Spitifre LABS Cassette Synth

cclarry

12 minutes ago, cclarry said:

PS...I STILL have the "Install twice" problem

Open the library in the app and then click the settings icon and Repair. That way you don't have to redownload the whole library.

Edited by BTP
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

I had an installation problem trying to put LABS on 2 devices (desktop and laptop) using the same account and the Spitfire Audio application. It was like whack-a-mole trying to get the 2 devices to show them all installed correctly. If I installed a library on one device, the other one broke and was in need of "repair".

That was a while back and I finally gave up. No idea if that was ever fixed or if I was just missing something. I concluded that the installer wasn't able to make the distinction between 2 devices... 🙄

Edited by abacab
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, cclarry said:

I recently installed my new PC and just wanted to use the library from my old SSD. I  couln't get it running and had to redownload the whole LABS library again... Spitfire is awesome, but their management app is crap!

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, SVSX said:

I recently installed my new PC and just wanted to use the library from my old SSD. I  couln't get it running and had to redownload the whole LABS library again... Spitfire is awesome, but their management app is crap!

Oh that's bad news! I'm getting a new PC and was hoping that I could just copy them over. I realise I'll have to reinstall software programmes but thought I could just copy all my libraries across. Are there any other libraries you have had to reinstall rather than copy eg IK libraries

1 hour ago, JoeGBradford said:

Oh that's bad news! I'm getting a new PC and was hoping that I could just copy them over. I realise I'll have to reinstall software programmes but thought I could just copy all my libraries across. Are there any other libraries you have had to reinstall rather than copy eg IK libraries

Everything was working good (IK Sampletank, Miroslav, Syntronik Libs, Dimension Pro, XLN AD2 and many more) with exception of Spitfire LABS/BBC. Tried the repair and relocate function, it startet processing data but wasn't usable after it went "installed". 

Besides that, i had a bad experience with older Kontakt 2 Librarys (Ethno World 4, Complete Classical Collection 2, Galaxy Steinway, and Drums Overkill) whitch dind't include the .nicnt file. Native Acces 2 cannot locate Librarys without this file. So i had to install Native Access 1 to let it locate my data. Could not figure out a different way to do it manually. When i kontakted the support team they basically told me i should try to kontact my library supplier and bye. FU Native Instruments!

Oh and i had to redownload 65 GB of my Independence 3 Pro Library through Magix website again, because the Magix DLM coudn't recognize my existing folder correctly... So i dont know what to think about all of this... Some day it seems that many expensive and important librarys will not work anymore, whitch upsets me, cause i still use them and paid a good amount of money for their crap.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

The Spitfire Audio animal is a strange beast. It is what it is... 🙄

I don't think you should have any issues with Kontakt or IK libraries. Most modern sample players will allow you to "locate" your missing libraries after they are moved, or even offer to move them for you. Legacy libraries may be another issue for some players.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, abacab said:

The Spitfire Audio animal is a strange beast. It is what it is... 🙄

I don't think you should have any issues with Kontakt or IK libraries. Most modern sample players will allow you to "locate" your missing libraries after they are moved, or even offer to move them for you. Legacy libraries may be another issue for some players.

Thanks - I think the biggest issue apart from the sample library relocation and software re installation will probably be the unauthorising and reauthorising of stuff with at least IK, ilok, Amplesound to do and almost certainly several more. I think I may be best to make a list of what may need. With VSTs I imagine I am safest to reinstall rather than just trying to swap the DLLs to the new PC. I have around 1,000 VSTs according to Cakewalk (though I assume that includes 32bit, 64bit and VST3) at the moment - I think I will have a lot less when I move over to the new PC!

7 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

I think the biggest issue apart from the sample library relocation and software re installation will probably be the unauthorising and reauthorising of stuff with at least IK, ilok, Amplesound to do and almost certainly several more. I think I may be best to make a list of what may need.

Yes definitely make that list! And definitely unauthorize your iLok and Waves plugins if they are locally machine activated and you are not storing the licenses on a USB dongle. Those are the biggest headaches to recover if you leave them behind, especially if you no longer have online access from the original machine. An alternative with Waves licenses is to authorize them to a USB flash drive as a "pseudo" dongle that is portable, else unauthorize them and temporarily move them back to the Waves "license cloud".

Most other software can be authorized with a simple username & password, but your list should include serial numbers, etc. as insurance!

14 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

With VSTs I imagine I am safest to reinstall rather than just trying to swap the DLLs to the new PC.

Yes, install your VSTs!! Most plugin installers these days write to several folders, and sometimes even the registry, so just moving the .dll will fail in many cases.

• Thanks 1

Thanks - yes I've read horror stories about moving Waves & ilok - I think I should be ok unauthorising them as long as my current PC doesn't die before I get the new one - it seems ok - just reporting a power surge every time it boots up so I need to go through the BIOS screen every time. The PC isn't Win 11 compliant and about 11 years old now so I was going to change it soon anyway - this issue just speeded up my decision! 

1 minute ago, JoeGBradford said:

Thanks - yes I've read horror stories about moving Waves & ilok - I think I should be ok unauthorising them as long as my current PC doesn't die before I get the new one - it seems ok - just reporting a power surge every time it boots up so I need to go through the BIOS screen every time.

My horror story with iLok was when I killed my motherboard during a routine upgrade project. So there was no longer any way to deactivate the local soft licenses from the original machine. The only recourse for me was to email every software publisher the used iLok and request a reset.

At least Waves will give you 1 "get-out-of-jail-free" license reset annually if you mess up (and yes I even did that once).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abacab said:

My horror story with iLok was when I killed my motherboard during a routine upgrade project. So there was no longer any way to deactivate the local soft licenses from the original machine. The only recourse for me was to email every software publisher the used iLok and request a reset.

Did you get the licences back? If so, how long did it take?

19 minutes ago, antler said:

Sure did! And most of the publishers responded within 24 hours of sending the emails. But it was a major PITA trying to set up the emails with license details and where to send them.

https://help.ilok.com/faq_licenses.html

A machine-based license activation can become inaccessible for a variety of reasons. Some examples are:

• The machine was sold or decommissioned and the license activations were not deactivated first
  • Machine was lost/destroyed due to fire or other disaster
  • Upgrades (either hardware or software) have altered its configuration enough it is now being seen as a new or different machine

PACE DOES NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO APPROVE OR DENY requests for machine-based license resets. You must request a reset FROM THE PUBLISHER in order to return inaccessible license activations back into your iLok account.

*If you are using iLok License Manager version 5.5 or newer, you can submit the request from within iLok License Manager. See instructions below.

If you are not able to use version 5.5 or newer, please use the software publisher’s support channels to contact the publisher directly and request the reset.

*Cannot vouch for the new reset request process for version 5.5 or newer, as I have never used that. In either case it is still up the the software publisher to reset and restore licenses to your account. This new process would just remove the task of sending emails to everyone.

Version 5.5.0:

Added Ability to report an offline machine as unusable via Machine Details view or the context menu. Users can now initiate the Machine Reset process themselves, without needing to start a support ticket with a publisher.

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, antler said:

I went through something similar to abacab when I built a new system two years ago.  I thought I de-authed my iLok but there was a SNAFU.  iLok info said I should get all my licenses re-set after only one publisher re-set, and ALMOST all of them did fairly quickly.  I had a few Air titles that  wouldn't work, even though they were supposed to allow 2 auths, and I only used one.  Anyway, they finally reset them- six months later.  I wasn't using the ones I lost, and I forgot about them until the email came.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Interesting re Air - I have several of theirs including XPand2 which I like very much so hope I don't have the same issue! Fortunately I don't have any projects dependent on them as far as I know

One other issue will be the inability to use Loopcloud as the latest version requires that you have a paid subscription I believe. A shame as I have gone through favouriting thousands of samples 🤬