It’s rather quiet now

Fleer

4 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Awesome. Would anyone be interested in a poll on what main genres of music everyone here does? If so, what would the main categories be? Rock, hip hop, EDM, jazz, funk, country,  blues...?

Ambient, classical, Tangerine Dream... ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, abacab said:

Ambient, classical, Tangerine Dream... ;)

That's cool! I love it.

I've had an interest in ambient and told that one improvised piano focused piece of music I wrote seemed to fit the category. I know how to write rock/pop/R&B and even studied songwriting in my youth. But how would you recommend getting started with ambient songwriting? Beyond listening to ambient songs? More specifically,  to understand the general frameworks of the genre. For example,  how rock songs tend to be structured with an intro, verse, chorus and bridge/middle eight in various order..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PavlovsCat said:

But how would you recommend getting started with ambient songwriting? Beyond listening to ambient songs? More specifically,  to understand the general frameworks of the genre. For example,  how rock songs tend to be structured with an intro, verse, chorus and bridge/middle eight in various order..

Probably your best bet would be to search YouTube for tutorials by ambient producers. I have listened to various genres of progressive rock/ambient/new age music for decades but have never tried to seriously write it other than some noodles and scribbles here and there. I seriously doubt that it follows a pop rock song structure, but I'm sure there must be a discipline to writing the good stuff, at least in the A, B, A, C, A, B parts etc. Repeating the familiar is an old trick. ;)

• Thanks 1