PRS Amp Sim (Waves)

Grem

1 hour ago, Jan Schmitz said:

making multiple exclamation marks

It's what I feel like doing. And I belive, regardless of what you believe, that this amp sim is worth $20. I n fact well worth $20!!!! : )

1 hour ago, Jan Schmitz said:

You people

And what do you mean by that?

• Haha 2

I find these to work best with 3rd party IRs, and definitely worth the $20.  There have been a ton of deals the last couple of weeks that would benefit new musicians even more than us crotchety veterans who have amassed tons of plugins already.  The PRS amps, Renn Max, and Total Studio 3.5 being examples. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

these to work best with 3rd party IRs

I am starting to explore this more and more. Haven't settled on a IR loader yet. BUt I have looked at the one from Audio Assault, Kuassa has one too that I have been using. And I have the stuff from RedWirez, Recab, and some Two Tones. 

Just now, Grem said:

I am starting to explore this more and more. Haven't settled on a IR loader yet. BUt I have looked at the one from Audio Assault, Kuassa has one too that I have been using. And I have the stuff from RedWirez, Recab, and some Two Tones. 

The Audio Assault loader is super flexible and easy to use; I just can't figure out how to change the default IR folder to the one I use.  The PRS Archon with Ownhammer IRs sounds REALLY good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grem said:

Melda MConvolutionEZ is surprisingly good (and free), makes wading through folders and folders of IRs easy.

MConvolutionMB is even better and more flexible and sounds great.

MCab is also interesting and has some advanced functions such as analyzing a whole folder of IRs and giving you a composite IR of that.  But the advance functions to take some work to figure out.

I have the Audio Assault one, the main draw back is the way you have to search for and load the IRs.  I appreciate it has some extra modules and you can export your custom IR, but it isn't the fastest workflow in general.

Nembrini's is cool, but tied to ilok.  

TwoNotes seems like more of a resource hog (have but don't use it much)

19 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Melda MConvolutionEZ is surprisingly good (and free), makes wading through folders and folders of IRs easy.

MConvolutionMB is even better and more flexible and sounds great.

I forgot about the Melda offerings. I have them! Thanks for reminding me.

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

I have the Audio Assault one, the main draw back is the way you have to search for and load the IRs.  I appreciate it has some extra modules and you can export your custom IR, but it isn't the fastest workflow in general.

Nembrini's is cool, but tied to ilok.  

TwoNotes seems like more of a resource hog (have but don't use it much)

I’ve been using MConvolutionEZ.  The other free options I have are not yet M1 Native.  AA’s IR loader is not yet M1 Native either.

Two Notes cab sim is a bit complex—I never gelled with it. They have a new one that’s in beta that has a cleaner design makes more sense to me.  I’ll have to try it out.

4 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

I find these to work best when you don't use them

I could say 'fixed that for you' but I won't 😇 . I've owned the Waves PRS collection since release day, probably have only used them once since then just to confirm or deny my original opinion of them. Opinion confirmed 😁 I won't say YMMV, because it obviously does, as a HUGE Waves fan I truly am glad to see that 👍

3 hours ago, Grem said:

I have all the IR Loaders mentioned in this thread plus a few more, settling long ago on Recabinet 5, followed up with Redwirez mixIR2 and mixIR3, with OVERLOUDs SuperCabinet coming on the scene later on. For SuperCabinet you are basically running TH-U as a glorified IR Loader, only having SuperCabinet loaded, it works great, but I only use it when I want to use its proprietary cab IRs, the Jensen's are super sweet. It can of course load other 3rd party IRs if desired. Apart from the infrequent use of some Rig Player Libraries, that's all TH-U gets used for. Apart from TONEX I mainly use Amplitube 5 which for me doesn't require 3rd party IRs, the first and 1 and only thus far, TONEX aside, everything else I have personally found 3rd party IRs to be a must.

[Edit] except for Melda IR compatible stuff, I haven't used any of them, I don't use Melda stuff, I value my eyesight to much 😎

Edited by heath row
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

the Audio Assault one, the main draw back is the way you have to search for and load the IRs.  I appreciate it has some extra modules and you can export your custom IR, but it isn't the fastest workflow in general.

Couldn't have said it better. Great little program that's ALMOST a PITA to get to the IR's. It has some great little modules that really allow a lot of flexibility for the IR's you do load. BTW, it's on sale for $5 right now. Not a bad deal at all. And you can get IR's for $2.50!

1 hour ago, ALC said:

Two Notes cab sim is a bit complex—I never gelled with it.

Agreed. But recently I gave it a shot again and was really floored with the results. Really a lot of control if you take a minute to figure it out. And it allows you to load a IR you don't own and try it out. The only catch? You get a moment of "silence" instead of the white noise thing. Which I wish more devs used instead of that damn white noise!! : )

52 minutes ago, heath row said:

settling long ago on Recabinet 5, followed up with Redwirez mixIR2 and mixIR3, with OVERLOUDs SuperCabinet

I do have those, and was a user of Recab since the first one. Redwirez too. Used them before they had their own IR loader. Ken (RIP brudda) with ABG had a IR loader called iFace that was designed to use Redwirez to their fullest long before other IR loaders came on the scene. And I just recently came across Overlouds IR program. 

• Thanks 1