Toontrack Phase 5 - Select Drum MIDI

cclarry

1 hour ago, telecode 101 said:

did anyone pickup EZKeys Folk Midi? Is it useful stuff? I am thinking maybe pick it up and wait for EZKeys 3. I assume it should work.

I grabbed EZKeys Folk MIDI for $12, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I am just collecting the EZKeys MIDI as they go on sale. But I'm not buying any more EZkeys instruments until they upgrade the GUI.

Judging by the demo tracks EZKeys Folk MIDI sounded usable.

6 hours ago, Zo said:

You guyz really using those midi stuff ?

That's the main point of the EZ line. Idea generator! For example, say you started with EZkeys (but you don't have to). Any melody would do.

EZbass can match a MIDI pattern in its library using "tap-to-find" to play a rhythm or record a melody, or an imported MIDI clip (via MIDI drop zone).  EZdrummer 3 can match up a library MIDI pattern with any MIDI or audio clip that you import (via Bandmate using guitar, bass, keys, or other), so you can quickly have a sketch of the melody, bass, and drums playing together in minutes.

I would say that it's a bit more "organic" than Band-in-a-Box. :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Zo said:

1 hour ago, abacab said:

That's the main point of the EZ line. Idea generator! For example, say you started with EZkeys (but you don't have to). Any melody would do.

EZbass can match a MIDI pattern in its library using "tap-to-find" to play a rhythm or record a melody, or an imported MIDI clip (via MIDI drop zone).  EZdrummer 3 can match up a library MIDI pattern with any MIDI or audio clip that you import (via Bandmate using guitar, bass, keys, or other), so you can quickly have a sketch of the melody, bass, and drums playing together in minutes.

I would say that it's a bit more "organic" than Band-in-a-Box. :)

so basically what i do with EZBass midi is I throw a rhythm midi pattern at it and then use it to find comparable patterns in its library. once i find something i like,  i reduce complexity completely and then export that midi to another track and use it with a bass part idea usually with a synth of some sort. it generates much better bass parts   than my doing it on my own as i am primarily a guitar player and not a bass player -- so my entire approach to parts does not come from someone firmly rooted in playing bass in a band.

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

19 hours ago, abacab said:

I grabbed EZKeys Folk MIDI for $12, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I am just collecting the EZKeys MIDI as they go on sale. But I'm not buying any more EZkeys instruments until they upgrade the GUI.

Judging by the demo tracks EZKeys Folk MIDI sounded usable.

i picked it up. defiantly usable for my uses.

18 hours ago, Zo said:

Oh yes. I have used it more than several ways. 

1. I took a piano part I like, created a song verse with it, wrote some lyrics, then form a whole song around that idea. The hook of the song ends up being a guitar part!! It allowed me to create a song without a guitar. I did it on a Surface Pro 3 at work!!

2. Used a chord progression that I had made up on guitar, stitched some piano parts together (that was a lot of work) from different midi clips I found in the EZK midi libraries I have and got a great song. It was like I had an accomplished piano player sitting right next to me, and they were able to hear exactly what I hear in my head, so they knew what I wanted, and was able to play it. Which I can't do!! I was able to tell them, no not that note in the middle, this note" "Play a fill at the end like this" "Don't go to that chord, stay in this chord". Actually it's kinda fun.

3. I have taken different chord progressions from the EZK midi library, put them together, tweaked a lot of the lines and notes to what I wanted it to do, then handed that to a very accomplished piano player. He was able to listen and see what I had done, was able to easily figure out where I wanted the song to go and hand me a very well done version of the song I wanted.

The ways to use this stuff is really limited by you.

I have learned to take parts of one midi clip and stitch it to another part and with a little :)  modification of some note duration/placement  have something that you would not be able to tell came from EZK.  I expected EZB to work the same, but it's a totally different instrument and took some new skills to make that work.

But any of the ideas I just mentioned above can be fed into EZB and come up with at least a good starting point. (A finished product takes some work!) And now with EZD3, that bass can be fed into EZD3 and it will have something useful to work with. Feed the EZK part into EZD3 and then combine the parts from the EZB and the EZK feeds into something that will give me some very good ideas on which direction I would like/could go.

They are useable. Very much so.

[Rant]

Downfall of EZK right now is the UI. That needs updating. Everything I described above is made worse by the UI. I would be happy with everything else staying the same (which it won't) when EZK2 comes out. Just give me a better UI!!! Like a midi grid! Piano Roll!! Something that I can edit the midi in EZK and not have to drag back and forth.

[/Rant over!! :)

Edited by Grem
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Grem said:

[Rant]

Downfall of EZK right now is the UI. That needs updating. Everything I described above is made worse by the UI. I would be happy with everything else staying the same (which it won't) when EZK2 comes out. Just give me a better UI!!! Like a midi grid! Piano Roll!! Something that I can edit the midi in EZK and not have to drag back and forth.

Right there with ya!!! :)

3 hours ago, Grem said:

Oh yes. I have used it more than several ways. 

1. I took a piano part I like, created a song verse with it, wrote some lyrics, then form a whole song around that idea. The hook of the song ends up being a guitar part!! It allowed me to create a song without a guitar. I did it on a Surface Pro 3 at work!!

2. Used a chord progression that I had made up on guitar, stitched some piano parts together (that was a lot of work) from different midi clips I found in the EZK midi libraries I have and got a great song. It was like I had an accomplished piano player sitting right next to me, and they were able to hear exactly what I hear in my head, so they knew what I wanted, and was able to play it. Which I can't do!! I was able to tell them, no not that note in the middle, this note" "Play a fill at the end like this" "Don't go to that chord, stay in this chord". Actually it's kinda fun.

3. I have taken different chord progressions from the EZK midi library, put them together, tweaked a lot of the lines and notes to what I wanted it to do, then handed that to a very accomplished piano player. He was able to listen and see what I had done, was able to easily figure out where I wanted the song to go and hand me a very well done version of the song I wanted.

The ways to use this stuff is really limited by you.

I have learned to take parts of one midi clip and stitch it to another part and with a little :)  modification of some note duration/placement  have something that you would not be able to tell came from EZK.  I expected EZB to work the same, but it's a totally different instrument and took some new skills to make that work.

But any of the ideas I just mentioned above can be fed into EZB and come up with at least a good starting point. (A finished product takes some work!) And now with EZD3, that bass can be fed into EZD3 and it will have something useful to work with. Feed the EZK part into EZD3 and then combine the parts from the EZB and the EZK feeds into something that will give me some very good ideas on which direction I would like/could go.

They are useable. Very much so.

[Rant]

2 hours ago, abacab said:

Right there with ya!!! :)

I agree. and defiantly needs a resizable  GUI.

I just finished playing around with it. It's actually quite usable but you have to rely on the midi editor functionality of your DAW. much more so than EZB which is very self contained. But EZK is quite usable if you use its midi browser favorites a lot. I built up chunks of a song into the favorites.  and then once done, i dragged them all together into one big song in the song track and from there into the DAW. once in the DAW, i am able to do more things with the midi.

I picked up the Hybrid Harp. I liked the sound of it when I first heard demos and its totally up my alley. a weird hybrid instrument. i dont have anything like that in my collection.

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 1