CBB Reinstall CBB Advice & Second Opinion

TedPiano

Hi All,

Re: CBB Reinstall - & Deleting Cakewalk Core - Sorry for Being Expansive - but please any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated

Appears I need to fully reinstall CBB - However, fortunately Splat and previous Sonar X1 to 3 are working fine with all plugins e.g. Waves and Addictive Drums/Keys etc

I received the following advice from CBB Tech - which involved Registry Deletions and Backups - (See Below) including Deleting Cakewalk/Core

Please do not think I am criticising CBB Tech - I'm just being very very cautious because despite all these years of using Cakewalk I've never become a Tech person with confidence

I'll paste the advice from CBB below with my responses but would really appreciate a simple "Don't or Sounds Ok" - Please take the time to see the advice given by CBB and my actual situation - I really like CBB and would like to get it running again BUT if I'm moving into dangerous irreparable waters/dangers I'll stay with Splat and maybe get up to speed with Reaper

Thanks for any opinion and guidance - especially regarding my initial steps in following the advice/guidance

I can attached 3 screen shots regarding Deleting Registry Keys if that would help

CBB ADVICE - My Response

5) Delete the following Registry keys: If you do not have one of the Registry keys below, simply proceed to the next one on the list.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\ Core
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\ Core HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\ Core

As you will see from the screen shots only screen shot one shows the relevant file/folder as stated in your advice i.e.

Is it your advice to delete the whole Cakewalk/Core folder or is there a registry key inside the folder to delete?

Obviously my concern is that deleting the Cakewalk/Core file will affect all the previous versions of Sonar including Sonar Platinum

Is it also relevant that the HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE Files/Folders are not present?

thanks for the help

Best

Ed

CBB ADVICE

1) Uninstall Cakewalk by BandLab. This is normally done within the BandLab Assistant app. Go to BandLab Assistant > Apps > Cakewalk by BandLab, click on the arrow on the right side of the tab and select Uninstall. This will not remove any of your plug-ins, project files or audio data.

2) After the uninstallation completes, open the Run Prompt. In Windows 7, 8, and 10, open the Run Prompt by holding down the “Windows” key and pressing “R” on the keyboard.

3) At the Prompt, type regedit and click [OK].

4) Click [Yes] if asked to allow the program to make changes to your computer.

Important: When you access the Registry Editor, create a backup by going to File > Export. In the Export Registry File window that comes up, make sure “Export range” is set to “All” and that “Save as type” is set to “Registration Files (*.reg)”. It is very important to create a backup of your registry because if you accidentally delete a registry key there is no undo function. You can, however, double-click on the Registry backup you made above to re-import your registry keys if you make any mistakes. You must re-import your backup (if needed) before restarting your computer.

5) Delete the following Registry keys: If you do not have one of the Registry keys below, simply proceed to the next one on the list.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\ Core HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\ Core

6) Open the Run Prompt again.

7) Copy and paste %appdata%\Cakewalk into the prompt and click [OK]. On Windows 7, 8, and 10, the “AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk” folder will open.

😎 Right-click on the Cakewalk Core folder and choose “Delete.”

9) Delete the contents of the following directory: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

10) At this point, you can reinstall Cakewalk by BandLab from BandLab Assistant. Be sure to use the latest version of BandLab Assistant by clicking the gear at the top left and choose Check for Updates, then go to Apps > Cakewalk by BandLab, and click [Install].

The support response is similar to the instructions for the last versions of SONAR https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013392/SONAR-2015-Clean-Install-Instructions updated for CbB. Step 5 is a little mangled though. It should be

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\ Core

These registry entries are for CbB only and do not affect SONAR installs. In fact, the link I provided shows the registry entries for the last versions of SONAR.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I think you may have misunderstood my question, and I am totally familiar on how to do a clean install. I was a Sonar Platinum customer. The first step, however in the clean install is to uninstall the software.

I do not have an option available to delete the software from my computer. There is no uninstall tab or uninstall assistant present. I need to know exactly which files I can manually delete without disturbing my plug-ins. I also need to know if I can do uninstall via BandLabs  download assistant. I noticed a uninstall tab, but nothing happens when I click on the tab. Once I get the software out of my computer then I should be able to reinstall the software and continue with my projects which are on hold at the moment.

CaptureCakewalk.JPG

I would be very cautious about trying to delete the following in your registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\ Core

When I tried to follow these instructions my computer crashed and I had to put it in the shop. Windows will not allow you to remove the Node and if you force it you will probably have the same results. I would suggest that you delete only the following: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\ Core