the day after woodstock

pwal³

12 minutes ago, jackson white said:

Heh, I almost saw the Beatles in 1969 as well, but my parents (who really didn't care about the Beatles) used my age as an excuse to not go.  Probably a good decision!

I was minus 3.

I watched some of it on TV 20 years later - the anniversary came at a time when I was broadening my musical horizons. Young people didn't really like old people's music back then, and the 60's and 70's were not yet "vintage" either,  just old and outdated. I remember other kids pointing their finger and looking at me kind of funny when I walked around with a copy of Black Sabbath's Sabotage and stuff like that under my arm in hight school... Can't imagine what it would have been if it had been Iron Butterfly or The Doors.

The 30 year cycle had not yet ellapsed. But by 89, things were starting to shift.

I liked bits of Santana, oddly enough, because of his band I guess. John Sebastian, Country Joe... Richie Havens really spoke to me. But a lot of it just semed a way too out there, long, confused and self-indulgent.

The real reason I watched it was Hendrix.  Back then, I had heard like 2 or 3 studio songs at most, so I didn't quite get all of what he was doing and a lot of it seemed whacky and sloppy and out of tune, but it still made quite an impression on me - especially Voodoo Chile.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Rain said:

I liked bits of Santana, oddly enough, because of his band I guess. John Sebastian

My parents knew John Sebastian. Said he was a nice young man. They worked in the restaurant at the private school he went to in NJ back in the 60s and got to know him there. I don't think he was famous or 'known' back then but maybe I'm wrong. My dad said he used to tell him stories of musicians who would come to their house. I remember him mentioning Burl Ives and others that I can't recall anymore. Ives stuck with me because it seemed so odd to me that he would be there.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Ives stuck with me because it seemed so odd to me that he would be there.

I get that, I remember him for his acting career in the '60's and '70's, and thought of him as an actor who sometimes sang ("Holly jolly Christmas, it's the best time of the year....").  Then I looked him up and found out that decades before, he was a household name as a singer and songwriter. He was a singer who took up acting.

Ives was a pioneer in the "folkie" scene. Had a folk radio show in the early 40's, a top-40 hit with a folk song ("Blue Tailed Fly" aka "Jimmy Crack Corn") in 1947. One of the people who ushered in the early-60's folk boom, which John Sebastian was initially a part of. For a folkie of Sebastian's age and stature, it would have been like having Woody Guthrie over to the house.

• Like 2

so what is it with burl ives?  is there some anniversary date or movie soundtrack reincarnation going on somewhere? in spite of being rather clueless about it all, was hit up this weekend to rearrange and track a song of his. the original being a bit "creaky", suggested a "beatlesque update" to make it a decade or two more interesting, but what do i know...

• Like 1

Burl is in the air I guess. He's probably influenced all of us indirectly, now that I think about it, due to his influences on the people who influenced us.

If he paved the way for Bob Dylan, he paved the way for Joni Mitchell, Rubber Soul....you name it.

As for movie soundtracks, anyone who's ever watched Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (which is everyone, innit?), remembers the narrator, Sam The Snowman, voiced by Burl Ives. He, as Sam, sings the song "Holly Jolly Christmas" which went to #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 as recently as 2020. It's been in the top 10 multiple times since it was first released. I'm getting these stats from Wikipedia. Amazing.

He also sang Yukon Cornelius' "Silver and Gold."

OK -

John Sebastián was with the Loving Spoonfull &  that was 65. But I don't think Burl Ives would have been at Woodstock. It's funny about John Sebastian because my first  exposure to him (other than the Woodstock album) was through Joe Cocker's cover of Darling Be Home Soon. Then I bought a kind of bootleg record of Sebastian playing a solo gig with an electric guitar, not a real high quality recording but I was surprised that Cocker & Sebastian were covering the same song.  The thing is I didn't even know about the Living Spoonfull till years later. 

It's kind of like the kids in the "Record" store saying hey look Pau McCartney was in another band before Wings.