Jump to content
Lynn

Silver Lining

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'm very concerned about what's happening on our Mexican border so I wrote this song.  I'm trying to stay neutral on this, so I'm not calling anybody out, just drawing attention to the  situation.  The song can be found here:  https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13899237

 

Edit (7/16):  I redid the bass drum throughout this per suggestions from several of you.

Lyrics:

Raise your banners  high

Show them off with pride

Let your spirits fly

Swim against the tide

 

            There’s no way to ignore the crisis on the border

            The danger’s less or more to slip into disorder

 

The cost of living in a land of liberty

That’s the price we pay so we can all be free

 

CHORUS:

I remember when our children were the future

Throughout history we took the time to nurture

Now the day has come we just don’t hear them crying

We took their hopes away and stole their silver lining

 

Independence Day used to mean so much

But, lately something’s changed

It feels we’re out of touch

 

CHORUS

 

            We keep on finding ways to break a mother’s heart

            Her baby’s in a cage, her family’s torn apart

 

CHORUS

Edited by Lynn
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi m8

Love the message and the song, the mix needs a little tidying but nothing you can't handle ( sound a little rushed ? .. dunno I'll have another listen)

Powerful stuff though ...really is .. Great work, Great lyrics

Stay loose

All the best Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great song and performances Lynn.

Drums/Percussion could use some work imho - I think there's a couple of kick drums that needn't be there and they're muddying the water

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100% full speed ahead on this. The kick drum has a pattern that does not quite fit the groove. The groove is exemplified by congas, hi hats, and bass - make the kick sit with those and you are golden in the groove department.

Vocals are processed nicely, and a good performance to boot. Your mud factor I think is in the kick drum. Even when the "breakdown" happens towards the  end, if you drop the kick out, does it help your mix clarity?

I will keep my slightly less furry ears out for the remix :)

cheers,

-Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 8:22 AM, Hidden Symmetry said:

Difficult times these days & the urgency comes through in your song.

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen.

 

On 7/15/2019 at 8:25 AM, SPAK said:

Hi m8

Love the message and the song, the mix needs a little tidying but nothing you can't handle ( sound a little rushed ? .. dunno I'll have another listen)

Powerful stuff though ...really is .. Great work, Great lyrics

Stay loose

All the best Steve

Thanks, Steve for your time and comments.  I'll work on the mix.

On 7/15/2019 at 9:14 AM, daryl1968 said:

Great song and performances Lynn.

Drums/Percussion could use some work imho - I think there's a couple of kick drums that needn't be there and they're muddying the water

Daryl, thanks mate!  You're not the only one to point out the percussion issue.  I'm working on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absoflippinlutely, terrific number Lynn.  The music and instrumentation complement and accentuate some really poignant lyrics.  Sincere complements on your vocals.  They are urgent, express great emotion and are even somewhat demanding but they are not over selling the song (over selling the song - a pet peeve of mine).  Maybe a train drumming might be an alternative for the drums;  however, I don't have a great concern with what you used.  An excellent song with a message that needs to be heard.  Well done my friend!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 12:25 PM, emeraldsoul said:

100% full speed ahead on this. The kick drum has a pattern that does not quite fit the groove. The groove is exemplified by congas, hi hats, and bass - make the kick sit with those and you are golden in the groove department.

Vocals are processed nicely, and a good performance to boot. Your mud factor I think is in the kick drum. Even when the "breakdown" happens towards the  end, if you drop the kick out, does it help your mix clarity?

I will keep my slightly less furry ears out for the remix :)

cheers,

-Tom

Tom, I completely redid the bass drum throughout the song.  I had started out with preset grooves from SD3, but they had too much swing factor, so I hand programmed them with more of a straight feel.  Thanks for your thoughtful input!  It helps :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 1:49 PM, amiller said:

Cool lyrics.  They really speak to our current times.

 

7 hours ago, Joad said:

Love the lyrics, great song.

Thank you so much for your kind words!  Sometimes you get so full that it comes pouring out like tears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lynn
The light reverb on the voc is just right. Guitar accompaniment is excellent. The horns ~2:20 didn't work for me. Really liked the section ~ 3:20 with just the bass, voc and minimal percussion.
Great job esp on the lyrics!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Bjorn for you thoughtful input and taking the time to listen.  Sorry you don't like the horn section, but I'm glad you like the other parts of the song.  Btw, your new song is fabulous!  Can't wait to hear it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lynn, 

I salute you for taking on this highly charged subject matter and making a song about it ...Your song has a lot of good things going for it ...

I Dug your lyrics, vox , arrangement , guitar parts and the way you kept me guessing as to where the next change in the arrangement was gonna happen .

Since this song seems to be a work in progress I will stay tuned to hear your next Mix / Song  revision / installment .

Good Job 

all the best,

 

Kenny

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kakku said:

Very good. Lyrics worth reading

kakku, thanks for your time and kind words.  You've always been very supportive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kenny Wilson said:

Hi Lynn, 

I salute you for taking on this highly charged subject matter and making a song about it ...Your song has a lot of good things going for it ...

I Dug your lyrics, vox , arrangement , guitar parts and the way you kept me guessing as to where the next change in the arrangement was gonna happen .

Since this song seems to be a work in progress I will stay tuned to hear your next Mix / Song  revision / installment .

Good Job 

all the best,

 

Kenny

 

Kenny, thanks for your ears and time.  After reprogramming the bass drum, I'm going to stick with this version for the time being.  I could polish this up a bit, but I want it somewhat raw, kinda like Neil Young's  "Ohio",  if you know what I mean.  Thanks again!

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Very poignant!

Your reference to “Ohio” is spot on!

Many thanks for sharing. 

T

Tom, thank you for sharing your thoughts.  I'm very grateful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lynn,

Great song + strong message, love the lyrics of the chorus especially.

Great vocal performance + guitar solo as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

regards

paul

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×