enhanced chord settings, improved undo/redo operation, "Rebuild StylePicker" notification whenever rebuild is required, EZ RealTracks/RealDrums Folder Locations dialog, and more!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

There's also a new Xtra Styles Pak 15

https://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?pak=all&os=win#pak15

All  of these paks are now $29 (normally $49) and you can get 1-15 for $199.

https://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

My whole video I did on BIAB would not be possible without me buying all the xtra styles paks at the time.

This upgrade is going to cost me $99, plus another $58 for the two Xtra Styles I don't have.  😡

Usually they sell the Xtra Styles Pak bundle for 199$, but I don’t see it this time. Where do you see it?

Edit: Found the bundle on individual packs pages.

51 minutes ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

You’re not going to add the 49$ extra Pak with the upgrade? It’s not worth it?

Oh God, I haven't seen that yet. 🤔  I'll listen to the demos, if they are available. 

AFAIK if you don't buy these Paks each year that come with the update, you miss out on the chance of ever getting to buy them.  I think it may be a way to nudge completists to upgrade every year.  But are they worth $49? 

I started from the release of BIAB in the late 80s, when it was all MIDI and came on a CD.  I think it cost about $50.  I remember the original set had the theme song from "The Flintstones" and I loved that.  I updated for many years and then stopped.  But since I came back to it in 2016, I've upgraded every year.  I have a LOT of money in this thing, but I use it all the time.  

I often like to map out a piece of music in BIAB and then use it as a guide track.  It's so useful.  And I don't feel bad about using it now and then  for a backing track.

• Like 3

@Reid Rosefelt I didn’t asked you that to discourage you. You have been very helpful to explain in the past how they are working and what to get. You were saying that every year you took the upgrade and the extra yearly 49$ PAK, so that’s why I was asking why you don’t intend to get it this time.

Edit: you answered at the same time in the previous post

• Like 1

I never feel certain about the right upgrade to get.  PGMusic added an upgrade eligible tool to the website, but it says I cam update to almost everything.  I think I have most of what they have, so I am not sure what I get to go to Ultra, etc. 

Edited by Greg
  • Like 1

So much to unpack about all these new features, but one thing is true.  Making solos in the past wasn't easy and now it is.

Some time ago I made a video that said that, while the accompaniment part of BIAB works great even though it's random--it's not good for making solos . You get a few bars that are kinda good and then there is one really bad measure.  And then when you regenerate you hate everything.  BIAB had some ways to deal with this, but they were clumsy to use and didn't really work.   So I made this crazy video, which said the only way to do it was to output the stems to audio and comp them!   An insane idea that I'm sure nobody aside from me ever did.  But I did do a demo for my friend Ezra using exactly this method.  This is completely BIAB except for some guitar, piano and organ by me.  Very badly mixed, this was a long time ago. 

Anyway, the version of BIAB that came out after my video last year solved this problem.  And this year they made it even better.

Did PG Music watch my video?  It's not impossible.   There aren't many BIAB videos on YouTube, and this is probably the only one that focuses on a workaround for a problem.   

EDIT:  I no longer think this is true about solo tracks. The new features affect other things, like drum tracks.  But as I said, they addressed this problem last year.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, fret_man said:

Hmmm, no sale price for first time buyers. I can wait.

If you’re looking for a better price for first time buyers, you can look on Ebay (musical-progressions seller). For example, new version of BIAB 2023 Pro is 98$. Then you can benefit from the upgrade sale. That’s what I did the first time I got it. And they are endorsed by PG Music, so totally legit.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

An insane idea that I'm sure nobody aside from me ever did. 

Nope, I've been on that crazy train before.

However, I've not used BIAB for over 5 years now (even though I upgraded to 2020) so I'm on the fence as to whether even spend the money on this ever again.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 2

So much to unpack about all these new features, but one thing is true.  Making solos in the past wasn't easy and now it is.

Some time ago I made a video that said that, while the accompaniment part of BIAB works great even though it's random--it's not good for making solos . You get a few bars that are kinda good and then there is one really bad measure.  And then when you regenerate you hate everything.  BIAB had some ways to deal with this, but they were clumsy to use and didn't really work.   So I made this crazy video, which said the only way to do it was to output the stems to audio and comp them!   An insane idea that I'm sure nobody aside from me ever did.  But I did do a demo for a friend's song using exactly this method.

The version of BIAB that came out after my video last year solved this problem.  And this year they made it even better. 

Did PG Music watch my video?  It's not impossible.   There aren't many BIAB videos on YouTube, and this is probably the only one that focuses on a workaround for a problem.  

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 10:26 AM, Reid Rosefelt said:

There are over 70 new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2023!

I got the 2021 UltraPak+ which came on a hard drive.

If I just upgrade the BIAB program to 2023 Pro with the 70 new features for $69, will all of my existing 2021 UltrPak+ content continue to work? I really don't want to add any more content if I don't have to unless the new features would require it.