ASIO4All problems

Michael Talada

2 hours ago, azslow3 said:

"FL Studio/ASIO4ALL/other generic" ASIO is visible from applications as ASIO. But they have to access hardware driver, which is not ASIO.

FL Studio ASIO is a WASAPI drive actually.

This is why the file's name is ILWASAPI2ASIO. Means Image Line (company name) WASAPI (The actual driver) To ASIO (Acts like an ASIO driver)

2 hours ago, azslow3 said:

Note that is not automatically expensive. Like 8 years ago I have payed around 20€ for M-Audio Audiophile FireWire, it has own ASIO and allows other apps in parallel. And it is still my "default" interface for desktop

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking to buy a simple mixer to route audios which is cheaper than you suggest then I gave up because I have no trouble with latency anymore with this solution. Also these are extra profits which comes besides working with multiple interfaces:

11 hours ago, murat k. said:

Also, it reduces the CPU load on the DAW, you can see the difference when you switch between WASAPI and FL Studio ASIO.
And also you can switch the active playback/recording sound device easily without having to open the Preferences menu.

And the new prefence "Enable MMCSS for ASIO Driver" made it better. In the past sometimes I was getting audio crackling on the playback, nowadays I don't get any issues.

1 hour ago, murat k. said:

FL Studio ASIO is a WASAPI drive actually.

This is why the file's name is ILWASAPI2ASIO. Means Image Line (company name) WASAPI (The actual driver) To ASIO (Acts like an ASIO driver)

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking to buy a simple mixer to route audios which is cheaper than you suggest then I gave up because I have no trouble with latency anymore with this solution. Also these are extra profits which comes besides working with multiple interfaces:

And the new prefence "Enable MMCSS for ASIO Driver" made it better. In the past sometimes I was getting audio crackling on the playback, nowadays I don't get any issues.

Well... a mixer was my second "audio interface", the third was VoiceLive Play (really that time I couldn't put all music equipment together into one place, so I had to use 3 computers as well, lol). Sure, I was also experimenting with ASIO4ALL at that time, more as an attempt to put VoiceLive Play and build-in Realtek together. Later was more interfaces and more software.

What I mean, I took rather long way to RME. With many "aha!" and "omg..." moments. And I can't say it was not interesting.  My current desktop setup is still a "workaround". I wish at least 8 inputs interface with low latency, which can work standalone. Some day I probably get UFX (or switch to Motu...). But the primary reason I don't have it already, is an attempt to come to the goal "cheap". I mean I have 8x8 + 2x4 interfaces permanently connected which do almost everything I need (8x8 can mix standalone). Just not perfect (latency and quality are not top).

So I just try to recommend everyone to find something which perfectly serve wishes from the beginning. I mean I recommend the short way instead of workarounds 😉

22 hours ago, murat k. said:

Actually the topic is about FL Studio ASIO vs WASAPI now. But thanks for sharing your thoughts. 🙂

Not according to the title which asks about asio4all.  I just gave my opinion having used it 10+ years ago and moved on.  I have enough problems in life without fixing bad drivers instead of making music.  It is like winding your own strings I in order to play guitar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i've found ASIO4ALL useful - however - i cleaned up all my other "ASIO" drivers and generally cleaned out any extraneous audio drivers. so now i have my Intel non-ASIO drivers, IMC ASIO, and ASIO4ALL. mostly use the WASAPI shared or exclusive modes. some VI require an "even boundary on 8" sample setting, and the WASAPI modes often fall on odd numbers (e.g. 441 vs 384 or 512). this is where the ASIO4ALL is handy - i can set it on an even boundary (it defaults to those), get my VI work completed, render to audio, then go back to my regular drivers. and then, unless i'm really in love with the VI, i'll relegate it to "do not use unless necessary", and a few VI were so annoying with the sample settings, i uninstalled them.

edit: forgot i have the Tascam DX ASIO driver as well for when i use my DX for recording. that one works really well and has never given me a problem (then again, the UMC ASIO driver is pretty solid as well)

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1