Many PVR CC lines slow down DAW performance

Oak

Question

I use Cakewalk to compose midi music and I need to draw expression curves (mainly CC1, CC11, CC7, ...). I have noticed that when you record the CC curves from the controller or drawing them, thousands of points are generated. This shouldn't be a problem... but when you have more than 20 instruments simultaneously with thousands of CC points playing, Cakewalk starts to suffer and slows down. This is a pain.

In addition, the file size and save time are increased. And the "autosave" is activated continuously because any small modification in a line implies thousands of changed points (thousands of events that triggers autosave).

Would it be possible to manage CC commands as "lines" or "spline lines", like the volume and pan lines in the general view? This would decrease the stored CC nodes and make Cakewalk lighter when working with many instruments.

3 answers to this question

On 11/30/2022 at 7:51 PM, Oak said:

Would it be possible to manage CC commands as "lines" or "spline lines", like the volume and pan lines in the general view? This would decrease the stored CC nodes and make Cakewalk lighter when working with many instruments.

There is a CAL script called "Thin Controller Data.CAL".  This deletes every other controller event.  That may do the job.

I have also written a CAL script that removes any series of controller events that are less than 30 ticks of each other.  (first and last of the series of MIDI events are never deleted). The 30 ticks can be changed in the code.