Way to transfer clips from different files?

Ælleden

Hello,

I would like to copy paste some of my clips from one cakewalk file to another cakewalk file.

The problem being is that you cannot have 2 cakewalk files open at the same time so my question is:
- How do you transfer things from one file to another?

The way I would do it on another software would be to have both files open, CTRL+C in the source one and CTRL+V in the one I'm working on but obviously it's not possible there.
I know that for instruments you can save your instrument as a template or something but how about like a whole clip? Or even samples you used, it would be convenient to just be able to have 2 files open and see instantly what sample it was for the kick for example and just copy paste it in your other scene instead of having to manually write down the name somewhere, then openning the other file, finding it back in your folder of samples to use it again.

This is getting annoying as openning Cakewalk is not something that happens instantly, especially as the file gets bigger and bigger or when you open an older hefty file.

Is there any trick to "solve" this issue?

Thank you

Ælleden

you  can  still  copy (CTL-C) and paste (CTRL-V) between Cakewalk  files and yes you can have two CW projects  open at  the same time.   Just  have to toggle  between each with the  Windows menu at  the top.

Another way is Export the audio to  .wav or .mp3 from one project, then  import the audio to the  other cakewalk  project.   File menu or the  Export button  on the  tool  bar.

I  hope that helps.

bm

22 minutes ago, Ælleden said:

I would like to copy paste some of my clips from one cakewalk file to another cakewalk file.

The problem being is that you cannot have 2 cakewalk files open at the same time . . . .
- How do you transfer things from one file to another?

The way I would do it on another software would be to have both files open, CTRL+C in the source one and CTRL+V in the one I'm working on but obviously it's not possible there.  [emphasis added]

Your workflow is different from mine, so I cannot suggest good methods to do what you want.  I will leave that to others who have more experience doing the kinds of things you do.

• I am only chiming in related to the quotes I cited above.
    • 1.  Check [ P ]references > File > Advanced.
    • 2. If "Allow Only One Open Project at a Time" is checked, uncheck it.
  • Maybe this will help.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos and added some optimism

That's what I have there:
b7yh7Fe.png

"Allow Only One Open Project at a Time" is already unticked by default.
And I still cannot open either a .cwp file or open a fresh Cakewalk file if I already have one open.

In the scenario where I want to open an existing file, from my explorer for example, it will open it from my already openned session and close the one I had open.
In the scenario where I want to open a fresh Cakewalk, it will show the "as administrator" prompt but will never open when I click "yes"

Edited by Ælleden

11 minutes ago, Ælleden said:

. . .the option . . . you're talking about was already unticked.

Yup; that's why I said "If 'Allow Only One Open Project at a Time' is checked, uncheck it." 

As a test, I just unchecked it on my PC and was able to load three different projects and switch among them. I always just work with one project open at a time. 

17 minutes ago, Bradley Magee said:

Just  have to toggle  between each with the  Windows menu at  the top.

Since this is not working for you, I will defer to others for additional diagnostic and workflow suggestions.

Edited by User 905133
to edit out the screen shot the OP posted since its right there above my reply.
  • Meh 1

Lord Tim, yes I am, it was like that by default, I never changed it

Edit: just tried without "running as admin" mode and it still doesn't open 2 sessions at a time, when I try to open the second one, it just maximizes the previous window like if Windows was telling me "Hey look, you have it open already it's there"

Edited by Ælleden

Unless you have a really good reason to do so, it's best to not run it as Admin (so take the tick box out of that in the shortcut). The only real reason you'd want to do that is if you're running certain old plugins that don't play nice with current Windows permissions or if you're troubleshooting, and it can actually break things like dragging and dropping files from other windows into Cakewalk, amongst other things.

This could be your issue - see how you go running it all as a regular user permission.

2 hours ago, Ælleden said:

You didn't say if, you edited your message AFTER I answered with that comment you quoted. So don't try to make me look like a fool please, thank you.

(1) I didn't imply you were. If you thought I was saying you were a fool, that's unfortunate.

(2) In the full version version of the post, I had the word, "If" before "Allow Only One Open Project at a Time" is checked, uncheck it."

(3) I added the line, "Maybe this will help."

(4) There was a first version before that which got submitted because I accidentally hit "Submit." 

Edited by User 905133
(5) deleted (5); (4) changed "100% in your head" to "unfortunate;" (3) fixed typos in this box; (2) added "which" and changed "for" to "from; (1) typos edited only to change the last item from (3) to (5). Nothing malevolent, just corrective a typo.

Don't try anything fancy with Windows or Cakewalk, it doesn't have to be complicated. While you have a project already open, go to File > Open and open a new project. This should have them both loaded in at once, and you can go to the Window menu and switch between them (or do CTRL+Tab), or if you have a nice big monitor like I do, tile them in columns so you can see them side by side - copying settings or tracks is a breeze when you can see it all in front of you.

5 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

While you have a project already open, go to File > Open and open a new project. This should have them both loaded in at once, and you can go to the Window menu and switch between them (or do CTRL+Tab)

Ok so this works with the shortcut you mentionned, but I can't find where to do it manually to switch between files.

I didn't understand that openning 2 files was about having 2 files open in the SAME Cakewalk instance. I thought it would be like it usually is for most apps, so like having 2 explorers open side by side in different windows.

I can't quite find how you can tile them in collumns, I can switch between them with the shortcut you mentionned tho.
I have 2 monitors, so maybe I could extend my Cakewalk app on them both and then split in columns inside the instance.

Look in the Window menu at the top for Tile in Columns.

EDIT: If you can't see certain menu items, you might be using Cakewalk Workspace that hides them, so set that to Advanced if you get stuck. Should be there by default though.

Edited by Lord Tim

1 minute ago, Ælleden said:

I didn't understand that openning 2 files was about having 2 files open in the SAME Cakewalk instance. I thought it would be like it usually is for most apps, so like having 2 explorers open side by side in different windows.

50 minutes ago, Bradley Magee said:

you  can  still  copy (CTL-C) and paste (CTRL-V) between Cakewalk  files and yes you can have two CW projects  open at  the same time.   Just  have to toggle  between each with the  Windows menu at  the top. [emphasis added]

I agree that he could have written:

Just have to toggle between each with the Windows dropdown menu  in the CbB Menu bar.  Menu Bar > Window. 

image.png.d6c20378398843dacdd0df696c152113.png 

I was going to add, "I hope this helps" to my last post that supported your possible misunderstanding of Bradley Magee's comment, but after I posted it, I saw you had given me a thumbs down to a well-intentioned, well-meaning, positive attempt to help you problem solve.  Because you accused me of trying to make you looks like a fool alleging that I edited my post to make you look like a fool, I thought to myself, "Don't edit the post."

I hope you can see that I was being supportive of your misinterpretation. 

And if I edited the post to add some optimism ("I hope this helps.") you would probably think I added that line to make you look like a fool.

To be honest, at the time I wanted to add the expression optimism to the support for your misinterpretation, it was sincere, but now I am really annoyed that you accused me of trying to make you out to be a fool.  

Edited by User 905133
to change "You probably can't even" to "I hope you can"