Celermony frustration

Øyvind Skald

Every time I upgrade my BIOS or something i have to  re  activate  Melodyne 4 editor. So now I it wasn’t enough activation. They say:

“Activation impossible

You have activated and deactivated Melodyne several times recently on different computers, so it is currently not possible to activate the application on another one. If you wish to run Melodyne on this computer ("X99-A-USB31"), please select one of the following alternatives:”

It is the same computer, same Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Graphic card, M.2 SSD, SSD, HDDs, Case and so on since I bought the upgrade in March 2018. Well I bouth a new HDD to put samples on this fall. But the computer is the same.

I just like to overclock and play with the BIOS sometimes, upgrade to the latest BIOS to get bugfixes and new features. And I have to wait till tomorrow to make it work, if they answer the mail and let me continue using the thing I bought, while NOT trying to copy their plugins to friends and fools.

ARRGGGGHHH

This thing does not happen when you have people working out serials and such. This thing happens when everything is automated and everything is Bots.

They ask for a iLok

I have a eLicenser, but they don’t want do use that, the bot say.

I don’t pay $ 50 for an iLok, to use a program that I paid for and have not miss used in any ways.

Some of my plugins (Overloud) use a normal USB dongle I have for license. That’s the best thing ever. If the dongle break, I can just replace it by one I have for spare, something I can’t afford with when iLok and such cost more than plugins themselves.

Well. I tried to have some fun today with recording a guitar solo and just edit some endings in Melodyne. But that is ruined now. Oh well. Might do something else than music then…

I hate that activation crap that's so common nowadays. For one thing, it forces you to have an internet connection to use the software. That's like forcing you to own a refrigerator and pay an electric bill before you can buy cold cuts. If I want to keep my cold cuts in a spring house out back instead, that should be my business. Also, look at video guys who have to do location recording in jungles or anyplace away from civilization where even cell phones won't work. If they're editing dailies on a laptop that craps out and they have to reinstall their backup, how are they going to get their software reactivated if they can't even get a satellite signal? This activation garbage should be outlawed. It never should have been allowed to begin with. I blame Microsoft. They were the first to require software activation widespread I believe.

• Like 1

Must say that they fixed the problem now.

That was a really fast response.

But as they say.

They want a you to activate after every computer changes.

The thing that might be my thing, is that I did dust the cabinet and might have changed the cables to the SSDs/HDDs. And I upgraded the BIOS too.

Everybody should do that once a year at least. You don’t need to take of the CPU cooler and put it on again, but at least clean the fans, take out things that might disturb the air flow. I did that. I had a HDD rack and took it out. But I had to hide 2 SSDs in the back.

And yeah. I use this computer to other Things than DAW too.

Conclusion:

Pros.

Celemony are fast and have a great service.

Cons.

This would not happen if they ha a better system of computer changes before desiring to activate their license again.

Yes, most of DAWs are untouched from birth to death, but there must be more people than me, that upgrade BIOS, drivers, settings, change placement of HDDs/SSDs to test out air flow, and upgrade hardware when we get money and can afford it.

Edited by ØSkald
  • Like 1